Author Topic: Formal Cobra Birthday?  (Read 2111 times)

Cobrask8

• View Profile
Formal Cobra Birthday?
« on: March 17, 2021, 12:33:52 PM »
Is there a day which is considered the official Birthday or Introduction day for the Cobra? As a comparison, the Mustang has April 17 as it's birthday.

Obviously the year is 1962.

A-Snake

• View Profile
Re: Formal Cobra Birthday?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 01:03:22 PM »
Is there a day which is considered the official Birthday or Introduction day for the Cobra? As a comparison, the Mustang has April 17 as it's birthday.

Obviously the year is 1962.
It was first shown to the public at the 1962 NY auto show that ran April 13 to 21. The first article was in the 5/62 Sports Car Graphic.

JWH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 01:42:01 PM »
How cool would that be to have a Go-Pro video of the very first firing of the 260 in the Cobra and then a ride-along with Ol' Shel first time out of the garage?!

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 05:37:19 PM »

[/quote]
It was first shown to the public at the 1962 NY auto show that ran April 13 to 21. The first article was in the 5/62 Sports Car Graphic.
[/quote]

Nothing previous in California?

kranky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 05:49:16 PM »
As A-Snake had mentioned....one of the first official viewings to the public was the New York Auto Show in April 1962.  The first prototype arrived via TWA (air) around February 22, 1962 (sans engine) and one of the earlier public showings was at the March 1962 Riverside Cal Club Road Races, where the Cobra was used as the official "Course Marshall"....so when was the official release date?

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 11:24:24 AM »
Irrespective of the actual, formal birthday date, I go out to the garage regularly and enjoy ice cream and cake with my Cobra. It's the least I can do.  :D

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 04:52:53 PM »
Irrespective of the actual, formal birthday date, I go out to the garage regularly and enjoy ice cream and cake with my Cobra. It's the least I can do.  :D

Do you put the cake by the exhaust to blow out the candle? 8)