Author Topic: R-Model Fuel Tank Splash Bucket Drain Hose  (Read 1765 times)

SHELBYGT350R

• View Profile
R-Model Fuel Tank Splash Bucket Drain Hose
« on: March 03, 2021, 12:09:56 PM »
Does anyone have any photos showing where the drain hose for the fuel filler splash bucket goes through the trunk floor?

Thanks in advance.

gbart14

• View Profile
Re: R-Model Fuel Tank Splash Bucket Drain Hose
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 03:37:10 PM »
Mine which was added soon after purchase for the Mexican rally went down directly behind the bucket at about 4 o'clock looking down on it from the rear. Photo attached. The hose exited straight down from there in a crudely made hole. If you look closely at the photo of the tank installed, you can see the hose. My hose was just visible from the back of the car. It hung down about 1/4" but still stained the paint from the drip and fumes. The seals around the tank were very bad. I resealed it a couple of times and still could not get it. A previous owner opened up the skirts below the battery and on the left side to create better ventilation. For me, the secret was not to fill it more than about 1/2 way.
SAAC Northwest President, current - 5S243 plus 65 Mustang coupe track car plus 2016 GT350, past 6S286

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 07:33:12 AM »
Seems like filling to half way defeats the purpose of a R-Model gas tank!

I'd venture to guess that the different series of R-Model produced will all have different drain locations. I chose to drill a larger hole and use a breather grommet that accepts 5/8" fuel line hose. Extend the hose about 1" to 1 1/2" below the valance and that fixes the staining. "Form follows function".

Don
gt350bp

gbart14

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 11:28:31 AM »
Mine was installed right after the car was purchased and the hole for the hose was straight down and through the floor. I filled it half way because it was what I could to to keep the seal from leaking. They are known to leak. As a restored car, I will probably never have a need to fill it to 34 gallons but before I re-install it, I do intend to figure out how to get a better seal where the bucket joins the tank.

BTW, does anyone know if the tanks were painted black or were they originally bare galvanized? Thanks
SAAC Northwest President, current - 5S243 plus 65 Mustang coupe track car plus 2016 GT350, past 6S286

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 11:51:27 AM »
Mine was installed right after the car was purchased and the hole for the hose was straight down and through the floor. I filled it half way because it was what I could to to keep the seal from leaking. They are known to leak. As a restored car, I will probably never have a need to fill it to 34 gallons but before I re-install it, I do intend to figure out how to get a better seal where the bucket joins the tank.

BTW, does anyone know if the tanks were painted black or were they originally bare galvanized? Thanks
There is no one answer. Some are known to be unpainted . Many were painted black back in the day most likely because it was found that if they were not that the extensive welding needed to join the two bottom half's together (which wasn't done by the donor gas tank mfg) that the welds would quickly flash rust. That would look horrible in short order IMO. It was a fairly common practice to paint welds. Other examples of black painted welds were at the added 65 axle rebound bracket , override bracket on axle tube, 66 front traction bar bracket and sometimes the package shelf carriage bolt spare tire bracket. Some of the entire trunk compartment areas were given the black out treatment too. I can only assume so everything would match. With race cars procedures evolved. Some of the earliest built cars did not have later built car improvements. Some were retrofitted. I suppose on a clone you have to pick a window in time or go with a commonly done aspect. For that matter on original car restorations you have to pick a window in time to restore a car to.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gbart14

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 12:58:32 PM »
Thanks, Bob. Mine was a poor rattle can black. The paint comes off with very mild water soluble paint stripper so I shall see what is underneath. I can only guess that the tank was bought over the counter from Shelby very soon after the purchase as they prepped it for the Mexican rally. Wish I knew who prepped it. Somewhere in LA. No records from Howard Pardee on it.