News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Lighted SAI sign

Started by 6s1640, March 14, 2021, 02:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

What's the deal with this sign?  The seller seems to have too many signs identical to be finding them as originals. He's got to be making them. He's getting extremely good money for them.  I have seen him sell this exact sign three or four times maybe more.

Cory

outlawincorporated

CORY.

reproductions;  i contacted him approx 4 months ago as i was interested but sceptical at the same time. yeah since them he has run many auctions for many signs, your particular picture he got prime dollars for that one normally has been getting $400-500

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

Side-Oilers

Did any SAI sign have  "Genuine Parts & Accessories"  on it?

Me thinks not.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

KR Convertible

The bottom of the sign says "Ford GT".   I would think a vintage one would say "GT 40".

The "official" name of the GT40 was Ford GT.

I like the sign at a reproduction price.

6s1640

IIRC, Some time ago I had a second chance offer around $200 for the same sign.  I thought that was too high for a repop.  I like the sign. I passed.

Cory

6s1640

The seller has a duplicate sign up for auction again.  The image below is from the auction back 02-28-21.  His description leads the potential buyer that the sign might be old, back in the day.  He says "Used Previously displayed Shelby lighted sign."   I don't know why he is just does not say he is making these.  They do look nice.

Do you think he has a license to sell Carroll Shelby items?    https://www.shelby.com/carrollshelbylicensing

Cory

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Lighted-Ford-Shelby-Shelby-Motors-Signs-Mustang-GT-350-GT-500-Cobra-sign/384069695139?hash=item596c5676a3:g:AycAAOSwGtFf~5hR

shelbymann1970

If he keeps selling them then the chances of having a bunch of the same sign  is pretty rare. Here is his ad description on a Hurst shifter sign: Selling at NO RESERVE a Used Previously displayed hurst shifters lighted sign.. Now if he had hung them up first for any amount of time it isn't lying. He does not say it is from the 60s or 70s so? he also states: Purchased with additional automotive decor. which if he is getting numerous pieces wholesale it could be a true statement. But to me it implies the sign is old and he got it out of a collection with many other pieces. I got a friend who is a big collector of memorabilia. I'd find "old" signs and stuff and shoot him pics. Every time these pieces(antiques and collectible stores I visit on the west side of my state  sold by individual space dealers) so far have come up as fakes and he explained why. I'm talking large signs. Gary
Also private listing sales so you cannot see how many he has sold recently of a particular product....Did you also notice all his signs have the same exact type of gold metal  border? What are the odds?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

martyjac

I would say most if not all of his signs are reproductions. If you look at his description, it is very misleading to an unsuspecting buyer. People pay good money for signs that never existed back in the day or aren't even right. One example is his "Shelby America"  titled sign. From what I've read too, they're not even that well made. Genuine signs would go for much more than he is getting.

I assume he avoids licensing issues calling them used?

FL SAAC

" nefarious marketing "

Quote from: martyjac on April 03, 2021, 07:46:29 AM
I would say most if not all of his signs are reproductions. If you look at his description, it is very misleading to an unsuspecting buyer. People pay good money for signs that never existed back in the day or aren't even right. One example is his "Shelby America"  titled sign. From what I've read too, they're not even that well made. Genuine signs would go for much more than he is getting.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

Quote from: 2112 on April 03, 2021, 11:28:34 AM
I assume he avoids licensing issues calling them used?

great point
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

69mach351w

He has a Mach1 sign I really like ;D

69mach351w

Quote from: 6s1640 on March 14, 2021, 02:56:46 PM
Hi all,

What's the deal with this sign?  The seller seems to have too many signs identical to be finding them as originals. He's got to be making them. He's getting extremely good money for them.  I have seen him sell this exact sign three or four times maybe more.

Cory
Actually the seller never states they're "originals".

6s1640

Quote from: 69mach351w on April 03, 2021, 07:54:33 PM
Quote from: 6s1640 on March 14, 2021, 02:56:46 PM
Hi all,

Cory
Actually the seller never states they're "originals".

I am sure he has carefully selected his words to avoid none truths.  He is hoping at least two bidders miss-interpret "previously displayed" and "some minor defects" making the light seem older or even from back in the day.  He is getting really good money for pieces he is making in his garage.  They are all too similar and many repeated to be finding these lights at flee markets and the like.  Caveat emptor.

Take care

Cory