Author Topic: Rear quarter radio antennas on 65s  (Read 4793 times)

csx289

• View Profile
Re: Rear quarter radio antennas on 65s
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 10:38:22 AM »
Hi Bob that's good info. Perhaps HPM later went to the front fender? Just based on the fact that these three early cars 109, 156, 249 are all rear antennas installed by HPM and one can safely assume there were more.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 12:42:20 PM »
Hi Bob that's good info. Perhaps HPM later went to the front fender? Just based on the fact that these three early cars 109, 156, 249 are all rear antennas installed by HPM and one can safely assume there were more.
I would be surprised if there was not a front antenna install prior to the other car mentioned.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

csx289

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2021, 01:31:20 PM »
I guess we could chase it any variety of directions like a dog after his tail...;)

But obviously we know at least 3 65s that got a rear antenna at HPM just as a result of this post. To claim majority or minority 55 years on I guess we'd need hard proof of how many 65s got a radio installed at HPM and some way to tell where it was put. But first we'd need to go through (or ask Howard) how many 65s HPM delivered which is tricky because of Shelby's maneuvering around the dealer franchise issue and selling a lot of "demonstrator" cars at HPM. Not as cut and dry as looking up a place like Tousley Ford and seeing how many new 65s were delivered there etc.

But to stay on task it was just a curiosity to me and I wanted to see where other 65s with rear antennas had them mounted. Picking the flyshit out of the pepper as Kopec often accuses me of.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2021, 03:41:54 PM »
I guess we could chase it any variety of directions like a dog after his tail...;)

But obviously we know at least 3 65s that got a rear antenna at HPM just as a result of this post. To claim majority or minority 55 years on I guess we'd need hard proof of how many 65s got a radio installed at HPM and some way to tell where it was put. But first we'd need to go through (or ask Howard) how many 65s HPM delivered which is tricky because of Shelby's maneuvering around the dealer franchise issue and selling a lot of "demonstrator" cars at HPM. Not as cut and dry as looking up a place like Tousley Ford and seeing how many new 65s were delivered there etc.

But to stay on task it was just a curiosity to me and I wanted to see where other 65s with rear antennas had them mounted. Picking the flyshit out of the pepper as Kopec often accuses me of.
Colin ,we are are getting off track and more clarification is apparently needed at least as it relates to my statements. The issue was not how many cars HPM sold but how many cars that HPM or SA installed the radio had rear antenna. FYI the rear install would be more labor and more parts so no doubt it would show up as a higher cost compared to the front mount in Howards documents if you want to pursue that angle. To be clear I never said or implied that no rear mount antenna were installed only that there were not many done that way.  I did however want to make the distinction for those reading that the rear mount antenna was not near as frequently done as the front mount . That is the general consensus.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

csx289

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2021, 03:55:05 PM »
Hi Bob,

Again, I appreciate your input- and I think you've just restated things that I stated in my posts above. Also my original post was simply asking for photos of rear mounted antennas on 65 GT350s. Not how many were done, what was prevalent, etc. I was also just stating the interesting fact that has come from this thread that there are 3 HPM rear antennas confirmed on this thread which I think is neat.

So, wasn't here to debate what the cost difference was or how many were done or where they were done, just curious as I am looking at one of them in my garage wondering how many different locations on the rear quarter panels did dealers actually put them- and also for my own curiosity does one spot look better to the naked eye than others.

Just doing a little internet bench racing as this is how we all learn, especially with the wealth of knowledge and 65 owners here.

Take care,

Colin

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2021, 04:03:40 PM »
Hi Bob,

Again, I appreciate your input- and I think you've just restated things that I stated in my posts above. Also my original post was simply asking for photos of rear mounted antennas on 65 GT350s. Not how many were done, what was prevalent, etc. I was also just stating the interesting fact that has come from this thread that there are 3 HPM rear antennas confirmed on this thread which I think is neat.

So, wasn't here to debate what the cost difference was or how many were done or where they were done, just curious as I am looking at one of them in my garage wondering how many different locations on the rear quarter panels did dealers actually put them- and also for my own curiosity does one spot look better to the naked eye than others.

Just doing a little internet bench racing as this is how we all learn, especially with the wealth of knowledge and 65 owners here.

