Author Topic: Wheels are back!!!!!!!!  (Read 2211 times)

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
Wheels are back!!!!!!!!
« on: April 05, 2018, 12:11:25 PM »
I gave my 5 original Magnum 500 wheels to Jim Cowles at SAAC 42 and just got them back a few weeks ago. They look so much better than I had hoped and I cant wait until I can get some of the those original style Goodyear Blue Streaks to put on them for "show purposes" only.
Has anyone gotten any recently from Universal Tires or any other supplier? Any suggestions on mounting them. I know they go on "backwards" because of the "safety style" reverse rim. I will be using a tire machine from an Audi Dealer as they have the real high end machine that doesn't touch the wheel when installing the tire. Has anyone used one of these with the old style wheels and tires?
Will have way too much money involved with these to mess it up

Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

gt350cs

• View Profile
Re: Wheels are back!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 12:53:43 PM »
Congrats!

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 01:26:29 PM »
Are they the painted Magnums? If so post up a picture please.

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 01:53:19 PM »
Are they the painted Magnums? If so post up a picture please.

where are the pix?
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 02:15:57 PM »
I would assume the originals were chrome not the painted.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 04:08:00 PM »
THEY ARE CHROME!!!!. I will post pictures later. right now they are stored away in the trailer and its 45 minutes away
They are not 100% perfect, but they weren't when i gave them to him, they were straight and unbent, just 200,000 miles of road rash, scuffs, rust and peeling paint. I will look for the pictures I took before I sent them up. Jim said he could get it done and that it would take some time, but he was the only one willing to take on the job. He expressed to me his satisfaction with the job. I would check with him every few months and he would report back. I knew going in it would take at least 6 months. Wife wont let me drive it to SAAC 43 so I'll probably miss that one, but hopefully if the next one is on the east coast I'll put them on and drive it to the convention. (VIR????)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 04:21:16 PM by Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas »
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 04:21:40 PM »
5th wheel heading your way
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member