News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

What is a k code motor worth?

Started by iellis, March 11, 2021, 02:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iellis

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum but not to vintage mustangs. However, I have never owned a true Shelby (yet). My question is what would a k code motor be worth to someone else? I am looking at buying a c code '65 coupe that has a '65 k code motor with correct heads, balancer, alt pulley. It has an aluminium shelby intake manifold (not sure how to know if that is original or aftermarket, but it isn't new), Holley 715s LeMans carb, and cobra oilpan (i don't think the pan is original).

While I love the idea of owning a k code motor, seems a waste to have that motor in a c code car. Since I don't own a k code or shelby car, I thought it would be worth exploring selling the motor to someone that does...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ian

chris NOS

i would suggest to check the ford vin Number on the block ,and the date code behind the starter ,and maybe the asssembly date ,that would affect the desirability and the price .

J_Speegle

Knowing if the assembly is a group of parts with similar date codes (possibly or likely original to each other) would be important to many potential buyers or if its a collection of parts

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SFM6S087

I would look for the VIN on the block and send that to the 1965-66 Registrar to find out if it's from a legit Shelby. If so, then try to reunite the engine with its original car. Shelby owners are usually excited to have a chance to purchase the original engine for their car. If the block is not from an original Shelby I'd keep it. A 289hp in a '65 coupe will be so much fun to drive. I know. I used to have a car like that. Yee ha!

1965-66 Registry = Howard Pardee
      Email = saachp350@gmail.com

Steve

roddster

From what I've noticed, there are a few K-coded chassis running around with out the K code engine./  Seems if you get the engine it would be easier to find a car for it.

Relicdog

If the engine is not from a Shelby, you could check on the Hipo Mustang web site, K-Code owners would also be excited to pair the correct vin. stamped block to their Kar, although not all K-Code blocks were vin. stamped.

Relicdog

NC TRACKRAT

If you do purchase that C-Code and get used to the sound of solid lifters, it'll be very difficult to part with it...unless, of course, you move up the "food chain". ;)
5S071, 6S1467