Take care,

Colin
Best of luck wit your search.

hertz350

• 509-953-8400
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2021, 04:31:06 PM »
My guess then is that the "rule" would be that all most if not all Hertz cars were to have the radio antenna at the right front fender? Were the antennas for Hertz cars installed at SAI or at the dealer where delivered to before Hertz took possession?
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

wcampbell

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2021, 04:33:30 PM »
Colin,

Another factor to consider is the proximity to the rear mounted battery for early cars. Any mechanic not wanting to fool around with working in the area of the battery and mounting hardware at the RH quarter might have decided to go with the standard ford mounting location. I can say that 541 had antenna in stock location while 262 never got the radio antenna installed that was sent in the trunk from what I could tell.

Wayne
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 04:40:28 PM by wcampbell »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2021, 05:27:53 PM »
My guess then is that the "rule" would be that all most if not all Hertz cars were to have the radio antenna at the right front fender? Were the antennas for Hertz cars installed at SAI or at the dealer where delivered to before Hertz took possession?
Yes, many were jobed out to High Performance Motors .

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2021, 09:06:12 PM »
Photo of 6S266 5S266 with rear antenna from 65 GT350 website...

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 12:43:41 AM by s2ms »
Dave - 6S1757

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2021, 09:34:34 PM »
Photo of 6S266 with rear antenna from 65 GT350 website...

Are you sure that photo is of 6S266? All details in the photo are that of a 1965 GT350 and not a 1966 model.

Cheers,
~Earl J

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2021, 12:44:56 AM »
Are you sure that photo is of 6S266? All details in the photo are that of a 1965 GT350 and not a 1966 model.

Cheers,
~Earl J

Typo, my bad! Thanks for catching it, corrected!
Dave - 6S1757

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2021, 03:46:13 PM »
Just saw this thread and don't want to go too far off topic but I do think it is important to note the importance of Hi Performance Motors and their actual relationship to the factory.

HPM was internally referred to as the "factory showroom". In fact, if you took a tour of SAI in period and asked to see some of the cars up close, an employee was likely to hand you a photo copy of a hand drawn map which outlined the route "around the corner" to visit the "factory showroom". It was referenced that way on the sheet which I have found a few examples of over my years of collecting old Shelby American related junk!

Continuing on that thought, the perception of most people seems to be that HPM was a separate entity from Shelby American but the more I learn about HPM, the less likely that seems. HPM was effectively "run" by Ray Wolff..supposedly owned by Carroll Shelby, Lew Spencer, and 3 other SAI employees. That said, HPMs financial statements were distributed to all the executives at Shelby American and seemed to be treated as a division of SAI. In addition, cars were run internationally on DLR 4101 plates from the dealership quite often along side other cars which ran MFG 013 plates.

Just a lot of things which point to the dealership as being the "factory showroom" in more ways than just in "name only". I personally don't see much difference between HPM and 'shelby racing co', "Carroll Shelby Enterprises" etc etc. To me, Im pretty sure they were all under the same umbrella of companies and not so much the separate entities that we now think of them as.

Anyway, what were we talking about?  ;D Sorry for the excessive "interference" in the conversation.   :o

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2021, 03:52:46 PM »
Just saw this thread and don't want to go too far off topic but I do think it is important to note the importance of Hi Performance Motors and their actual relationship to the factory.

HPM was internally referred to as the "factory showroom". In fact, if you took a tour of SAI in period and asked to see some of the cars up close, an employee was likely to hand you a photo copy of a hand drawn map which outlined the route "around the corner" to visit the "factory showroom". It was referenced that way on the sheet which I have found a few examples of over my years of collecting old Shelby American related junk!

Continuing on that thought, the perception of most people seems to be that HPM was a separate entity from Shelby American but the more I learn about HPM, the less likely that seems. HPM was effectively "run" by Ray Wolff..supposedly owned by Carroll Shelby, Lew Spencer, and 3 other SAI employees. That said, HPMs financial statements were distributed to all the executives at Shelby American and seemed to be treated as a division of SAI. In addition, cars were run internationally on DLR 4101 plates from the dealership quite often along side other cars which ran MFG 013 plates.

Just a lot of things which point to the dealership as being the "factory showroom" in more ways than just in "name only". I personally don't see much difference between HPM and 'shelby racing co', "Carroll Shelby Enterprises" etc etc. To me, Im pretty sure they were all under the same umbrella of companies and not so much the separate entities that we now think of them as.

Anyway, what were we talking about?  ;D Sorry for the excessive "interference" in the conversation.   :o

Kind regards,
Vern
Vern ,any insight as to how many cars HPM installed radios in on SA behalf for 65 and 66 production?