Author Topic: Seat Belt Anchor Plate Sealant  (Read 1336 times)

plowhorse

• View Profile
Seat Belt Anchor Plate Sealant
« on: February 28, 2021, 09:42:09 PM »
Did the seat belt anchor plates under the car have any type of sealant applied to them? Thanks

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Seat Belt Anchor Plate Sealant
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 10:51:45 PM »
Did the seat belt anchor plates under the car have any type of sealant applied to them? Thanks

When was your car built at Ford approximately?

Unlike 67 and up San Jose did not apply a visible sealant around any of the interior seat belt anchors on top of the red oxide like done on later cars built there. There is a possibility that a spray on sealant was applied to the anchors before the red oxide - the reason I asked when the car was built.

The thread and in turn the article attached my help answer some other questions you may have

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=380.msg1914#msg1914

Unrestored examples - have many more. This group spans from 6R101xxx-6R231xxx. Includes Mustangs and Shelbys since they were both handed the same way as far as this detail goes

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 10:53:35 PM »
For got that I assume that the reason your asking is because your car was not original or unrestored when you purchased it and for that reason you can't look at your car to see how it was originally built

As mentioned if your report back maybe we can get a better idea on what might have been done to your specific car.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

plowhorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 11:37:55 PM »
Car was built mid- Jan 1966.
Don't recall any sealant on the plates when I took the car apart. It is an over ride car so the outer plates had been moved inward a bit. Just asking because I've always read the inner plates had been sealed.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 12:07:19 AM »
Car was built mid- Jan 1966.

Looking at other cars from San Jose around the same time period I would go with no spray on sealer over the front inner seat belt anchors. You can see a little of the thin, runny sealant in the last picture in my last post.

As mentioned there are some periods with the spray on before the primer sealer. No sealer around the rears inner or outers

Don't recall any sealant on the plates when I took the car apart. It is an over ride car so the outer plates had been moved inward a bit. Just asking because I've always read the inner plates had been sealed.

Well now you seen examples. There has been allot written through all these decades we've been looking at these cars.

Hope this helps you to build a better or at least more original looking car

plowhorse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 08:36:37 PM »
Thanks for the help. Question answered. I'd be lost without this Forum!