Author Topic: King of the Hill Drag Race / Factory Appearing , Slick Tire , any interest????  (Read 12389 times)

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
   Doug If I "really" had an issue with you ( which I don't) I would go to PMs. If a venue ''pops up", I might get back on this. Yes I was targeting this toward some of the "touring" original drag cars and some of the "innovative" guys out there. looks like they just want to keep waxing and dusting them. All good . to each his own.
  Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

TA Coupe

• View Profile
Come on guys, don't stop now I just sat down with my popcorn
   😃

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Doug C

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
How about in Sonoma?

427heaven

• View Profile
I'm doubtful but still hopeful... wait is that a double negative? There are so many things that are quite easy to see. First of all most drivers are now senior citizens, and frankly get scared to drop the clutch, mash the throttle and clean some carbon off the pistons. Secondly taking a drive out of city limits, let alone towing hundreds of miles to a race is tiring and most wont do it. Thirdly is the cost of these cars has gotten away from the average racer, collector, tinkerer so fear is always in the back of their minds not to hurt the car or themselves. Fourthly.. That's my third grade grammar coming out ;D Not too many cars can meet the rules set forth, or are willing to modify their cars to follow the rules. Fifthly :-[ These cars were designed to go around corners not just straight lines, so the question remains how many real cars out there meet the criteria set forth by our drag expert , are willing to make the tow, and can run a respectable number that can knock him off his perch? Lets see a show of hands-

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I'm doubtful but still hopeful... wait is that a double negative? There are so many things that are quite easy to see. First of all most drivers are now senior citizens, and frankly get scared to drop the clutch, mash the throttle and clean some carbon off the pistons. Secondly taking a drive out of city limits, let alone towing hundreds of miles to a race is tiring and most wont do it. Thirdly is the cost of these cars has gotten away from the average racer, collector, tinkerer so fear is always in the back of their minds not to hurt the car or themselves. Fourthly.. That's my third grade grammar coming out ;D Not too many cars can meet the rules set forth, or are willing to modify their cars to follow the rules. Fifthly :-[ These cars were designed to go around corners not just straight lines, so the question remains how many real cars out there meet the criteria set forth by our drag expert , are willing to make the tow, and can run a respectable number that can knock him off his perch? Lets see a show of hands-

Well all that and consider this, respectfully, the level of competition that Randy is suggesting is at a pro level. Even if that's a mid 80's pro level?

Take his car for example. The spec's that he has admitted to already here in print, show that his car is turning 7877rpm @ 123 going through the traps.

Now it may in fact be that I don't know enough about this level of drag racing, but I know something.

I was familiar with Flip's Speed Shop Pro Stock Camaro in '86 or so. That was a Camaro body, Diamond Chassis, Bob Ingles BB Chevy driven by Kenny Delco.

I think that they got to the 1/4 finals two or three times and the best ET was around 8.6 or so.

I know he was launching at 9,200rpm and was going through the traps at about 8,800rpm.

That's as "Pro-level" as you get, other then beating out Glidden or Warren Johnson for the #1 designation?

These are the results the FAST cars are suggesting.

To say that "hey, FAST cars do it and they are stock looking" and they run in the 9's? Common. Are there any GT500's built to that spec? That's a "Pro" level.

Even Wes Johnson's 68 GT500 with the 427 didn't run those kinds of times.

I know what my cheapo '67 428 just cost me to build. I can't replace it for under $20k.
I can't run 9,000 rpm with it and expect it to live.

Consider what needs to go into a "stock looking" Ford FE to do that and try and put a price tag on it. Randy is correct. I don't know but I suspect that it is significantly more then I have in mine AND that doesn't even take care of the rest of the car.

Jay Biddle MAY be the best representation of what a GT500 is capable of running now. Maybe? What was he talking? Low 12?
It isn't stock looking, and it has his "ultimate '67 GT500 headers on it". ;)

Challenge him to a match race. See if he'll bring it out.

You are correct about "seniors" not wanting to travel across the country, none the less tow across it. They don't even need to hide the keys from me now. I'm too busy watching Jeopardy.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• View Profile
   Looks like I may have a chance to "show the world" on July 30th in Sonoma Ca.

Wes Johnson's ( rip) '68 was NOT the fastest Shelby @ OCIR "in the day". He turned it about 6,500 rpm on average. There was no need to turn the FE higher because it made so much torque. My '66 ( in the day) was Boss 302 powered and I was running similar times. I had to turn mine 9,000+ to do it because I made a little less HP but t TON less TQ. I ran 5.43,5.67,5.83 and one weekend tried 6.00 rear gears. All of this points to the fact that simply taking your "street car" to the track could be embarrassing , BUT "track preparing " it would certainly make it faster. Driving through the 1/4 in third gear instead of 4th is a good example.
  Talking about engine cost. Sure a "race" engine is expensive. Is it more that a race wining road race engine? Probably not. "If" you felt that my challenge was for the average Shelby owner looking to test his car's performance , you missed the point. The challenge was for the BIG EGO guys to see just how fast they can make a stock appearing , rules limited Shelby go. I one looked at my example of a Paxton blown engine combination , a person could wrap up $10,000 in the engine alone. I might have that much or more in my engine . I honestly haven't  kept track. I am going ahead and assembling and installing my new engine in 6S477 and run it July 30th. It will fit the rules I laid out. The ET will be whatever it will be.
    Randy

gt350hr

• View Profile
   IF anyone is interested in my original challenge proposal , I could run it at  SAAC 46 with a 4 car field , me being one of them. Doug won't be making the cross country trip so anyone interested please PM me. EACH participant WILL be racing for $$$ . Details "IF" anyone steps up. Again PM to stay private.
   Randy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
   IF anyone is interested in my original challenge proposal , I could run it at  SAAC 46 with a 4 car field , me being one of them. Doug won't be making the cross country trip so anyone interested please PM me. EACH participant WILL be racing for $$$ . Details "IF" anyone steps up. Again PM to stay private.
   Randy

Well I eat at 4pm to get the senior discounts. I guess that you have TV's and show Jeopardy there too? I had better bring toilet paper though? I hear you keep running out.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• View Profile
   Doug ,
      IF you flew out here in July , I would arrange for you to ride with me ( possibly the  330ft or 660ft only due to NHRA restrictions) but you WOULD BE REQUIRED to have a depends on.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
   Doug ,
      IF you flew out here in July , I would arrange for you to ride with me ( possibly the  330ft or 660ft only due to NHRA restrictions) but you WOULD BE REQUIRED to have a depends on.

No problem, I already wear them.  ;)

I'm still looking for a 2 hour flight.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• View Profile
    Offer stands!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
They did away with those 735's with the cocktail lounges and live bands didn't they? 6-1/2 hours squashed between two 400 pound guys isn't going to work for me.   :(
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• View Profile
 Blah , blah , blah. You won't leave your recliner anyway ;D

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Blah , blah , blah. You won't leave your recliner anyway ;D

No but I am thinking of converting to an automatic transmission. All these gears to remember in a manual? It gets complicated!

You don't even need a trained monkey to pedal the automatic car. It's easy. There's a go pedal and a stop pedal! Absolute genius! Who thought of that?  ::)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 05:04:27 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TA Coupe

• View Profile
Thanks guys,  I just finished my 🍿

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.