Author Topic: King of the Hill Drag Race / Factory Appearing , Slick Tire , any interest????  (Read 12398 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
  After all this maybe I should just set up a match race with J Bittle's 67 GT500.

:o

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
I watched Jay race an early GT 350 down the main drag in college in 1982 or so. He was running the 427 and huge air dam then. It was not a fair race lol.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

427heaven

• View Profile
 The ONLY true way to see who the king of the hill is to set up a schedule ,to see who is willing to make the tow to some different tracks across the country. That way all would know that they came from far and wide to see who is actually the fastest - quickest ORIGINAL looking drag SHELBY on the planet. Very COOL TITLE.  :)

427heaven

• View Profile
 Thinking about it ... A best out of 5 races might be a good start, that way there could be a North, South, East , West, and Central race set up, that way no one could say the are the fastest if they win lets say the west coast. You got to win the majority from all around, to say you are the best. ;)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Thinking about it ... A best out of 5 races might be a good start, that way there could be a North, South, East , West, and Central race set up, that way no one could say the are the fastest if they win lets say the west coast. You got to win the majority from all around, to say you are the best. ;)

Just go to the Trophy shop and have one made with your name on it. Who's going to know?

The ONLY benefit for creating and running a national series like this would be for publicity. Even so, you can't compete with "Gone in 60 seconds".

In my view, competing in any sport in order to be the champion is about achieving glory.

I'll go back and quote Patton, "ALL GLORY IS FLEETING!"

Others certainly may feel differently about it. Acknowledged.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
 My target was a venue like a convention or Mid America meet. One day , one chance , put up or shut up , was the idea. When was the last time Or have you ever seen a REAL Shelby with the front wheels in the air on the launch?
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
My target was a venue like a convention or Mid America meet. One day , one chance , put up or shut up , was the idea. When was the last time Or have you ever seen a REAL Shelby with the front wheels in the air on the launch?

I never have.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• View Profile
   Mine does every time now. It also does 0-100-0 in under 13 seconds. "Most" Shelbys can't get to 100 in 13 seconds. I think there is still a youtube video of a pass from years back when it only ran low 11s @120. Now 10.90s @123. It is licensed , insured and street legal with the drag radials.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
   Mine does every time now. It also does 0-100-0 in under 13 seconds. "Most" Shelbys can't get to 100 in 13 seconds. I think there is still a youtube video of a pass from years back when it only ran low 11s @120. Now 10.90s @123. It is licensed , insured and street legal with the drag radials.

Street legal and being able to drive it on the street are two different things.

Years ago, I think it was Super Ford that did a shoot out? In that shootout was Gordon Gimbles USRRC 289 Cobra.

I was looking for it the other day but it hasn't turned up yet so by memory, the best the Cobra was able to do was something like 12.2? I don't remember what the speed was.

I also remember looking at a Thunderbolt years ago that was licensed on the street. The car had modified front spindles on it from the factory that aided it's straight line stability but that all but eliminated it's ability to make any reasonable turns. I guess you had to go all around the Earth to go home or put it on a turntable, but it was "legal" for the street?

I was very disappointed with that. I didn't buy it.

I'm happy with being the fastest on my street. The cars are already in "the Hall of Fame". They don't need to go back and hit more home runs or pitch more no hitters.
As Satan said as he is cast into the pit, "better to rule in Hell, then to serve in Heaven".
I'm satisfied with that. Others? That's up to them.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 04:47:04 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• View Profile
   The only thing that keeps me from driving it more on the street is the 5.29 rear gear and $10 per gallon gas. The 331 is very happy cruising around. Never gets hot.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
   The only thing that keeps me from driving it more on the street is the 5.29 rear gear and $10 per gallon gas. The 331 is very happy cruising around. Never gets hot.

5,29s? Are you running an AOD or a C4? What are your trap rpm's? No wonder you pop wheelies.

My torque multiplication factor in first is only 11.44. Your's must be 12.4?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Lfino

• View Profile
More than a few of my friends back in the day, witnessed my 67 pulling the front up. Not far. 6 or 7 inches. But still off the ground. Not as hard as some may think. (I cheated a little bit. 427 toploader)

427heaven

• View Profile
  Wes Johnsons screaming green snot rocket pulled the wheels up on most runs, not bad from 40 years ago. ;)

gt350hr

• View Profile

5,29s? Are you running an AOD or a C4? What are your trap rpm's? No wonder you pop wheelies.

Original C4 , 8,200.  Doug , your experience in drag racing is limited yet your opinions seem limitless. I know you would never compete in a race like I suggest so why push your opinion against the concept?  I bought this Hertz car in '74 specifically TO drag race and have for 47 years. I know it is the longest continuously drag raced GT350 and now am aiming for the fastest ( non tube framed) one.
      Randy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

Original C4 , 8,200.  Doug , your experience in drag racing is limited yet your opinions seem limitless. I know you would never compete in a race like I suggest so why push your opinion against the concept?  I bought this Hertz car in '74 specifically TO drag race and have for 47 years. I know it is the longest continuously drag raced GT350 and now am aiming for the fastest ( non tube framed) one.
      Randy

It wasn't intended as expressing an opinion. It was just a question. Sorry for troubling you.
I was just trying to stir up anger, grief  and resentment to bring out serious competitors for a good grudge match.

I'll remember to leave that up to you from now on. ;)

In my 50 year career, I can't tell you how many times I've been told to shut up and I "don't know "f-in" anything!" That doesn't bother me now. I know who's full of it and who isn't.

I do remember a customer that I was installing windows for though. The reason I remember it was because here, she was a criminal defense lawyer of significant notoriety.

We were inside the house finishing the trimming. As she was going up the stairs she suddenly turned and screamed at me, "YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING!". Then she s hit on the floor and kept going.

Somehow that has always illustrated the significance of the criticism on me, but we each have different experiences. At least she didn't throw a 2x4, a wrench or fire me for using the wrong pencil lead hardness, but those are different stories.

Did I tell you the story of when I asked Diamond (Diamond Race Cars) for a receipt for the C6FE aluminum 427 heads I was leaving with him? He said, "see those BB Chevy aluminum heads I'm using for door stops over there? Your heads are just 23 cents a pound".

It's a wonder no one has shot me dead yet? There's always time. ;D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 04:01:12 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!