Author Topic: King of the Hill Drag Race / Factory Appearing , Slick Tire , any interest????  (Read 12388 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Thanks guys,  I just finished my 🍿

Roy

I'll have to save mine for the flight in. After 6-1/2 hours I'm going to be so wasted from hanging at the hospitality bar on the plane. Then it gets in at midnight in SF to boot? Yikes.

I hope I don't wind up at the wrong hotel in the gay liberation section? I'll be very vulnerable at that point.

I'm going to have to come in a couple of days early to get my bearings

Few. The Market Street Festival is in September.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 07:10:16 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
Thanks guys,  I just finished my 🍿
      Roy

I dropped my popcorn when I fell off the chair laughing...  ;D :o ??? :-\
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

427heaven

• View Profile
 I'm surprised there is not another SHELBY on the planet, or car and driver that wouldn't give it a whirl. Randy King of the perch for now! ;)

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
   I haven't done it yet. It still has the "pedestrian" 10 second 331 in it .The heads aren't legal per my rules.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I found this period article of a drag test on a '69 Mach 1 428 CJ CAR REVIEW magazine. No 12 second car there. High 13's, and they had to work for that.

Needs headers!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 12:50:54 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• View Profile
  A slick and a stall convertor would have put it in the 12s, with ease. I am suggesting modified engines and would expect 11 second ETs as the slowest. No matter , no one has stepped up , so my money is safe.

427heaven

• View Profile
 The difference between a 9- 10 second car and a modified street car running 12-13 second runs is such a huge difference that one might think they are in a different race. The quicker of the two might be returning down the return road after the race, while the other car is still finishing his run. A safe bet here is the king of the hill, is going to get bored counting his money over and over. He might need to invest it in rare SHELBY parts to sweeten the pot for next years event. ;D

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
The difference between a 9- 10 second car and a modified street car running 12-13 second runs is such a huge difference that one might think they are in a different race. The quicker of the two might be returning down the return road after the race, while the other car is still finishing his run. A safe bet here is the king of the hill, is going to get bored counting his money over and over. He might need to invest it in rare SHELBY parts to sweeten the pot for next years event. ;D

It's pretty much the difference between a dedicated drag car and fast street car.

A race car that can be driven on the street is a world of difference from a fast street car.

Who was the NBA player driving around on the street disguised as Grandmama? Same difference.

My three are all legitimate 12 second cars and in no way or form could be described as drag cars. You're either a wide receiver or a defensive nose tackle. You can't be both except in some sort of bizar fantasy. So I don't exactly see the point.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 10:02:46 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• View Profile
Doug there are "TOTALLY" stock production cars that are faster than my "streetable" race car. Two examples are my friends mid ten second ZL1 Corvette. (he competed in Drag Week) and my other friends mid ten second HellCat. He DRIVES it 400+ miles to race at Northern California drag strips at least once a month and gets OVER 20 miles per gallon doing so.My new engine is not SO exotic ( or fragile) that it can't be "street driven" . Control of my EGO is the reason I don't. I'm way past burnouts leaving a car show.  PM on the 351C stuff to get the thread back on track.
   Randy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Doug there are "TOTALLY" stock production cars that are faster than my "streetable" race car. Two examples are my friends mid ten second ZL1 Corvette. (he competed in Drag Week) and my other friends mid ten second HellCat. He DRIVES it 400+ miles to race at Northern California drag strips at least once a month and gets OVER 20 miles per gallon doing so.My new engine is not SO exotic ( or fragile) that it can't be "street driven" . Control of my EGO is the reason I don't. I'm way past burnouts leaving a car show.  PM on the 351C stuff to get the thread back on track.
   Randy

Those aren't cars. Those are computers that the operator turns on, not starts. The Mopar guys are just anal ya-who's who want to do doughnuts in the intersection. They shouldn't even be classified as human. True, they were designated as human at birth but that's about it.

The Corvette you just put on autodrive as you text. Is there some sort of magic in that?

Heck Dave's kid Dalton is in the 8s with his Shelby. What's wrong with that picture? He's been late for Home Room at least twice already this week.

Exactly what track do want this thread on? It was derailed before it even got posted?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 10:52:07 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• View Profile
   I drove the Corvette and it was intimidating for a seasoned veteran like myself. You say stab and steer and a monkey could do it. Well "maybe " a monkey could but he'd better have a diaper on or the seat will be soiled. I almost did. The part throttle driving was like a "normal" Corvette and pleasant.
   In ALL honesty 500+HP vehicles ARE too much for the street. The potential speed is beyond "most" drivers AND other drivers aren't capable of dealing with the potential speed either. Knee jerk responses to a car of that potential often cause crashes by trying to avoid one! "Racing" should be done where it is safe , and that is the main reason I don't drive my '66 on the street any longer.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 02:00:12 PM by gt350hr »