News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Oil sender area leak

Started by 67 GT350, February 18, 2021, 05:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 GT350

I think my oil sender, at the plastic tube, might be leaking. Is there a fix? Or is there a kit to make it greater again? I also am not sure if it is that or the power steering, but I believe it to be the oil pressure sender area.
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on February 18, 2021, 05:33:06 PM
I think my oil sender, at the plastic tube, might be leaking. Is there a fix? Or is there a kit to make it greater again? I also am not sure if it is that or the power steering, but I believe it to be the oil pressure sender area.
Yes the fix is to replace the tube. You can source the tube from any number of oil pressure gauge installation kits . I think NAPA sells them . The tubes are typically the same but compare one to the other to confirm.  You will use the tube and the two small sealing ferrules out of the kit  . Use the tube and the two ferrals with the original fittings on the Shelby. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

Explain to me how to "fix" the ferrel.  The ends squeeze in.  You'll likely need new ferrels.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on February 19, 2021, 02:42:12 PM
  Explain to me how to "fix" the ferrel.  The ends squeeze in.  You'll likely need new ferrels.
Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 18, 2021, 07:02:59 PM
Quote from: 67 GT350 on February 18, 2021, 05:33:06 PM
Yes the fix is to replace the tube. You can source the tube from any number of oil pressure gauge installation kits . I think NAPA sells them . The tubes are typically the same but compare one to the other to confirm.  You will use the tube and the two small sealing ferrules out of the kit  . Use the tube and the two ferrals with the original fittings on the Shelby.
Review my highlighted statement . In other words you use the ferrell's out of the installation kit.  Explanation enough?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

I'm pretty sure that originally the power steering fluid had green dye in it. The reason being that under black light you can see it and thus identify it as power steering fluid rather then oil.

Maybe the die was a different color? I don't remember now but I just reminded myself to install the dye.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

oldcanuck

Fran,

I think I have the same drip at the end of the extension.  I was going to trim about .75 to 1 inch off the pressure tube, then replace with a new ferrule this spring when I perform my yearly oil service. I think with the oil filter off, there is a lot more room to maneuver.

BG
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

67 GT350

Quote from: oldcanuck on February 19, 2021, 04:50:04 PM
Fran,

I think I have the same drip at the end of the extension.  I was going to trim about .75 to 1 inch off the pressure tube, then replace with a new ferrule this spring when I perform my yearly oil service. I think with the oil filter off, there is a lot more room to maneuver.

BG

Yes, that is the case with the oil filter. I may still have break-in oil? It must be a good leak, due to it is actually on the oil filter itself. I was at first thinking that the filter was loose, then maybe the PS lines? I think to better id it, I will just start it up and watch it, maybe I will see the leak? I remember my T-Bird had like a copper line going to a mechanical aftermarket oil gauge. I like that better. (The T-Bird was factory just a light)
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on February 19, 2021, 05:11:47 PM
Fran,

BG

Yes, that is the case with the oil filter. I may still have break-in oil? It must be a good leak, due to it is actually on the oil filter itself. I was at first thinking that the filter was loose, then maybe the PS lines? I think to better id it, I will just start it up and watch it, maybe I will see the leak? I remember my T-Bird had like a copper line going to a mechanical aftermarket oil gauge. I like that better. (The T-Bird was factory just a light)
For identification purposes Type F PS fluid is typically red by contrast engine oil is amber or darker if dirty.

Bob Gaines

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 19, 2021, 05:15:39 PM
Quote from: 67 GT350 on February 19, 2021, 05:11:47 PM
Fran,

BG

For identification purposes Type F PS fluid is typically red by contrast engine oil is amber or darker if dirty.

That's true but it is transmission fluid and a different color dye will eliminate the possibility that the leak is the transmission.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

Yeah Bob, I missed that.  But, we can expand the answer a little.  It would be a surprise to find the correct ferrules at a local parts store.  They might have been included in the Stewart Warner oil pressure gauge kit.  The entire line adapters are steel and not brass, and it seems that the SW ferrells are ateel too and curved at the surface that seals into it's base.  You might have to find a SW installation kit to get the ferrells.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on February 20, 2021, 12:33:33 PM
  Yeah Bob, I missed that.  But, we can expand the answer a little.  It would be a surprise to find the correct ferrules at a local parts store.  They might have been included in the Stewart Warner oil pressure gauge kit.  The entire line adapters are steel and not brass, and it seems that the SW ferrells are ateel too and curved at the surface that seals into it's base.  You might have to find a SW installation kit to get the ferrells.
Apparently you are not aware that the ferrules out of the generic installation kit like Summit sells will work fine with the SW fittings used on the 67 Shelby. I have used them and recommended them many times before with no issues.

67 GT350

UPDATE:
DUH to me!
RED fluid. = PS fluid.
I tightened the hose that leads to the PS cooler, still had signs of fluid, then tightened the pressure lines, and I think that got it!
However, that crazy plastic oil pressure line, looks like it is rubbing against the clamp for the PS cooler....don't know whoever fed it that way....
RARE  Signature Delete

oldcanuck

Fran,

Well at least you got the drip covered....... congrats.

BG
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN