News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Tire Discussion

Started by rmarble57, February 07, 2021, 05:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmarble57

Just looking for opinions............yes, I know I'm probably opening a can of worms.

As owner of an early '67 and not interested in full concours restoration, I am soon to be in need of new tires as the current ones still have plenty of tread, but will age out.

I do not wish to run reproduction bias type tires as I drive the car to local shows, runs and events and prefer to stay in my own land so will go with a radial.

I see the BF Goodrich Radial T/A's as one of the most prevalent tires which gives the raised white letter look, but as we know, the early 67's came with the large letter GOODYEAR tires and can't seem to find a Goodyear tire in radial that is somewhat similar.

I did see that Goodyear now offers the Gatorback VR tire in 225/60-15, but they are blackwall.  That gets the original manufacturer tire on the car, but without white letters.

Looking around, I could only find a General and a Uniroyal tire in this size and they are also non-white-lettered.

Looking for opinions, thoughts & recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

KR Convertible

Goodyear doesn't offer anything in the correct size range with white letters.  The only way to get Goodyear lettering is paint Goodyear blackwalls or get rubber letters online and you can put them on any brand.  There is also a member here that does it, but I can't remember who.

KR Convertible

pchmotoho

According to BFG website the same two sizes can vary by as much as 8 percent. I know they are not manufacturing pharmaceuticals but 8 percent seems like a lot.

Quote from: pchmotoho on February 07, 2021, 05:42:40 PM
According to BFG website the same two sizes can vary by as much as 8 percent. I know they are not manufacturing pharmaceuticals but 8 percent seems like a lot.

That's crazy. On a 255, that would be nearly 3/4 of an inch.

Jbrooks

I bought a set of BFG Radial T/As 215/60/15s on Thursday, and I love the way they look.
67 GT350 #2260
"If you ain't first, you're last"

oldcanuck

I also went with BFGs and staggered 215 front 235 rear. I like the way they fill the wheel wells.

They actually perform better in the twistys that I thought they would, so I am quite happy.

My only concern is the yellowing of the letters that everyone talks about....... I can see it starting.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

shelbydoug

Quote from: oldcanuck on February 10, 2021, 07:30:07 AM
I also went with BFGs and staggered 215 front 235 rear. I like the way they fill the wheel wells.

They actually perform better in the twistys that I thought they would, so I am quiet happy.

My only concern is the yellowing of the letters that everyone talks about....... I can see it starting.

All you need is one of those $49.99 pressure washers,  a water hose connection and an electrical plug outlet.

It isn't just the white letters, it's oxidation on the black sidewalls.

With the pressure washer you don't even need a detergent, just the water is enough to clean it up.

IN ADDITION, whatever you do, DO NOT put tire dressing OR ARMORAL on the tires. It will make the rubber check and turn the treads into banana skins.

FYI I'm running 235-60-15s front and 295-50-15s in the rear. I suppose it depends on how you envision the look?

The skinny tires look like you are walking in the water with your pants rolled up to me.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

Quote from: rmarble57 on February 07, 2021, 05:10:52 PM
Just looking for opinions............yes, I know I'm probably opening a can of worms.

As owner of an early '67 and not interested in full concours restoration, I am soon to be in need of new tires as the current ones still have plenty of tread, but will age out.

I do not wish to run reproduction bias type tires as I drive the car to local shows, runs and events and prefer to stay in my own land so will go with a radial.

I see the BF Goodrich Radial T/A's as one of the most prevalent tires which gives the raised white letter look, but as we know, the early 67's came with the large letter GOODYEAR tires and can't seem to find a Goodyear tire in radial that is somewhat similar.

I did see that Goodyear now offers the Gatorback VR tire in 225/60-15, but they are blackwall.  That gets the original manufacturer tire on the car, but without white letters.

Looking around, I could only find a General and a Uniroyal tire in this size and they are also non-white-lettered.

Looking for opinions, thoughts & recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

You want my opinion, do ask. This conversation will turn into tire size, how high your car sits, rolled wheel wells, and probably who makes the best apple pie. Many have asked and that is where all of it goes.
RARE  Signature Delete

67 GT350

Quote from: oldcanuck on February 10, 2021, 07:30:07 AM

They actually perform better in the twistys that I thought they would, so I am quiet happy.

Bob, That car looks great!
I really wanted GOODYEAR or some repro company to do some sort of RWL in a Goodyear, but I think we "have" to go with the BF Goodrich....not meaning it is a negative way, I like them also. I bought a set of small letter Goodyears for my Boss, and it is not fun to drive, unless your one who thinks, "If you under control, your not going fast enough."
RARE  Signature Delete

oldcanuck

Quote from: 67 GT350 on February 10, 2021, 10:15:08 AM
I really wanted GOODYEAR or some repro company to do some sort of RWL in a Goodyear, but I think we "have" to go with the BF Goodrich....not meaning it is a negative way, I like them also. I bought a set of small letter Goodyears for my Boss, and it is not fun to drive, unless your one who thinks, "If you under control, your not going fast enough."

Fran,

Thanks.... you made mention when it was sitting at the end of your driveway.  I can't imagine you not having fun driving your Boss.... it is just too nice an example to feel that way.

I can't imagine 235s and 295s ....... sure would like to see a picture of those bad boys !
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

roddster

Yeah well, another suggestion:  Get some blackwall BFG's, shave the lettering off (there is a plce that does this, so, somebody will post who and where) then buy and install a set of those Goodyear glue-on letters....and there you go.

shelbydoug

Quote from: oldcanuck on February 10, 2021, 10:44:01 AM
Quote from: 67 GT350 on February 10, 2021, 10:15:08 AM

Fran,

Thanks.... you made mention when it was sitting at the end of your driveway.  I can't imagine you not having fun driving your Boss.... it is just too nice an example to feel that way.

I can't imagine 235s and 295s ....... sure would like to see a picture of those bad boys !

Here you go.

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=11195.0
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Wedgeman

235/60-15 F..275/60-15 R T/A's on original 10 spokes 67 GT500