Author Topic: King of the Hill Drag Race / Factory Appearing , Slick Tire , any interest????  (Read 12386 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Still not saying anything about pro stock.

F.A.S.T is just an example. Not an exact format.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/stephen-tate-1970-plymouth-aar-cuda/

Here is a Small block ‘Cuda in the 11’s. A better example.

All Without aluminum heads and headers.

OK, and the point is ...?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Still not saying anything about pro stock.

F.A.S.T is just an example. Not an exact format.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/stephen-tate-1970-plymouth-aar-cuda/

Here is a Small block ‘Cuda in the 11’s. A better example.

All Without aluminum heads and headers.

OK, and the point is ...?

Nobody is suggesting you come with a pro stock engine.

Or, from how I read the original post, a huge budget engine.

427heaven

• View Profile
 Maybe we could have a show of hands who has a car that runs in the 11s and meets the criteria that was outlined in the beginning of this thread ?

shelbyluva

• View Profile
I like the idea of a much looser version of this and would participate. 

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
This is really lining up to be the "Grudge Match" of all grudge matches! I love it.

You just don't get it do you? THOSE FAST engines ARE PURE RACE ENGINES, cleverly disguised as stock APPEARING. "Hey Margret, those engines are stock right? I doe no Bobby, what's stock look like?"

"Juz like that "Eleanor over there".  ;)

Ah ha. That was easy see?

Those ARE race blocks. Aluminum heads coated to look and test as iron. 700 lift cams. Aluminum cast exhausts extrude honed to be thinner than steel tube headers, etc., etc., etc.

Someone is also making the "60's" soft compound tires that the manufacturers put onto the "test" cars that they gave to the press to test a 1/2 second faster stock then YOU could do, with apparently some high tech updates to make them crinkle too.

Good. Get good and pissed off. Get your "manhood challenged". Get your car ready and bring it to kick some ass, strictly in the biblical sense mind you. We're all ready! "COMMON, DO IT! KILL ME, DO IT"!

Show ME YOUR 11 second Shelby! GRRR! Shelbydoug is a dumb azz! He don't know freakin' NUTTIN'! I dare you! ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 07:38:34 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

• View Profile
  There is an alternative to the F.A.S.T. rules.
  Hemmings Muscle cars mag has reported that: you enter, you do time trials, then a ladder is set up.  You run best 2 out of 3 against the same car that runs near you time-trial time.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
You just don't get it do you? THOSE FAST engines ARE PURE RACE ENGINES, cleverly disguised as stock APPEARING.

Those ARE race blocks. Aluminum heads coated to look and test as iron. 700 lift cams. Aluminum cast exhausts extrude honed to be thinner than steel tube headers, etc., etc., etc.

Someone is also making the "60's" soft compound tires that the manufacturers put onto the "test" cars that they gave to the press to test a 1/2 second faster stock then YOU could do, with apparently some high tech updates to make them crinkle too.

Good. Get good and pissed off. Get your "manhood challenged". Get your car ready and bring it to kick some ass, strictly in the biblical sense mind you. We're all ready! "COMMON, DO IT! KILL ME, DO IT"!

Show ME YOUR 11 second Shelby! GRRR! Shelbydoug is a dumb azz! He don't know freakin' NUTTIN'! I dare you! ;)

:P

shelby1817

• View Profile
Count me in...

shelby1817

• View Profile
just let me know when and where ... should be a 1/2 mile drag race  get with a company called SPEED FEST   they do an amazing weekend

427heaven

• View Profile
There we go... Theres one! Tell us about your car you know where you run, ET"S, what engine etc. :)

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
Looks like a great time..... But a 572 inch HEMI Sattelite is a far cry from a 65 -70 SHELBY. You are comparing a 25-30 k car to a 150k car and all of them are big blocks that were intended for all out performance. Randys idea is a unique one that a group of SHELBYS racing is a DIFFERENT TYPE of experience, but ours were designed as road going cars not straight line missles. Can you make a 289-302 based engine compete with a big inch HEMI no you cant. Can you bring out 8-10 cars that meet the criteria that was laid out for us probably not. Can someone speed shift a t-10 trans like a top loader or rock crusher... Probably not. Would a senior citizen be willing or able to run his 150k- 350k SHELBY with original parts on it? Well probably not- Its a percentage game, after reading every ones input here over the years it appears its approximately a 90- 10 split. 10 percent like concourse cars, so these are eliminated from the equation. That leaves the rest of the cars. Of those, how many cars have some substantial horsepower under the hood from stock? Probably not many, then would they be willing to make the tow to this event and are they able to make a full throttle blast in their pride and joy. If the rules were loosened up to a Mustang with a 600 inch 385 series engine I am willing to bet more would show up. A 14-15 second pass in a SHELBY just doesnt seem exciting to the masses. Hope the kinks get worked out-

