News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

The 331 thread

Started by gt350shelb, February 05, 2021, 06:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

427hunter

Have you ever asked yourself how it's possible that everyone who disagrees with you either "has bad character" or is a "racist"?
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

shelbydoug

Me specifically? No, because they aren't necessarily. Nor are they stupid.

I have big feet. If I step on your toes, it doesn't mean it was intentional. Does it hurt? Yes.

I blame it on genetics. It's Mom and Dad's fault. As a result it is difficult to overcome at times, but that doesn't mean I give up trying.

As one of my professors once said to me, "everyone has their faults but you seem to relish it"...or something to that  effect.

Go figure?  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427hunter

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 08, 2021, 01:31:44 PM
Me specifically? No, because they aren't necessarily. Nor are they stupid.

I have big feet. If I step on your toes, it doesn't mean it was intentional. Does it hurt? Yes.

I blame it on genetics. It's Mom and Dad's fault. As a result it is difficult to overcome at times, but that doesn't mean I give up trying.

As one of my professors once said to me, "everyone has their faults but you seem to relish it"...or something to that  effect.

Go figure?  ::)

I am talking about when you run out of argument, rather then assume that maybe there is another side to the issue, you believe your opinion is an absolute fact and therefor the other person is malevolent.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

shelbydoug

As I said, no.

I can agree to disagree and leave it at that. Done.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

Quote from: gt350hr on February 08, 2021, 12:17:24 PM
   The 331 in my Shelby was meant to be "temporary" but that has been 20 years now. 90% drag race miles @ 8,000 every pass.  It IS an Eagle forging and jerks around Carrillo rods (5.315 length) from '68 made for a turbo'd DOHC Indy Ford. FE sized wrist pins and all. The stock hipo 289 block has done a good job of containing all of the parts. I run the 289 T/A intake on it. For all of the details check out Feb 2011 issue of Mustangs and Fords magazine where I told it all.
     I have also built an run several with Boss 302 heads as well as 347s with both style heads. The stroked engines really come alive. For "most of you out there" the cast crank is plenty , but I do NOT recommend the "econo" I beam rods cap screw or not.
   Randy

Thanks Randy       rest of you back on track :)
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

pmustang

From a driving standpoint, I go through a lot of mustangs

I have had numerous 331 and 347 examples

For whatever reason the 331s have stuck in my mind as the best road car power plants and one was the best I had ever owned out of nearly 200 Mustangs.

shelbydoug

I'm using the Eagle crank and H-beam rods as well. What I am amazed about is when you look at how tight the caps fit, when assembled, the joining line literally disappears.

I personally would recommend them. They are almost too beautiful to cover up inside of the engine and really should be on display somewhere.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 09, 2021, 07:10:48 AM
I'm using the Eagle crank and H-beam rods as well. What I am amazed about is when you look at how tight the caps fit, when assembled, the joining line literally disappears.

I personally would recommend them. They are almost too beautiful to cover up inside of the engine and really should be on display somewhere.

Although given they do appear nicely executed, not the most beautiful ever, but particularly compared to the high production O.E. pieces, but due be sure to have a competent machine shop check them for straight, and for proper sizing of the both the small & big ends before putting into service as we rarely find them suitable for use as received!      ;)

And the same advise for the crankshafts, as I often warn potential purchasers that when buying this stuff, and considering the cost savings don't forget to add in the cost for resizing the rods' big ends, pin-fitting the bushings and the cranks may be 10/10 before their first use!      :o

Scott.

gt350hr

Scott has a VERY valid point. Few "home" engine "assemblers" ever check the rods out to ensure they are "correct'. The higher priced import rods have the rod bolts added here in the states and are also finish honed here. The reason is there are "counterfit" ARP rod bolts being made "offshore" and the machining accuracy is out of tolerance.
    H beam rods are WAY overkill for 90% the applications they are used in and the guys who don't check , or have them checked are "getting by" because of that. Import cranks are also "finished" here in the states for the same reason. In some cases they won't "clean" at standard and companies sell "new" cranks at .010 under at reduced prices. These are a heck of a bargain for an otherwise perfect part. Also BTW , grinding a crank undersize will not cause it to fail. The ONLY potential problem comes from FORGED cranks where is is "possible" to grind through the surface hardening. The whole ''standard" thing is much concern over nothing. Ponder this, the "standard" rod journal size on a 289-302 is 2.123 inches. A 900HP Nascar 358 uses a 1.880 rod journal size and turns 9,000+ rpm.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

Quote from: pbf777 on February 09, 2021, 11:20:53 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on February 09, 2021, 07:10:48 AM

Although given they do appear nicely executed, not the most beautiful ever, but particularly compared to the high production O.E. pieces, but due be sure to have a competent machine shop check them for straight, and for proper sizing of the both the small & big ends before putting into service as we rarely find them suitable for use as received!      ;)

And the same advise for the crankshafts, as I often warn potential purchasers that when buying this stuff, and considering the cost savings don't forget to add in the cost for resizing the rods' big ends, pin-fitting the bushings and the cranks may be 10/10 before their first use!      :o

Scott.

Too late Scott. My 347 is on the road and built ten years ago.

The Eagle parts in my case checked out ok. No issues.

I think that it is also important for me to point out that the worst set of rods I ever encountered was a brand new service set of Ford 427 'Lemons' rods.

There wasn't one of them that didn't need to be "rebuilt" as far as being out of round and in addition, no two balance pads were exactly the same.

The side clearances on them weren't even within spec's. So for me, the brand isn't the certification or the disqualification.

When assembling an engine I look for that. I even check Randy's pistons. ;) Even there small mistakes are made like lazering the wrong customers name on them? ::)

Yes I agree that all of the components should be confirmed that they are within spec's. No question on that.

Even so, no 8,000rpm 'Banzai' launches for me. I know better then that.  ;)

68 GT350 Lives Matter!