News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

getting p.o.ed

Started by papa scoops, February 25, 2020, 12:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hertz350

Thanks. I know you meant "on" the engine. I will paint that part blue.
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

gt350hr

These "period" photos are very telling. Yes steel "port hole" hooded Hertz w/ auto. Note that the headers "appear" to be white but they "were" black when installed. This is because "early" high temp paint "turned" white when exposed to high heat! That used to irritate me to no end "in the day".
Notice also the paper engine ID sticker is over the coil bracket. You can also see the single mark on the fan belt , "clocking of the positive battery clamp , Autolite shocks and several other things. Lots of variation in assembly should be noted.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

Another telling sign of how early a car that is the fact that it has tower clamps instead of the wire style radiator hose clamps unlike the vast majority of 66 production.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

I don't think it's a porthole hood. When you blow it up the left side though hard to see looks like it's straighter and on the right the radius isn't constant as it would be on a round hole.
But back to the subject at hand. Cork gasket glued to the valve cover and wheel bearing grease on the surface between the gasket and head. They last a long time even when taking them on and off to adjust the valves. The trick is to make sure there is grease between the gasket and head so they seal but don't stick.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

If you look below the square box on the right there is a straight line downward. That is a recess stamped into the hood to allow the scoop to set below the surface and be "leaded in". The hole in the hood should be round .
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.