News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Phil Spector dies in prison

Started by NC TRACKRAT, January 17, 2021, 09:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinface

I grew up in Garden Grove, CA. We had several enormous slot car tracks biking distance—so big the cars would run up and around the ceiling and fall onto nets where you retrieved them with hooks on broom sticks when they de-tracked. I have my Cox controller and a split window Corvette my father built with copper welding rod for the frame—way too valuable to ever loose—wonderful days of youth...

Side-Oilers

Quote from: Tinface on January 21, 2021, 03:47:11 AM
I grew up in Garden Grove, CA. We had several enormous slot car tracks biking distance—so big the cars would run up and around the ceiling and fall onto nets where you retrieved them with hooks on broom sticks when they de-tracked. I have my Cox controller and a split window Corvette my father built with copper welding rod for the frame—way too valuable to ever loose—wonderful days of youth...

Yes, the nets. And the employees working the "infield" who retrieved all the "off track excursion" cars and put them back on the track for you.

Some of the repeat offenders (and the guys who simply liked to cause crashes) had to pack up and go home for the day.

Nice idea for the copper frame.  My dad was an engineer at Hughes Aircraft, and he "may have" taken a couple of my cars to work and modified the motor/brushes for higher performance.  Probably used some special aerospace lubricants too.

Those then-new (late '60s) sticky tires (sort of a composite foam rubber, IIRC) were the thing to have, too.

Speaking of what we still have from those old days...I still have my Strombecker slot car track and controllers, and the D-Type Jag and a Ferrari (Testarossa perhaps) cars.  I got it as a Christmas present in 1963.

Great memories, for sure!
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

HistoryBuff

When I first arrived in Hollywood in 1965 I was surprised to see real race cars being driven in the street, like Ferrari GTOs, Ferrari 250LMs, Ferrari 412s, Porsche 904s, Comp Cobras, GT40s. In Michigan where i was from, some of these unmuffled cars would get you a ticket but some of these cars broke so many rules where did you start? Around 1970 I tagged along with the Ferrari Owner's club in drives through the Malibu hills and I remember twice when they put what would today be a million dollar over a cliff. I know Spector favored cruising the Sunset strip, where there were rock nightclubs. For some reason he painted fantastic claims on the car door of racing records that the Daytona coupe wasn't capable of.Maybe that was to impress his dates...

EdwardGT350

what was the liquid we put on the sponge slotcar tires?
1966 GT350 6s1761

honker

getting off topic here, we used methyl salicylate (it was meant for sore muscles) on our slot car tires, had a minty smell, the

pharmacist always was suspicious when we kids  bought it  ::)

Mike

shelbydoug

Quote from: honker on November 13, 2021, 11:47:36 PM
getting off topic here, we used methyl salicylate (it was meant for sore muscles) on our slot car tires, had a minty smell, the

pharmacist always was suspicious when we kids  bought it  ::)

Mike

Never used the stuff. I still have the Cox GT40 and Chaparral.

I had them out and on the track a few years ago and still can't figure out how to make them brake. Some things never do change.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

trotrof1

We used similar products for RC racing indoors called Trinity "Magic Bite" and Paragon FX 2 traction compound. You get a couple dozen racers using this stuff and it would knock your socks off.

shelbydoug

Quote from: trotrof1 on November 14, 2021, 09:44:07 AM
We used similar products for RC racing indoors called Trinity "Magic Bite" and Paragon FX 2 traction compound. You get a couple dozen racers using this stuff and it would knock your socks off.

You drink it straight or you mix it?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

trotrof1

You just apply it to the foam rubber tires and the collective fumes could be too much to take. Caution, keep away from heat, sparks and open flame, prolonged breathing. It would soften the tire for a few laps until the the tires can heat up.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: HistoryBuff on November 13, 2021, 10:29:50 PMSpector favored cruising the Sunset strip, ..... For some reason he painted fantastic claims on the car door of racing records that the Daytona coupe wasn't capable of....
If I remember every record that Specter painted on the doors of his Coupe with house paint were correct for the Daytona Coupes.

The Simmone museum is no stranger to "creative history"

When the news surfaced in the Los Angeles Times, among other places, somehow an individual claiming to be Dorothy Brand's boyfriend Not a "boyfriend" just a friend who happened to be maleclaimed that he had been promised the car by Dorothy, although there was no convincing evidence, Other than a signed pink slip and key to the storage locker according to the judge, that this had happened. Unfortunately for Mr. Eyears, the litigation required to prove that this was a commercially viable sale and to come to a settlement with the boyfriend, ended up in substantial costs and 1-2 million in his pocketwhich he did not expect.

When we had the car back in Philadelphia we set about deciding what to do with it. First, we removed the incorrect writing on the car's door, made with house paint by using a fine surgical blade which easily dissected the house paint off of the original Guardsman Blue.

The chalky white caulk material, which I never definedbut in the above paragraph he admits it's house paint, at certain places on the body, easily came off. Underneath these areas, the paint wasn't oxidized, and this produced an irregular appearance. By compounding these areas we discovered that there were, in fact, several layers of Guardsman Blue, Car was originally Viking Blueapparently all put on at the Shelby factory, When Jim Russell (Russkit slot cars) bought the car from SA there was a fresh street long block with Webers in the car - Russell had the car painted and the interior brought up to street car level. He sold it to Specter for $12,500 - about 3 times what he paid. since there was no evidence that the car being repainted after being sold. Going over the whole car with medium compound, we brought out the uniform finish, careful not to polish the paint, after which we would lose some uniformity in the reflections.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

1109RWHP

One of the claims on the door was that it went 227 mph.

Side-Oilers

^^^ And that Spector was 6' 3" tall.      Or was it 3' 6" tall?  :P
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 1109RWHP on November 14, 2021, 07:59:45 PM
One of the claims on the door was that it went 227 mph.
Yeah he missed that one by 40mph. It did hit 187 at Bonneville on it way to setting 23 records.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless