News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Did you know Carroll Shelby help fund Chili's restaurants

Started by FL SAAC, January 18, 2021, 07:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Some more "new" history? CS didn't have 2 nickels to rub together in 1975. He was surviving and paying the bills from what his GoodYear race tire franchise was earning. He left the country in 1974 and was still gone in 1976 when he started his Chili company from overseas. Lavine was the food startup guy I'd wager he pitched CS on getting into the Chili spice business.

Shelby left his home and the industry as a whole to begin a new life in South Africa in 1974.
While on the other side of the globe, he launched a new line of Texas-inspired chili mix. Similar to his impact on the automotive world, the name Carroll Shelby Chili grew throughout the food industry, and he had carved out a nice life for himself while dwelling in South Africa.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on January 18, 2021, 09:23:35 PM
Some more "new" history? CS didn't have 2 nickels to rub together in 1975. He was surviving and paying the bills from what his GoodYear race tire franchise was earning.

Wow, under these circumstances, it is surprising he held onto his 3 iconic Cobras.

Many would have cashed them out.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 2112 on January 18, 2021, 11:19:37 PM
Some more "new" history? CS didn't have 2 nickels to rub together in 1975. He was surviving and paying the bills from what his GoodYear race tire franchise was earning.

Wow, under these circumstances, it is surprising he held onto his 3 iconic Cobras.

CS did BK a few times but there were many places/companies where he could shuffle different assets. The tire company was his steady producer for all the time he owned it. He almost lost his Coupe when the guy who owned the Imperial Palace called his note. The guy running LV Speedway was married to the daughter of the Imperial Palaces owner. They got divorced and he got canned. The owner wanted his 2.5 million the SIL had loaned CS for the facility at the track (CS had never made a payment and guaranteed the loan with the Coupe). Kinda the same thing that happened in 67 when Ford took all the assets and trademarks of SA when his 1962 startup loan came due. I was always amazed he kept the last produced Lincoln convertible (1966?). Ford had given it to him.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Remember it was the mid 70s not many would want this type of vehicle

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Great info thanks for providing

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on January 19, 2021, 12:06:27 AM

CS did BK a few times but there were many places/companies where he could shuffle different assets. The tire company was his steady producer for all the time he owned it. He almost lost his Coupe when the guy who owned the Imperial Palace called his note. The guy running LV Speedway was married to the daughter of the Imperial Palaces owner. They got divorced and he got canned. The owner wanted his 2.5 million the SIL had loaned CS for the facility at the track (CS had never made a payment and guaranteed the loan with the Coupe). Kinda the same thing that happened in 67 when Ford took all the assets and trademarks of SA when his 1962 startup loan came due. I was always amazed he kept the last produced Lincoln convertible (1966?). Ford had given it to him.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Side-Oilers

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on January 19, 2021, 12:06:27 AM

Yep, Richie Kline was the Imperial Palace guy.   Met him a couple of times when he was building the racetrack.  Including when it was just dirt and sand.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model