News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Exhaust Chrome tips, Question...

Started by FordGT, January 05, 2021, 04:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FordGT

Can someone tell me how to identify a set of original exhaust chrome tips?  Is there a part number on them or certain way they are made?

Thanks

JD

there were two versions, two-piece, the joint was at the back-end of the bell followed by the one-piece.

Scott Fuller makes some NICE ones.

will look for images...Image posted,

added another image looking inside to see the end and the end of the smaller piece is visible inside, this is the same tip that is in the first two images above. (note file name is not the car number)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

FordGT

Any idea when the welded version switched over to the one piece tip?  Built date of my car is Feb 21st...

Thanks for the help....

Scott Fuller

The two piece version had an S7MS number on them. The one piece versions did not and are more generic in that regard. If you have some you're trying to identify and posted pictures I could probably tell you if they are original or not. Scott

Bob Gaines

Quote from: FordGT on January 05, 2021, 04:58:21 PM
Can someone tell me how to identify a set of original exhaust chrome tips?  Is there a part number on them or certain way they are made?

Thanks
Besides the other details mentioned Repros are typically designed to fit over 2" pipe . Original tip pipe is smaller to fit over necked down original turn out pipes coming from the transverse muffler. Many repros are out there.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

My car still had the original exhaust system and tips on it until around 2013....too far gone to save is what I was told.

I have SCOTT FULLER tips on my car.....perfection.

Scott Fuller

The general rule on changeover from the early tip style to the late tip style is car #1600.  I think I got that rule-of-thumb from Bob Gaines.

I have the original exhaust off of car 1637 and it has the early style tips on it with a 12/66 dated muffler and build date of 3/23/1967.

Ford GT - Check your car number, but based on the build date I would expect that it had the early style tips when new.

Scott