News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Is this an original Shelby Cobra intake

Started by bsolo66, January 07, 2021, 09:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsolo66

Hello everyone, new guy here. Not a Shelby owner yet.....working towards it. Had opportunity back in 1971 to buy a 65 GT350 for $5000 but bought a Trimuph motorcycle instead. Yes, I am still kicking myself..! I currently own two 66FB's, a C code and recently a K code project (no original parts are left on it).
To my question, a friend of mine has and early 289 hipo engine that came with a Shelby Cobra intake and he is trying to determine if it is original. I initially asked this question on the Vintage Mustang Forum where I am a member.

mygt350

Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

gt350hr

Yes it is a genuine '66 intake . I responded to you on another forum about it too.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

s2ms

+3. Looks to be the late 66 - early 67 version based on having "offenhauser" stamped on the bottom casting post.
Dave - 6S1757

bsolo66

Quote from: gt350hr on January 07, 2021, 11:17:50 AM
   Yes it is a genuine '66 intake . I responded to you on another forum about it too.

And I appreciate it. Just wanted to get the take of the SAAC community as well, did not know you were a member of SAAC too.
Thanks again

gt350hr

Quote from: s2ms on January 07, 2021, 11:58:50 AM
+3. Looks to be the late 66 - early 67 version based on having "offenhauser" stamped on the bottom casting post.

Dave ,
       No boss for the thermactor "diverter valve" on #8 runner makes it a '66 only by my experience. It's identical to the one on 477's engine , though mine does say OECO  instead of the full Offenhauser.
    Randy

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gt350hr on January 08, 2021, 10:59:40 AM
Quote from: s2ms on January 07, 2021, 11:58:50 AM

Dave ,
       No boss for the thermactor "diverter valve" on #8 runner makes it a '66 only by my experience. It's identical to the one on 477's engine , though mine does say OECO  instead of the full Offenhauser.
    Randy
Randy some early 67's also used the same intake before the one for the smog came out.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

Yes I know some of the "non thermactor" engines did early on and the leftover '66 manifolds were used on them. Yours would be one of those for sure.
     Randy

J_Speegle

Quote from: gt350hr on January 08, 2021, 10:59:40 AM
....................... It's identical to the one on 477's engine , though mine does say OECO  instead of the full Offenhauser.
    Randy

Randy - yours has the firing order on the front runner also? 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350hr

No Jeff  (THANKS for catching me on that)  , mine is in the back , not on a port. Earlier than the OP's obviously. Part number size and placement is the same. I know better but my "photographic memory" didn't see that detail. Sorry for misleading anyone.
    Randy

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

gt350hr

Thanks JD , now that I see your pictures , Mine is also a "full A" not slant cut as the later ones were.

s2ms

Good opportunity for a shameless plug, anyone with an original 66 intake that hasn't already responded to the 66 Intake Version Survey please do so. Plenty of gaps still need filling in, especially concerning the square vs. angled Cobra "A".

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=4353.0

Thanks,
Dave
Dave - 6S1757

BGlover67

I think JD could write a book on intakes, I'd sure read it.  He sure has enough pics of them.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

shelbydoug

Quote from: BGlover67 on January 09, 2021, 05:22:39 PM
I think JD could write a book on intakes, I'd sure read it.  He sure has enough pics of them.

JD's "da Man!".  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!