News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 GT500 rear axle id label

Started by shelbydoug, January 30, 2021, 09:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

I can't find a picture or data information on anything earlier then a '68. Anyone have anything they can post here please?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 30, 2021, 09:02:20 AM
I can't find a picture or data information on anything earlier then a '68. Anyone have anything they can post here please?
They are basically the same as the 68 but with the 67 axle tag information substituted. Jack at Dead Nuts On can have them made up . You will need to push him a little . I have already talked to him about the need recently and encouraged him to get going on it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 30, 2021, 11:53:03 AM
They are basically the same as the 68 but with the 67 axle tag information substituted. Jack at Dead Nuts On can have them made up . You will need to push him a little . I have already talked to him about the need recently and encouraged him to get going on it.

I know it's the same info as on the tag but I don't know how that is placed and what it should look like?

Have you actually seen '67s with labels that you think are original?

I actually remember my '68 had one and for some reason I don't recall, I remember scraping it off when I was installing a new exhaust system? Kids? ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

From my picture collection of these from many of the years they appear to have been wrapped around the rearend housing on the drivers side - basically around the section that would end up being under the inboard axle U bolt or very close to that location. 

Many colors of paper were used though the years for these labels for 67 and our applications here it appears that the paper was white with black print. Like all of the there is an identification code that is printed horizontally on the paper that repeats is self over and over again. Label appears to be taken from a large roll of them and applied by a worker
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 30, 2021, 12:50:20 PM

I know it's the same info as on the tag but I don't know how that is placed and what it should look like?

I actually remember my '68 had one and for some reason I don't recall, I remember scraping it off when I was installing a new exhaust system? Kids? ::)
I have seen others on 67 but I took the original off of 0001 and had it remade . First by myself and wasn't satisfied,second I sent the original to Kevin Marti and after some time and no news I called to check on it and found that he had lost my original. Fortunately I saved copies. I then had it made up by the guy that Jack eventually started using to make them up. That is how I know Jack can do them.I would just as soon see you get them through him.If someone else wants to step up and do them more power to them however I would feel guilty if I contributed to undermining Jack's effort. I hope you understand my position.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 30, 2021, 01:47:52 PM

I have seen others on 67 but I took the original off of 0001 and had it remade . First by myself and wasn't satisfied,second I sent the original to Kevin Marti and after some time and no news I called to check on it and found that he had lost my original. Fortunately I saved copies. I then had it made up by the guy that Jack eventually started using to make them up. That is how I know Jack can do them.I would just as soon see you get them through him.If someone else wants to step up and do them more power to them however I would feel guilty if I contributed to undermining Jack's effort. I hope you understand my position.

I'm ok with staying with your guy within reason. How many years are you waiting? Time is a'waistin'.  8)

Considering computers, scanners, printers and editing software it's within realm for individuals to do their own IF we know what they should look like? ;)

Not to be critical but I wouldn't let the original out of my site. A good copy is a different story.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 30, 2021, 02:44:33 PM

I'm ok with staying with your guy within reason. How many years are you waiting? Time is a'waistin'.  8)

Considering computers, scanners, printers and editing software it's within realm for individuals to do their own IF we know what they should look like? ;)

Not to be critical but I wouldn't let the original out of my site. A good copy is a different story.
I don't need one so it is not me needing to apply pressure. Someone else will have to have the will. As I said before more power to them if someone else wants to do them they will just have to succeed without my input for reasons I mentioned before. When I let my original be borrowed it was as a prerequisite that it would only be done if a original was supplied because back in the day 91/92 it was not recognized as something that came on the cars and I was convincing a stubborn individual who was and still is a friend so I didn't see much risk.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 30, 2021, 02:56:36 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on January 30, 2021, 02:44:33 PM

I don't need one so it is not me needing to apply pressure. Someone else will have to have the will. As I said before more power to them if someone else wants to do them they will just have to succeed without my input for reasons I mentioned before. When I let my original be borrowed it was as a prerequisite that it would only be done if a original was supplied because back in the day 91/92 it was not recognized as something that came on the cars and I was convincing a stubborn individual who was and still is a friend so I didn't see much risk.

Wow. You are VERY patient to wait 29 years?

I heard a story/joke the other day about a guy moving into a new place and finding a shoe repair ticket, 30 years old.

He recognized the name of the shop and it seemed to still be in business and was curious. So the next day he brought the claim ticket to the shop and handed it to the owner. The guy went in the back to look and came back in a few minutes and said, "they will be ready next week. Come back then".
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Yeah right  I was going to wait 29 years. ::)  In my case it was only a couple of years after my original was lost that I found a source that made them better then I could. The guy that does them was not motivated for production until Jack got him fired to do them for him. He had only been interested in doing them for the 69/70 cars for a few that knew him because those were the only cars he had examples for.

68stangcjfb

I had this tag made by Dead nuts on about 5 years ago . I ordered two of them in case I needed a spare. This is a 68 1/2 Mustang GT Cobra Jet 3.91 tag. The quarter in the picture is for size reference. The other photo is my 68 1/2 Torino GT Cobra Jet rear axle. On this car, the tag was located under the outer U bolt (The one on the right in the photo). Sorry the picture is upside down. If it were right side up it would be the one on the left. I removed a remnant of it but I have to find that piece. If you look close, you can still see a bit of the paper still there. Also a 3.91 gear car.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

shelbydoug

What is the information on the label?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

68stangcjfb

From what I can make out, the same as the new one .
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 30, 2021, 08:11:14 PM
What is the information on the label?

Believe you will find it it the axle code. In the example above there is some addition designs not found on all examples of these labels

Can understand Jack's hesitation since I think we would all see correct labels rather than incorrect ones due top lack of documented original examples

Made out of paper without a protective coating they we're designed to last more that a few months  in good locations
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

68stangcjfb

About 10 years ago, I was privileged to have a small tour Of National Parts Depot's Warehouse in Florida. They have a lot of very low mileage cars in there. I was looking at a Green 68 Torino GT 302 Fastback that if I remember correctly has less than 10 miles on it . I wish I took some photos of the underside because if any car has an intact tag on it it would probably be that one. If someone lives in Florida near NPD, If they can get some detail photos of these cars, It would probably help greatly!

J_Speegle

Quote from: 68stangcjfb on January 30, 2021, 08:37:04 PM
About 10 years ago, I was privileged to have a small tour Of National Parts Depot's Warehouse in Florida. They have a lot of very low mileage cars in there. I was looking at a Green 68 Torino GT 302 Fastback that if I remember correctly has less than 10 miles on it ..............

For this specific need I think we need to focus on 67's only. This is where too much non-specific information might muddy the waters. Now for 302 68's a picture of that in the 68 section might be helpful for those individuals than have related cars

Have 40-50 examples across the early years but can't post pictures at the moment  :(