News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

66-68 289HP Head Question

Started by capecodmustang.com, March 09, 2021, 08:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capecodmustang.com

What do I have here?

capecodmustang.com

DC-DD

Well it is not a 66 head as it has A  C8ZE casting
Might just be a over the counter 68 head

capecodmustang.com

One side says 289 with a double dot
The other side 302

Relicdog

Could be a service replacement head for a Hipo, I also read some where can't remember exactly that Ford started producing parts for a 68 Hipo but the 390 sold so well that they dropped the Hipo.

Relicdog

capecodmustang.com

Quote from: Relicdog on March 09, 2021, 08:44:37 AM
Could be a service replacement head for a Hipo, I also read some where can't remember exactly that Ford started producing parts for a 68 Hipo but the 390 sold so well that they dropped the Hipo.

Relicdog

I'm quite sure it's a service replacement..
The 289/302 throws everything off...

Pretty sure the transition from C7ZE to C8ZE happened sometime in June of 67.  Yours must be some sort of transition.  I'm guessing dated June of 67?  I've often wondered if some of these very early C8 heads made it on very late 67 K codes.  There definitely seem to be some oddities regarding later 67 hipo motors.

Interesting to note it seems the Cleveland cast blocks seem to transition from c5 289 to c8 302 blocks during the same time period.  At least standard 289 blocks, not necessarily hipo blocks.

Jon

pbf777

And a badly worn out pushrod guide slot!     :o

Scott.

gt350hr

For those of you who are guessing . In '68 Ford's initial plan was to have a "HiPo 302". The "for '68" special parts included the C8ZE balancer , the "short" (5.090 long) connecting rod with 3/8ths rod bolts , later released through the Muscle Parts program , and these C8ZE casting ( 302 call out) heads. There were also a run of C5OF distributors. Because engines had to be available , parts had to be made so complete engines could be shipped to assembly plants ahead of car builds.
   Plans changed when the "tunnel port" 302 ( needed for SCCA homologation) pushed the cylinder heads aside. The dismal performance of the engine caused the "street engine" program to also be cancelled , leaving the "J" code engine the best Ford could offer in '68. The "pre production "parts build up was simply sent to Parts and Service division for sale as "HiPo' 289 service parts.
    So the C8ZE head was "not" specifically built as a "service part" it just ended up as one.
  Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Relicdog

Excellent info, that's why I visit this site, the knowledge some people have on this forum is incredible.

Relicdog

gt350hr

Many of the "last" castings were bought up by Crane Engineering and modified to be Fireball heads which have also been discussed on another thread.

chris NOS

Impressive !  ;) learn something new again ! thank you.

gt350hr

Chris ,
       I have spent years studying Ford's system from prototype parts to service parts. One of the things I found was engine build sheets for the ( never released) "HiPo 302" , and how to assemble it. It was a laundry list of the parts used to assemble the engine. The "release" HP was to be 290HP and 325TQ .
    The gentleman "in possession" of the sheets wouldn't let me copy them OR own them. He has since passed and the sheets are probably land fill. The heirs threw away allot of "trash".
   Randy

427hunter

"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years