News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Tire Discussion

Started by rmarble57, February 07, 2021, 05:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: roddster on February 10, 2021, 12:27:12 PM
  Yeah well, another suggestion:  Get some blackwall BFG's, shave the lettering off (there is a plce that does this, so, somebody will post who and where) then buy and install a set of those Goodyear glue-on letters....and there you go.

Quote from: 2112 on February 07, 2021, 05:30:27 PM
http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=8568.msg71242#msg71242

427heaven

^^^^^^^ Man thats a tight fit, how does one exit the car? Out the trunk into the driveway? ;D

67 GT350

Quote from: oldcanuck on February 10, 2021, 10:44:01 AM
Quote from: 67 GT350 on February 10, 2021, 10:15:08 AM
Bob, That car looks great!
I really wanted GOODYEAR or some repro company to do some sort of RWL in a Goodyear, but I think we "have" to go with the BF Goodrich....not meaning it is a negative way, I like them also. I bought a set of small letter Goodyears for my Boss, and it is not fun to drive, unless your one who thinks, "If you under control, your not going fast enough."

Fran,

Thanks.... you made mention when it was sitting at the end of your driveway.  I can't imagine you not having fun driving your Boss.... it is just too nice an example to feel that way.

I can't imagine 235s and 295s ....... sure would like to see a picture of those bad boys !

Yes, I meant the Boss would be much nicer with a radial tire....
RARE  Signature Delete

67 GT350

RARE  Signature Delete

Quote from: 427heaven on February 10, 2021, 07:33:24 PM
^^^^^^^ Man thats a tight fit, how does one exit the car? Out the trunk into the driveway? ;D
.  Real problem is to back it out without knocking off a brake cooling scoop.....been there,done that...unfortunately :'(

shelbydoug

Quote from: 557 on February 13, 2021, 01:47:04 PM
Quote from: 427heaven on February 10, 2021, 07:33:24 PM
.  Real problem is to back it out without knocking off a brake cooling scoop.....been there,done that...unfortunately :'(

I can't tell you how many times that I have hit my knees on those brake scoops? They should have been made out of softer materials.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

oldcanuck

Quote from: 67 GT350 on February 13, 2021, 12:21:38 PM
Has anybody bought and used these? At least they say GOODYEAR:

https://www.lucasclassictires.com/215-65R15-Goodyear-Eagle-GT-P3BDF.htm

I'm going to assume they are now built by a 3rd party and not Goodyear....... I think I'd rather have a set of four BFGs for the price of one of those ....... just my .02
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

csxsfm

I bought a set of these in 1982 and was very pleased with them on my early '66, especially with their improvement in ride quality over the bias ply take-offs.  Fit was good on the Cragars. Look was good and they were Goodyear.

Royce Peterson

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

67 GT350

Quote from: Royce Peterson on February 14, 2021, 12:08:08 PM
Link: https://www.cokertire.com/tires/firestone-wide-oval-radial-rwl.html

I had a set on my old 67 GT K code fastback and they were wonderful. I only hesitate because they do not say "Goodyear" for my Shelby! Lets stop saying  "Its your car do with it what you want" I just have a hard time putting an "off brand" tire on the Shelby, and if I was to do so, I would put a BF Goodrich on it, they are a nice looking tire and the price is much better.
RARE  Signature Delete

oldcanuck

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 10, 2021, 08:25:35 AM

All you need is one of those $49.99 pressure washers,  a water hose connection and an electrical plug outlet.

It isn't just the white letters, it's oxidation on the black sidewalls.

With the pressure washer you don't even need a detergent, just the water is enough to clean it up.

I don't have one of those cheapo pressure washers ....... will a 1800 to 2000 psi washer hurt tires, or is there a detergent or cleaner that will remove the oxidation ?   I do not use any type of tire dressing other than good old hot soapy water when washing the car panel by panel.

Thanks for your help.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

shelbydoug

Quote from: oldcanuck on February 15, 2021, 08:06:36 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on February 10, 2021, 08:25:35 AM

All you need is one of those $49.99 pressure washers,  a water hose connection and an electrical plug outlet.

It isn't just the white letters, it's oxidation on the black sidewalls.

With the pressure washer you don't even need a detergent, just the water is enough to clean it up.

I don't have one of those cheapo pressure washers ....... will a 1800 to 2000 psi washer hurt tires, or is there a detergent or cleaner that will remove the oxidation ?   I do not use any type of tire dressing other than good old hot soapy water when washing the car panel by panel.

Thanks for your help.

Regardless of what detergents you find effective, in reality you still need to run water on it "with purpose", i.e., a pressure washer.

Look. I DO NOT tell people what to do or think. If you ask for an opinion and if I think that I can help, I often do.

Simply put, my experiences or solutions often disagree with others. It isn't intended to be a contrary.

One piece of wisdom imparted to me was, "if you don't want to know, don't ask".

"May your illusions (dillusions) be as pleasant as mine".
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

oldcanuck

I spoke with my local tire dealer who has been around a while. Told him about the yellowing of the raised white lettering on my newer BFGs.  He responded.....'Yup, the new tires are doing that now, and I can tell you how to clean 'em up.'

I went to the Dollar Store and bought a can of old style COMET Cleaner with bleach. Using a scrubber and some warm water.... a little extra elbow grease..... and there you have it. Rinsed them off, as good as new. Thanks Craig.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

shelbydoug

There is a product called, "Bleach White". You spray it on, hose it off. No scrubbing.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

KR Convertible

There WAS a product called Westleys Bleche Wite.  That stuff was great!!  Black Magic bought them out a couple of years ago and WRECKED IT!  It doesn't work nearly as good.  If you want the original, you have to pay up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Westleys-Bleche-Wite-Tire-Cleaner-Spray-HTF/324251726917?hash=item4b7ee8b445:g:SUkAAOSwugJeb8JD