Author Topic: Rear quarter radio antennas on 65s  (Read 4792 times)

csx289

• View Profile
Rear quarter radio antennas on 65s
« on: February 05, 2021, 09:49:37 AM »
Hi All,

Looking for pics of dealer installed rear quarter radio antennas on 65s. Trying to see if there was any rhyme or reason to where they put them. Also if anybody has any info on where it was suggested they should I'd love to know if such guidelines existed or if it was "just put it in the back somewhere to avoid the RF that comes through the hood!"

Thanks!

Colin

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rear quarter radio antennas on 65s
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 10:22:42 AM »
The handful of '65's I've seen that had original style radio (Ford) installations had the antenna on the RH fender like a regular Mustang.  Antenna's were always dealer installed, though, so there's some slight variance, but not much.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

csx289

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 10:29:11 AM »
Thanks Charles.

I'm working on an early '65 sold new at HPM with an AM-FM installed (on the invoice) and they put the antenna on the LR quarter. My other '65 from HPM had the same but I removed it years ago because I could never hear the radio anyway lol. Just trying to determine if there was any uniformity as I've seen them on the left, right, forward, back, etc. And I know it was recommended to put them at the rear on GT350s but it seems most dealership techs followed the Ford instructions and popped them on the RF fender...also avoided having to run a cable through the interior to the trunk.

In any event would love to see pics to compare.

Thanks!

Colin

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 11:28:21 AM »
Thanks Charles.

I'm working on an early '65 sold new at HPM with an AM-FM installed (on the invoice) and they put the antenna on the LR quarter. My other '65 from HPM had the same but I removed it years ago because I could never hear the radio anyway lol. Just trying to determine if there was any uniformity as I've seen them on the left, right, forward, back, etc. And I know it was recommended to put them at the rear on GT350s but it seems most dealership techs followed the Ford instructions and popped them on the RF fender...also avoided having to run a cable through the interior to the trunk.

In any event would love to see pics to compare.

Thanks!

Colin
Colin, HPM did many radio installations for SA. The vast majority were on the right front fender. The reason for that most likely is because the instruction sheet that came with the radio kit includes a template for laying out the position of the antenna on the right front fender. That front mount made it fast and easy. The rear not so much. Dealer installation would typically follow the same procedure. A rear antenna install requires different parts not included in the kit along with a higher labor rate. As Charles mentioned since it wasn't Ford installed there could be variations. It was out of the ordinary for a rear mount antenna on a 65. I am not saying it was never done but certainly out of the ordinary. The way we handle out of the ordinary occurrences in concours as a example is for the entrant to provide reasonable proof . Reasonable being the key word which allows for many possible ways but the burden is still on the entrant. The main incentive for rear antenna was for less AM static from interference coming from the unshielded all or partial fiberglass hood. This fix was typically discovered in later models after the cars had been out for a few years and incorporated into the design.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

csx289

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 11:43:44 AM »
Hi Bob,

I agree completely- and in my post above draw the same conclusion you have. It was easier and faster to punch the hole on the RF fender and follow the Ford instructions.

I purchased the car I am working on from the original owner's estate. He bought it new at HPM in '65. On the invoice is noted his addition of a Ford AM/FM and they installed it with the antenna in the rear. LR quarter in fact. It's just in a different location than the one HPM put on the LR quarter of 5s249 so I am assuming it was just left to the lowest rung of the shop ladder employees to haphazardly put it where they wanted. But I'd love to see pics of any other known legit dealer installed rear antennas. Just curious as to where others were put and if there is any logic or if they are truly unique like snowflakes. LOL

Thanks,

Colin

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 12:09:36 PM »
...reference for those that have not seen the template provided in the antenna kit ...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 12:23:32 PM »
On a 65 did they use the fender mount antenna and an extension cord to reach the radio, or did they have a different antenna with a long lead?

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 01:23:20 PM »
On a 65 did they use the fender mount antenna and an extension cord to reach the radio, or did they have a different antenna with a long lead?

The rear mount ones I've seen were a regular antenna with an extension.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

csx289

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 11:39:18 PM »
That's my opinion too- they used the standard Ford antenna just mounted it in the rear. So, anybody have a '65/'66 with a rear antenna they care to share a photo of? Thanks!

EdwardGT350

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 01:23:16 AM »
66 march/april build
1966 GT350 6s1761

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 06:40:59 AM »
109 came from HPM and I purchased it from the original owners family and it has an antenna on the right rear quarter.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 09:42:27 AM »
5S071 has its antenna on the right rear also.  Original dealer was Lynch-Davidson Ford in Jacksonville, FL but I have no proof that it was installed there.  (FWIW, who bothers to listen to the radio in a '65 GT350?  For that matter, who can hear a radio in a '65 GT350?)
5S071, 6S1467

tomhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 10:02:29 AM »
No 45 had the rear quarter antenna with a long cable to the radio. Like a dummy I plugged the hole and threw the cable away. I installed a radio and heater delete. Who listens to the radio or drives a 65 Shelby in the winter in Oh. Posted an old pic Steve Yates gave me when I purchased the car. Hope this helps.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

csx289

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 09:34:32 AM »
Thanks for the pics guys! So, seems to be confirmed that there is absolutely no rhyme or reason with these things. But also seems to be the case that HPM put them on the left or rear quarter panel and not the front fender. Based on Greg with 5s109 and my two HPM 65s with rear antennas installed by HPM. If anybody else has a photo please share! (side note who knew so many 2-digit cars had radios? Crazy!)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 09:39:19 AM »
Thanks for the pics guys! So, seems to be confirmed that there is absolutely no rhyme or reason with these things. But also seems to be the case that HPM put them on the left or rear quarter panel and not the front fender. Based on Greg with 5s109 and my two HPM 65s with rear antennas installed by HPM. If anybody else has a photo please share! (side note who knew so many 2-digit cars had radios? Crazy!)
Just to clarify,HPM did other radio installations most of which placed the antenna on the right front fender. Evidence supports some were done in the rear . The rear install was the exception and not the rule.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby