Author Topic: help with clutch/pressure plate ?  (Read 2821 times)

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
help with clutch/pressure plate ?
« on: April 07, 2018, 12:21:02 PM »
We installed a stock 1987 marine Ford 302-4V in the Tiger back [during the main restoration] in 1990 (got the brand-new engine from a friend).
In that pre-internet era, word-of-mouth suggestions were to use a "Boss 302" clutch.
At that time I went to a local parts store (recommended by a drag racer co-worker) and bought these 2 parts:
C7ZZ75508 Disc and
C7ZZ75638 Pressure Plate.

Since the engine is back out for installing some new parts, it seems like a good time to replace the clutch.
Now - twenty eight years later -I don't know if these parts would still be available, or if they are still a good choice?

Does anyone know if I could still get these - and where?
Or - are there better choices now?

Car is used for cruising, occasional autocross and other "spirited" driving. Not sure if it matters, but Tigers use hydraulic activation. I prefer that everything looks stock.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks, Mark
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Blackcar

• View Profile
Re: help with clutch/pressure plate ?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 07:55:06 PM »
Mark, a factory replacement type would be best for your use. Are you sure the parts need replacing ? Give me a shout I could take a look at the condition of you pressure plate and flywheel its possible you may only need a new disk.

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 09:04:50 PM »
^^^ Thanks.
I have a buddy doing the work, he's been messing with strictly Ford stuff for probably 30 years. The flywheel looks OK, but he said that the clutch and pressure plate don't look so good... much easier to replace now than down the road (hopefully the engine/trans NEVER need to come out again).

So... I see a lot of places selling "Ram" clutches and then Auto Zone has "Duralast"... is there a good way to know what is quality and what is junk?
Thanks,
Mark
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 11:11:19 AM by mark p »
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 11:15:26 AM »
I don't know what brands Advance stocks, but I would ask if the have a good quality choice.  I usually go to Napa for better quality parts, especially anything with friction material.  I have redone more brake jobs than I care to admit due to cheap pads that end up squealing.  If you have a few days, you could order online.

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 01:38:00 PM »
Paul -
Thanks, I have some time, but just don't know how to tell the good from the junk?
I checked VA Classic Mustang and Tony Branda (as SAAC-friendly sources), but they don't seem to have these sort of hidden-from-view type wear parts. I sorta figured that the low $$ parts from Auto Zone were not the answer.

NPD has a "Ram" for Boss 302, that says it is premium?
Any further or specific guidance appreciated.

Mark
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:50:00 PM by mark p »

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 04:41:27 PM »
I usually try to find McLeod or Centerforce.

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 05:18:58 PM »
OK, now I have some good info to search with.
Thanks for the help.
Mark