Author Topic: Battery post rubber piece  (Read 3708 times)

hertzz350

• View Profile
Battery post rubber piece
« on: February 22, 2021, 07:20:37 AM »
My car #6s689 has the rubber battery post protector attached with staples. I have noticed that some were attached with plastic pins. When was the change over? Did they start with the staples then switch to plastic pins, or the other way around?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:17:38 AM by hertzz350 »
current owner of 6s689
Previous owner of 6s1855 ,6s1297,6s731

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Battery post rubber piece
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 10:38:27 AM »
6S1134 has 3 staples holding the pad.  The pad does have holes for pins.  An early February 1966 build at San Jose(a guess).

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 01:01:19 PM »
Nov 1965 SJ build, staples over push pin holes

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

jk66gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 02:16:00 PM »
6S1575 has the plastic pins only.  2nd or 3rd week of March 66 Ford production from what I have been able to determine.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 03:47:40 PM »
At San Jose they started with staples then moved to the plastic "rivets" or plugs. Based on research the change over took place between 6R164xxx and 6R172xxx. Change over appears to be approx during Feb 1966. The use of the prepunched shields does not coincide exactly with the change over to the prepunched inner fender panels around the time of change over

This where using Mustang examples really increases the number of unrestored and unrepaired examples to better focus changes shared by them as well as Shelbys

Thread on the CMF related to the running change

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=14988.30

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 03:55:49 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 06:56:54 PM »
1431 had plastic  pins only
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Doug C

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 07:54:23 PM »
988 has the staples, however, majority of the rubber is gone.  Just the staples are there with little pieces of rubber.  Any idea if this piece is being reproduced?  Thanks

jk66gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 08:59:33 PM »
I noticed a repo version last time I was on the Virginia Classic Mustang site.  https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/66-BATTERY-POST-TO-FENDER-RUBBER-SHIELD-P1181.aspx  I assume other Mustang parts vendors may carry these as well. 

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 09:16:58 PM »
I noticed a repo version last time I was on the Virginia Classic Mustang site.  https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/66-BATTERY-POST-TO-FENDER-RUBBER-SHIELD-P1181.aspx  I assume other Mustang parts vendors may carry these as well.

He may be looking for the early version without the holes. Looks like an easy piece to make if that is the one needed for the specific application
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Britton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 11:23:21 PM »
At San Jose they started with staples then moved to the plastic "rivets" or plugs. Based on research the change over took place between 6R164xxx and 6R172xxx. Change over appears to be approx during Feb 1966. The use of the prepunched shields does not coincide exactly with the change over to the prepunched inner fender panels around the time of change over

This where using Mustang examples really increases the number of unrestored and unrepaired examples to better focus changes shared by them as well as Shelbys

Hope this helps

If it’s helpful, the 66 San Jose fastback I owned had the riveted rubber pad. VIN was 6R09K168XXX which falls right in the transition period.
1967 GT350 #2645

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 11:28:33 PM »

Hope this helps

If it’s helpful, the 66 San Jose fastback I owned had the riveted rubber pad. VIN was 6R09K168XXX which falls right in the transition period.
Most likely meant stapled and not riveted right?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Britton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 01:16:44 AM »

Hope this helps

It had the plastic rivets not staples.
1967 GT350 #2645

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 05:00:13 AM »

Thanks - very helpful since it is one that I didn't have and its the Ford VIN. Have two examples with higher sequential number than yours with staples  Had a fair number of the ones already posted in the study.

Just wish we had real build dates for the 65-66. Sure would make these surveys more exact like we can do for 67- up cars
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:02:26 AM by J_Speegle »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 11:30:24 AM »

Hope this helps

It had the plastic rivets not staples.
Sorry ,I am used to hearing them referred to as plastic pins . When you said riveted that didn't correlate. Just different terminology .The added word "plastic" confirmed in my mind what you were talking about.  No worries.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 11:54:27 AM »
 477 does not have a pad or holes there. Yes , original apron.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.