News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Yellow Top Coil ?

Started by oldcanuck, February 25, 2021, 09:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcanuck

Getting ready to pull my Pertronix coil and put the yellow top back on that came with the car. Hoping to rectify my tach reading.  I don't think this yellow top is original by the markings, but the dumb question of the day remains...... BATT is +   and  DIST is -  correct ?

Thanks in advance.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

shelbydoug

Quote from: oldcanuck on February 25, 2021, 09:08:32 AM
Getting ready to pull my Pertronix coil and put the yellow top back on that came with the car. Hoping to rectify my tach reading.  I don't think this yellow top is original by the markings, but the dumb question of the day remains...... BATT is +   and  DIST is -  correct ?

Thanks in advance.

The coil says DIST on it. I think BAT too? I can go look if you want?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

oldcanuck

Yes.... I'm trying to remember, but I think BAT is positive and DIST is negative on a 12v negative ground system.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

shelbydoug

Quote from: oldcanuck on February 25, 2021, 09:33:35 AM
Yes.... I'm trying to remember, but I think BAT is positive and DIST is negative on a 12v negative ground system.

Yes, the distributor is the negative terminal. The positive terminal is from the ignition switch.

Remembering? What's that? I forgot?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

oldcanuck

Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

shelbydoug

Quote from: oldcanuck on February 25, 2021, 10:00:53 AM
Thank you Doug.....

Sure thing but it is important to remember that if you try this and it blows up, it was someone pretending to be me that gave you the info, ok?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

I ran a Pertronix 1 for five years ( sold the car with the stock motor and points) on a 347 with the yellow top coil and NO issues. Yellow tops ( originals anyway) are VERY high quality coils. Yes red wire to Bat and black wire to dist.
  Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Clone65

Original vs reproduction
Notice original has 1A between posts and repop does not but does show batt& dist

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Clone65 on February 25, 2021, 11:18:13 PM
Original vs reproduction
Notice original has 1A between posts and repop does not but does show batt& dist
The number and letter vary on the originals. That sequence of number and letter does not appear to be a date code related and probably has mfg internal production significance only.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

Also, from my observations, original yellow tops prior to about 1962 did not have the characters between the posts.
Dave - 6S1757

oldcanuck

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 25, 2021, 10:20:12 AM
Thank you Doug.....

Sure thing but it is important to remember that if you try this and it blows up, it was someone pretending to be me that gave you the info, ok?  ;)

It didn't blow up.... it ran just fine. It appears that it also corrected my Tach discrepancy according to the Currie RPM calculator based on tire OD, MPH and my 3.89 rear end.

Thanks again.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

shelbydoug

Quote from: oldcanuck on February 26, 2021, 10:42:44 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on February 25, 2021, 10:20:12 AM
Thank you Doug.....

It didn't blow up.... it ran just fine. It appears that it also corrected my Tach discrepancy according to the Currie RPM calculator based on tire OD, MPH and my 3.89 rear end.

Thanks again.

FEW!  :)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!