Well I don't know about all of the kinks, but this kink is out. ;)

Doug I will be blunt but not rude. You are not well versed in drag racing , SORRY.  Let me give you a build that WOULD run in the 10's. '66 , auto ,4.30 or 4.57 gear, Paxton blown 363 ci ( remember NO CI limit) roller cam , gutted closed letter valve covers to clear the roller rockers, Windsor (351) heads fully ported. If run on E85 , it "could" make well over 600HP. Just because YOU can't see it doesn't mean others can. I can't see you entering anyway.
    Yes this is loosely based on FAST rules but the tire limitation they have is not safe in my opinion. My car will not look any different than it has in the past . It's what you don't see that is changing. The current 331 has been in the 10's already , and the new engine is bigger. A 427ci Windsor or 470 ci FE is going to be powerful even on iron manifolds. The iron manifolds are an equalizer to level the power to that of the small blocks.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Looks like a great time..... But a 572 inch HEMI Sattelite is a far cry from a 65 -70 SHELBY. You are comparing a 25-30 k car to a 150k car and all of them are big blocks that were intended for all out performance. Randys idea is a unique one that a group of SHELBYS racing is a DIFFERENT TYPE of experience, but ours were designed as road going cars not straight line missles. Can you make a 289-302 based engine compete with a big inch HEMI no you cant. Can you bring out 8-10 cars that meet the criteria that was laid out for us probably not. Can someone speed shift a t-10 trans like a top loader or rock crusher... Probably not. Would a senior citizen be willing or able to run his 150k- 350k SHELBY with original parts on it? Well probably not- Its a percentage game, after reading every ones input here over the years it appears its approximately a 90- 10 split. 10 percent like concourse cars, so these are eliminated from the equation. That leaves the rest of the cars. Of those, how many cars have some substantial horsepower under the hood from stock? Probably not many, then would they be willing to make the tow to this event and are they able to make a full throttle blast in their pride and joy. If the rules were loosened up to a Mustang with a 600 inch 385 series engine I am willing to bet more would show up. A 14-15 second pass in a SHELBY just doesnt seem exciting to the masses. Hope the kinks get worked out-

Well I don't know about all of the kinks, but this kink is out. ;)

Doug I will be blunt but not rude. You are not well versed in drag racing , SORRY.  Let me give you a build that WOULD run in the 10's. '66 , auto ,4.30 or 4.57 gear, Paxton blown 363 ci ( remember NO CI limit) roller cam , gutted closed letter valve covers to clear the roller rockers, Windsor (351) heads fully ported. If run on E85 , it "could" make well over 600HP. Just because YOU can't see it doesn't mean others can. I can't see you entering anyway.
    Yes this is loosely based on FAST rules but the tire limitation they have is not safe in my opinion. My car will not look any different than it has in the past . It's what you don't see that is changing. The current 331 has been in the 10's already , and the new engine is bigger. A 427ci Windsor or 470 ci FE is going to be powerful even on iron manifolds. The iron manifolds are an equalizer to level the power to that of the small blocks.
     Randy

You da' man!  ;)

Are they all lining up for you to prove me wrong yet?  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• View Profile
   Doug ,
      Speak for yourself! My '66 runs 11.5s with an all iron 331 that is well within the guide lines of what I have laid out. A slightly warmed over  '68 KR with a 4.30 gear and a 10" slick would be in the 12s with EASE.
    This deal is not for the "easy chair" racer. Careful scrutiny of the guide lines could produce 600 hp engines. THAT will propel a car into the 11s easily. I've left some serious loop holes in on purpose.

So, you want to race, and you are already bringing the built ringer to the track. Tested, tuned, and ready for more, with perhaps some details left out of what you did with the drivetrain and chassis this winter......Now I see where you are going with this thread  ;)

Sounds like fun either way you go......I do suspect a deeper financial pocket will be required in order to win though, and to me, it's not about the money spent, but about the amount of fun had while at the track with like minded friends.

Bill

No Bill  I haven't touched the performance of my car in three years. It IS still the way it was in my Feb 2011 magazine article and IS illegal per my guidelines! Build a ringer to win my "own" money? Naw. Have the fastest stock appearing Shelby ? I won't rule that out because I "would" like to see the maximum potential of the car with "Ford manufactured" heads , intake and carburetion  made BEFORE the end of '70. I would have to build a complete to be "legal" . Nothing on the engine stand yet.
   If no one "steps up" , so be it. No one yet has offered a drag race challenge OR offered cash payouts like I will if I get interest.

gt350hr

• View Profile
I like the idea of a much looser version of this and would participate.

What "loosening" you would like. The 10.5x28 MAX tire is fixed as is no tubs OR aftermarket traction devices.

gt350hr

• View Profile
  After all this maybe I should just set up a match race with J Bittle's 67 GT500.