News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

5S089 on Craigslist

Started by silverton_ford, January 23, 2021, 10:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbymann1970

Quote from: s2ms on January 26, 2021, 09:56:33 PM
Did a layer over in photoshop, don't see any issues. IMO any differences can be easily explained by reflections, camera angle, etc.
Depth of stamp can vary also. It is put in by humans and pressures and such can determine a stamp. Stamps wear out and have to be replaced. What was Ford's quality control to the company who made the stamps for them. If it was a 3/16th "star" stamp whose to say they couldn't vary. Ford a long time I worked in the stamping field for GM and we just changed stamps on a daily basis off of what was ordered. A friend of mine said he thought he had  a bunch of those star stamps given to him by his dad who worked for Ford down in an Ohio plant. He has yet to find them but his 3 car garage is filled up with Home Depot products(don't ask) and he hasn't found them yet. I'd love to see if they were all exactly the same. Also look at Little Red's vin stamps. I got pics of the DS fender apron stamped twice and they are offset front to back. So the placement means little to me. I'd think anyone trying to re-stamp would sure as heck make sure it was in between the notches of the fender opening. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 27, 2021, 06:51:30 AM
I am not well versed on the early cars, were panel date codes stamped in with hand stamps or pressed into panels?

PS: I am not going to try to take  sides or evaluate this car over a couple interweb photos, just trying to learn.
I don't think a person could make a stamp that deep stamping by hand.  We used to change date stamps daily and by shift in my facilities at GM where I used to work. The differences in depth could and can be changed by shimming the stamp block that holds the stamps. Done that many times. Of course date codes were there for quality control.  Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

I by no means have the professional experience you have, but some of the stampings in reply "27" look hand stamped to me. Thus likely indicating a replacement panel.

Special Ed

Pete must be looking at the 1 & 3  # fonts  and the group # alignment on the date code.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Special Ed on January 27, 2021, 11:05:34 AM
Pete must be looking at the 1 & 3  # fonts  and the group # alignment on the date code.

The radiator support stamping?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

J_Speegle

In the picture above (turned side ways I believe)  do we believe/agree that to the left hand side is the up or top of the radiator support?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

427hunter

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 27, 2021, 12:11:13 PM

Do other 1965 date code number ones have an underscore like this? Or a number two without the little curl up at the end of the underscore?

Can someone who owns a 65 post the number font used.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

J_Speegle

Quote from: 427hunter on January 27, 2021, 03:45:58 PM
Do other 1965 date code number ones have an underscore like this? Or a number two without the little curl up at the end of the underscore?

If your going down that path suggest examples focus on same stamping plant and time period just to be sure
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

427hunter

Quote from: J_Speegle on January 27, 2021, 04:16:21 PM
Quote from: 427hunter on January 27, 2021, 03:45:58 PM

If your going down that path suggest examples focus on same stamping plant and time period just to be sure

I agree - someone with a SJ 65 please post front inner Sheetmetal 1,2,3 and the letter C please..

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

427hunter

This is the number font I would expect to see on a SJ date code these cars are 5 days apart.

vs the 65 in question.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

J_Speegle

Quote from: 427hunter on January 27, 2021, 05:18:44 PM
This is the number font I would expect to see on a SJ date code these cars are 5 days apart.

Believe you meant to write "these two parts have dates 5 days apart" ;) We don't really know when either were really completed. It's the date stamp that is the focus

As you have likely found, front inner fender panels were stamped at another plant

427hunter

Quote from: J_Speegle on January 27, 2021, 06:06:16 PM
Quote from: 427hunter on January 27, 2021, 05:18:44 PM

Believe you meant to write "these two parts have dates 5 days apart" ;) We don't really know when either were really completed. It's the date stamp that is the focus

As you have likely found front inner fender panels were stamped at another plant

Rather then play word games, lets stick to the font. Do you have an example to provide ?

P.S. it would stand to reason that if similar date coded parts arrived at SJ for k code assembly to fill orders for cars sent to Shelby, the font should be the same.  This is why I am asking for someone to post some date codes of 65 SJ cars. Both above examples are from GT350's with very close date codes yet the car that was said to have inner fender work has different font, other examples may shed some light on this discussion.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

CharlesTurner

Quote from: 427hunter on January 27, 2021, 06:08:19 PM
Rather then play word games, lets stick to the font. Do you have an example to provide ?

P.S. it would stand to reason that if similar date coded parts arrived at SJ for k code assembly to fill orders for cars sent to Shelby, the font should be the same.  This is why I am asking for someone to post some date codes of 65 SJ cars. Both above examples are from GT350's with very close date codes yet the car that was said to have inner fender work has different font, other examples may shed some light on this discussion.

Most of the other inner fender date stamps are 'D' (Dearborn) metal stamping plant.  The rad support has a 'C', which if I remember right is Cleveland. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge