News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1968 Shelby Headlight Bucket Assembly

Started by Corey Bowcutt, March 13, 2021, 12:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

I have removed my Headlight bucket assemblies on my 68 GT350 and am not sure exactly what I am seeing.  Mine are in pretty rough shape but restorable if they are correct.  But there are differences between the right and left side that make me think something is incorrect with one or both.  I suspect things are not correct. 

I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer:

1) Are the bucket assemblies and brackets the same for a 68 Shelby as for a 68 Mustang?
2) Does anyone have pictures of what a 68 Shelby headlight bucket and brackets should look like?
3) Does anyone have any decent original 68 Shelby bucket assemblies they want to sell?
4) I see Tony Branda has reproduction bucket assemblies and brackets.  Are these a good reproduction?
5) If Tony's are not good are there any good ones available?

Thank you,

Corey

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on March 13, 2021, 12:12:00 PM
I have removed my Headlight bucket assemblies on my 68 GT350 and am not sure exactly what I am seeing.  Mine are in pretty rough shape but restorable if they are correct.  But there are differences between the right and left side that make me think something is incorrect with one or both.  I suspect things are not correct. 

1) Are the bucket assemblies and brackets the same for a 68 Shelby as for a 68 Mustang?
2) Does anyone have pictures of what a 68 Shelby headlight bucket and brackets should look like?
3) Does anyone have any decent original 68 Shelby bucket assemblies they want to sell?
4) I see Tony Branda has reproduction bucket assemblies and brackets.  Are these a good reproduction?

Thank you,

Corey
Buckets are different. To the best of my knowledge you are better off to go with original fiberglass unless someone makes the molded type so smooth on the inside. What brackets are you referring to? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on March 13, 2021, 02:59:00 PM
Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on March 13, 2021, 12:12:00 PM

Thank you,

Corey
Buckets are different. To the best of my knowledge you are better off to go with original fiberglass unless someone makes the molded type so smooth on the inside. What brackets are you referring to? Gary
I think he may be referring to the metal bulb bucket assembly and bracket to hold to the fender and not the fiberglass headlight buckets.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

The inner, metal bulb retainer and brackets are not the same as Mustang.

The brackets are Shelby unique. I have not seen the reproduction brackets recently, but in the past they were not like the originals

The buckets are from a Ford Falcon.

Corey Bowcutt

Attached are pictures of what I have in my car.  The brackets are slightly different on one side than the other.  One side has built in bosses at the bucket mounting locations and the other used those standard clip nuts turned backwards.  Are one or both of these correct?

Also do the buckets shown in the picture below look correct?

I am trying to make out the details from Bob's pictures but it is hard to tell.  It does appear in Bob's pictures that the brackets used the inverted clip nuts?

Thank you,

Corey

Coralsnake

I have not seen the brackets with raised bosses. The u nuts used as spaces are much more common

I guess I would like to see the bosses more closely after you have cleaned them up

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Coralsnake

Corey Bowcutt

I am putting things back together and have a question about the headlight assemblies.  I purchased the AMK Headlamp Bucket & Bracket (Shelby) kit F-267.  I comes with 6 J-Nuts used as spacers and 14 black sheet metal screws.  I am confused as to why there are only 6 J-nut spacers.  This would indicate only 3 per side.  Yet from my counting there are 4 screws per side used to mount the bucket to the frame and 3 screws used to mount the frame to the fender.  I see in the pictures Bob supplied that 4 screws are indeed used but I can not tell if there is another spacer in the 4th location?  Can anyone shed any light?

Thank you,  Corey

TLea

total of 8 j nuts used between brackets and bucket. 8 screws for bucket to bracket and 4 (2 each side) for outer bracket to fender. The u nuts as spacers were not used on early cars. I would guess changeover sometime in December 67

Corey Bowcutt

Thank you Tim, that is what I was guessing.  Mine being a February car I will assume I use them as spacers.  So odd that the AMK fastener kit only has 6 J-Nuts.  Now I know how to proceed.

Thank you,

Corey