News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

CHECKERED FLAG..Bruce Kawaguchi

Started by Wedgeman, January 24, 2021, 01:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wedgeman

Heartbroken is the only word I can use when I learned of Bruce passing yesterday...RIP " GOOCH "  :'(

FL SAAC

Our sincerest and deepest condolences goes out to the family and friends.

R. I. P. Sir
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Yes I heard early this morning. It was good to catch up with him at the last LA SAAC day at Willow.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

Oh no!!!!  Bruce was one of the first people I met when I got into the Shelby and COCOA clubs 40+ years ago.   

He was also my dentist for all those years until I moved away from West L.A. where his office is.

This is a shock to me. Bruce was a kind and caring person, soft spoken, and a true Shelby guy. 

He had owned one of the original Carroll Shelby Driving School GT350s since the early '70s. It needed a lot of work, and Bruce kept it in his garage  at home for all that time, working on it mostly by himself, little by little until it was finally completed, ten or so years ago.

I saw him right after one of the other remaining CSDS GT350s sold at auction for $1M or so, and I said it must make him feel really good to know that.

His grinning answer was "I hope my wife doesn't hear about it, or she'll make me sell it."

Please post if anyone hears that there will be an online memorial.   He and his wife Judy did not have children. 

What a loss to our hobby and to anyone who ever knew him.

RIP Gooch.

Van

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

shlby66

Deepest, heartfelt sympathy and condolences, to Gooch's family. Gooch, was a wonderful friend and mentor.

RIP, My Friend.

Doug Cresanta   

Vernon Estes

Awful news.  Bruce was one of the best that the hobby had to offer. A friend to so many. Bruce was always so supportive of me in my early days of involvement in the hobby.

A great guy. May he rest in peace...heaven just got a LOT faster.

Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

mygt350

During last SAAC meeting in Calif., with my youngest son, had honor of meeting Bruce, "Gooch" as he quickly instructed me to call him. He was doing hot laps and during break, we asked what ring we had to kiss to get a ride with him. He told me to get long sleeve shirt, fill out this release form and offered me his spare helmet and off we went. He was extremely competitive and honestly, my seat had a crease in it after half dozen hot laps...Best ride of my life. Have couple pictures of us in his car that I will always remember. Even though I might have asked "several" off the wall questions, he always responded and was so helpful. I will remember his generosity and patience he gave me that day.
GOD speed my friend.
Martin
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

6s1802

Bruce, The GOOCH, Kawaguchi, The Flying Dentist, was one of the original members of the Los Angeles Region. He was our senior driving instructor at our open track events. Bruce was a hardcore early G.T.350 pilot. Between his #134 car and the #29 car he was rarely in your rear view mirror and usually showed you the fastest way around Willow as you tried to keep up with him. When you look up the term nice guy yo see a picture of him. In some 30 years I have never seen him upset. Bruce was a true gentleman and we are all crushed by his loss. It will be hard lapping Willow Springs without thinking about him. Cancer is a horrible thing.

bigmmac

Sad news,  he was always so nice and willing to talk, share knowledge or Drive the pants off his GT350.  My condolences to his family and friends.

BGlover67

So sorry to hear this.  I reached out to him a few years ago, and even though he didn't know me from Adam, we had a nice correspondence being both dentists and Shelby fans.  I'll pray for his family.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/videos/bruce-kawaguchi-s-original-carroll-shelby-driving-school-g-t-350-mustang/0_lci2ro3w/
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

CSX2259

Bruce was a helluva guy, I will miss him. RIP GOOCH

Side-Oilers

Brian, thanks for the link.   I had not seen the video before. 

For those here who did not know Gooch, he was as humble and soft-spoken as he appears in the video. 

He was a great dentist too.  We had 30+ years of car discussions with his fingers in my mouth.  :o ;D
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Brant

Prayers and thoughts to the family. What a tough loss for this great hobby too.

Bruce was just a super guy...that's all you can say. He really was.

We are on opposite coasts, but I was fortunate to meet him in person. We emailed back and forth quite a bit as he was currently restoring his little HiPo coupe that he was so excited about. In fact, I just searched my emails to read our last correspondence.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

texas swede

Very sad news. Bruce was one of the first SAAC members I communicated with from Sweden when he had
some 67 parts for trade/sale. Among others the under dash instruments and pod. Met him in 2010 in CA.
RIP Bruce.

pchmotoho

Even though I would only see him once or maybe twice a year their was always a smile on his face and he would treat me as if I was a life long friend whom he sees all the time.

Not just a great car guy but more importantly just a great guy overall.

RIP