News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

M & H muscle car drag tires

Started by gt350bp, February 24, 2021, 08:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350bp

Anyone have any experience with M & H muscle car DOT drag tires? I'm looking at trying a set of J60 x 15's that are similar in size to the 255 60 x 15 Comp TA street tires that I run on my KR. Is there a better option than the M & H tires?

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp   

propayne

Sorry, no experience with the actual tires, but hey had some cool logos back-in-the-day.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Special Ed

We ran a set of M & H tires on my 68 gt500 KR back in 85 or so at the muscle car shootout down in bowling green KY. They really hooked up good off the line as we made it to the final round beating a Hemi road runner but red lighted.  Look in old muscle car review magazine as they did a good story and my car was on the front cover painted blue with white lemans stripes at the time. I sold that KR to my cousin who restored it and it was a loaded car automatic with A/C so it wasnt an ideal race car having the extra weight from the factory A/C up front it was nose heavy and all the a/c was on the car when we raced it. When we ran the marti report on this KR back a few years ago we found out it was the ONLY 68 shelby built with factory headrest seats and it was on the build sheet and kevin marti did a story on that in an old mustang monthly article.

Rukiddin

gt350hr

Don ,
      I ran them in the past and they are very soft rubber . This obviously gives better forward traction on the street especially with  16-18PSI, The tread pattern keeps them legal and they should last about 5,000 miles if the "burnouts are kept to a minimum. On the Mustang I ran them on ( 450HP 289) the strip times were the same as slicks. I have also found similar results with "modern" drag radials. The ETs are only a tenth slower than a conventional slick on my Shelby with the current 525 HP engine. Street traction" is greatly improved over a "normal" harder rubber radial.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Peter L.

I run the Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials. The 255/60-15 fit nicely on a 7" rim. Tires work really well, and hook up without having to do a really aggressive burnout.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

Peter L.

KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

gt350bp

Thanks guys for the info. I like the tread and sidewall look of the M & H tires so I think I will give them a try. Any thing to be aware when mounting or valve stems? Should they use the bolted style stems.

Not to change the subject, but I just heard that a 2020 GT 500 was able to brake into the 8's at Bradenton. How about a 8.97 @ 154 mph!

gt350hr

Metal stems are an NHRA requirement. At minimum of 16 PSI you won't need to add screws into the beads. "I" usually put a small paint mark where the valve stem is on the side wall to be sure the tire doesn't slip on the rim. 
    That is fast for a heavy late model. I hope to get my '66 into the 9s later this year. Time will tell , if the "all motor" combination is up to it. That would be an accomplishment for a no tub , no sub frame connector, small tire , combination. Well in "my " opinion anyway.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

gt350bp

Thanks Randy on the tip with the paint mark and bolted valve stems.

I believe you will make the 9's on all motor this years and keep us posted on your progress.

Been trying to locate a suitable 68 fastback to drag racing again, as I sold a SS/HA 69 CJ when I moved to Florida from Pennsylvania. Would prefer a manual this time, as I missed a very nice roller back in July.

Too many of the cars have been back halved poorly. I think the left leg and right arm will be OK for a few more years, so I'm anxious to get into something soon. Would be nice to find a former C/S or SS/F old school roller or complete car

Sixx7shelby

I run them on the street on my Eliminator, very sticky. Have them on 15x7s and nothing special about mounting.
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO

gt350bp

What size are you running? Looks like 275 60 x 15's. I was looking at J60 x 15's but I like the look on your car. No wheel lip or leaf spring interference?

Scuffed and painted a set of 15 x 7 black steel wheels today for mounting and found the old Lakewood traction bars with J-bolts up in the attic.

Don
gt350bp

Sixx7shelby

Quote from: gt350bp on February 26, 2021, 01:28:49 PM
What size are you running? Looks like 275 60 x 15's. I was looking at J60 x 15's but I like the look on your car. No wheel lip or leaf spring interference?

Scuffed and painted a set of 15 x 7 black steel wheels today for mounting and found the old Lakewood traction bars with J-bolts up in the attic.

Don
gt350bp

These are the J60s on 15x7. No interference but they are on a Cougar. If you really are concerned on fitting these in a mustang wheel well I could put on my Shelby to see.
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO

gt350bp

Are you running longer spring shackles or air shocks? Your Cougar sit high in the back and I like that look. No concern with the J60 x 15's as they are the same diameter as my 255 60 x 16 Comp TA's. The 275 60 x 15's are 1" taller diameter and that might be a concern.

Sixx7shelby

Unfortunately my replacement leaf springs have a lot of arch. I bought them probably over 25 years ago to replace my broken leaf. I actually have lowering blocks in it right now to get a good stance. My brother and I have been talking about rebuilding the stock springs to get the correct arch and look back. Good eye though!
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO