News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ultra-Rare Street-Legal 1966 Ford GT40 MK1 Just Went up for Sale

Started by 2112, March 13, 2021, 11:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6R07mi

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on March 13, 2021, 12:02:09 PM
The Mark I was not street legal. They made the Mark III nose to raise the headlights to a legal level for street use. At least in the US.

The Mk III was a road-car only, of which seven were built. ..... many customers interested in buying a GT40 for road use chose to buy a Mk I that was available from Wyer Ltd.....

Huh?  "Mark I was not street legal"
P1057 "Production road coupe" vs P1001 "Production racing coupe"
I would infer "road coupe" is a description of a car not intended for racing?
So that leaves non-racing use i.e. street use.  now if you are debating whether those cars were "legal",
as you stated the MK-III was an attempt to make the cars meet the increasing Federal standards, just like 66 GT350 exhaust & 67 headlights
that is a much different discussion, as mentioned it could vary state by state & country by country as many stayed in Europe.

regards
jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

Vernon Estes

This car was purchased new by a notable character here in KC who had a number of very cool Shelby/Cobra cars, Nick Nero.

Kind regards,

Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Vernon Estes on March 15, 2021, 06:26:23 PM
This car was purchased new by a notable character here in KC who had a number of very cool Shelby/Cobra cars, Nick Nero.

Kind regards,

Vern
Nick told me the story of when he bought it and picked it up in Chicago where it was on display for publicity at a indoor car show representing a Ford dealership I think . The handlers from the dealer ship wouldn't let him take the car for a couple days until the show was over. That didn't go over well with Nick and he told them "try and stop me". I was a little naive about Nicks past because he was always extremely nice to me in his later retired years and had no reason to take him other then face value. I was told by others who saw me with him to be careful . Nick was a connected guy if you know what I mean in KC. I was unaware. Anyway He had a couple of buddies with him he said and he jumped in the car and drove it out. He didn't elaborate on what transpired just to say he took the car. After I found out later about his past the whole story took on a new scenario when I envisioned him and his buddies taking the car. No guns blazing or anything like that , but I am pretty sure that there was a intimidation factor going on while taking the car with his buddies.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby