News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT350 on CL

Started by JWH, February 04, 2021, 11:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royce Peterson

The soccer mom gray is a downer. If they were going to change the color why pick a non color? Yuck.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

rcgt350

Is that right to have the Ford VIN in full view? I've never seen it, but I haven't seen them all either.
I thought it had to be covered over with the Shelby Tag.

capecodmustang.com

Quote from: rcgt350 on February 07, 2021, 01:30:14 PM
Is that right to have the Ford VIN in full view? I've never seen it, but I haven't seen them all either.

I have a 67 and you can clearly see the Ford number..

shelbymann1970

Quote from: GT350DAVE on February 07, 2021, 09:15:37 AM
The Ford Vin. look good to me and it matches the Marti report.
Dave
the second digit doesn't look like a "R" but could be a "faint" stamp and the 6th digit is a "2". All other digits are the same as the marti. See pic below. I just think it is a mis stamp.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Quote from: Royce Peterson on February 07, 2021, 11:46:18 AM
The soccer mom gray is a downer. If they were going to change the color why pick a non color? Yuck.

I absolutely love that color. There were originals in this color or something very very close.

And I wouldn't be caught in driving anything that could even remotely be described as a soccer mom vehicle.

Bob Gaines

The Ford vin was meant to be stamped so as to be visible in the notch of the fender for that purpose. That Ford VIN is slightly off from typical. The Shelby VIN plate was meant to cover the Ford VIN for less confusion .In both instances you had humans doing the work so it could vary and did. This is a example of one that varied . It looks a little different from typical but not extremely out of the ordinary.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350DAVE

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 07, 2021, 02:01:07 PM
The Ford vin was meant to be stamped so as to be visible in the notch of the fender for that purpose. That Ford VIN is slightly off from typical. The Shelby VIN plate was meant to cover the Ford VIN for less confusion .In both instances you had humans doing the work so it could vary and did. This is a example of one that varied . It looks a little different from typical but not extremely out of the ordinary.

+1
Many of the 67's were also double stamped which in some cases moved the number so you could see it.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

J_Speegle

Quote from: 69mach351w on February 07, 2021, 03:30:50 PM
Read reply #17 Shelbymann.

You know Stanley Tucker bought the first Mustang 100001. That doesn't mean he bought the 100,001th Mustang. He bought the first Mustang.

So that means that the Shelby in question here Ford #213587 is actually the 113587 vehicle produced.

Think you might mean that #213587 is actually the 113587 vehicle assigned a VIN in that sequence. Cars were not produced in sequential order and of course there were other lines in the same factory producing cars at the same time as the line for Mustangs/Shelby/Cougars that year
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

Quote from: 69mach351w on February 07, 2021, 05:12:19 PM
Quote from: J_Speegle on February 07, 2021, 03:49:42 PM
Quote from: 69mach351w on February 07, 2021, 03:30:50 PM
Read reply #17 Shelbymann.

You know Stanley Tucker bought the first Mustang 100001. That doesn't mean he bought the 100,001th Mustang. He bought the first Mustang.

So that means that the Shelby in question here Ford #213587 is actually the 113587 vehicle produced in that sequence.

Think you might mean that #213587 is actually the 113587 vehicle assigned a VIN in that sequence. Cars were not produced in sequential order and of course there were other lines in the same factory producing cars at the same time as the line for Mustangs/Shelby/Cougars that year
That's EXACTLY what I said, read it again ::)

And I said "Vehicle" not Mustang.

Yes read it and that is why I posted.  :o

"is actually the 113587 vehicle produced." is not EXACTLY the same as "is actually the 113587 vehicle assigned a VIN"

Notice the difference

Don't know where the attitude came from just trying to help explain what took place
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

"is actually the 113587 vehicle produced."  Yes that was a quote to show a comparison between the two posts you said were exact.

To others watching, just wanted to make a point about the differences between the assignment of VIN's and production order as has been discussed in many other threads. What followed is unnecessary and not beneficial to the discussion or thread.

Coralsnake

There is a fundamental misunderstanding of how these cars were built.

Here is an example to illustrate how things were done:

The example shows 15 cars built over five days.

Day and serial numbers (1-15) are assigned (scheduled) by a computer

Mon

1,3, 15

Tue

2, 4, 12

Wed

5, 7, 14

Thurs

6, 9, 13

Fri
8, 10, 11

The actual build order could also be very different. In this example car #1 may have been the last car built on Monday or possible not built until later in the week.

Serial numbers really have nothing to do with being sequential or order of build.

Car 15 could be the third car assigned/scheduled and built in this example.

This is an over simplification, but hopefully it helps.