News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Shelby walnut shift Knob

Started by shelby001, January 07, 2021, 01:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelby001

Looking for some help on this walnut shift knob with a cobra snake on it. A guy is bugging me about selling it to him but I have no Idea what its worth. I do know its on page two of the ` 60 s Shelby catalogue.

J_Speegle

Going to have to post a picture to help out. There are originals, aftermarket and reproductions depending on which one you have - then you have condition to consider.

Guessing that when you tried the search feature (always a good place to start IMHO) you found the following

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=3868.msg34224#msg34224
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelby001

This is the one I`am speaking of.

BGlover67

Yes, this is the Shelby aftermarket shift knob as seen in the Shelby catalog's from the mid '60s on.  It was available in both a leather wrapped version and this wood version, as well as in a Mustang, Cougar or Cobra motif.  I have found them with two mounting hole size varieties, so if you plan to mount and use it for a particular application, check if it is right for you.  If it is just for a collection, then it doesn't really matter.  I see them selling regularly from anywhere between $100 to $250, as confirmed per Worthpoint.com (A really cool website that lists the auction results for previous eBay listings, FYI)

There is a seller on eBay that makes a not so good wooden copy that lists for $65, and there is a beat up original wood example that has not been selling for a few weeks now priced at $250.  That should give you a good idea as to how to price this.  Lastly, I've attached a copy of my current shift knob collection.  These are fun to collect, IMHO.  Not a huge investment, but you're still collecting something Shelby from back in the day.  Not all of us can afford '65 R models, lol.  ;)

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

shelby001

Thanks for all your help ,much appreciated.

Corey Bowcutt

Quote from: BGlover67 on January 08, 2021, 03:26:00 AM
Yes, this is the Shelby aftermarket shift knob as seen in the Shelby catalog's from the mid '60s on.  It was available in both a leather wrapped version and this wood version, as well as in a Mustang, Cougar or Cobra motif.  I have found them with two mounting hole size varieties, so if you plan to mount and use it for a particular application, check if it is right for you.  If it is just for a collection, then it doesn't really matter.  I see them selling regularly from anywhere between $100 to $250, as confirmed per Worthpoint.com (A really cool website that lists the auction results for previous eBay listings, FYI)

There is a seller on eBay that makes a not so good wooden copy that lists for $65, and there is a beat up original wood example that has not been selling for a few weeks now priced at $250.  That should give you a good idea as to how to price this.  Lastly, I've attached a copy of my current shift knob collection.  These are fun to collect, IMHO.  Not a huge investment, but you're still collecting something Shelby from back in the day.  Not all of us can afford '65 R models, lol.  ;)

Brian that is an awesome collection!

BGlover67

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on January 08, 2021, 10:33:57 AM
Quote from: BGlover67 on January 08, 2021, 03:26:00 AM

Brian that is an awesome collection!

Thanks Corey.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative