News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Barrett Jackson - Scottsdale 2021: 1962-70 Shelby American vehicles

Started by silverton_ford, March 15, 2021, 07:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluemax

Quote from: Hockeylife on March 28, 2021, 01:09:04 AM
Quote from: sfm5s081 on March 27, 2021, 10:52:04 PM
All big new numbers! They're on the rise. Stock market down, car market up

Stock market down...where've you been?

No kidding! Hell of a year for me last year... actually contemplating retirement sooner than originally planned!  8)
6S235

shelbydoug

Quote from: 2112 on March 27, 2021, 11:15:02 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on March 27, 2021, 06:55:53 PM
I think The Q got to Pete too? All is lost!

Well, I guess you didn't call him a racist. (Directly)

Well it is conspiratorial in a sense that more and more cars seemingly are only getting sold at BJ for the big money and less on Craiglist with a lawn mower as a possible trade in?

Of course a person can only be proven wrong if they give their opinion so many unlike Pete prefer to take the safe position and not. Some like the resulting banter others deflect that into conspiracy theory? Kudos to Pete for stirring the pot and taking the heat for it.  ;)

I wouldn't call him a racist although he does have a tendency of preferring certain colors on cars.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Thank you all. I am once again reminded why professionals should not play with amateurs.

Barrett-Jackson wholesale? Good one. You guys had me going for a second.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 28, 2021, 08:34:58 AM
Thank you all. I am once again reminded why professionals should not play with amateurs.

We don't get many CEO's openly posting here even so, I'd think that they all had hedged positions to defend?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Wedgeman

Anyone on here have a clue who bought Craig Jackson's 65 GT350   and the Super Snake ?... ???

67 GT350

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 27, 2021, 06:11:27 PM
This is very easily explained and I will do that for you

I define full "retail" as the price you can buy one of these cars for any day of the week. You can find these cars at dealerships and with brokers.

Retail is above private sale prices. If a dealer sells a car they are marking the car up to make a profit and cover their expenses. That seems pretty straight forward to me.

I just watched a 1970 fastback sell for $198k. Sounds great! I have also been saying you can expect to pay plus 40% when they go to auction. My guides haven't changed from that statement in 20 years.
Lets see subtract 40% for 198k and you have full retail. Not a high price...an auction price.

I am not telling people how much to sell their cars for, quite the opposite. If you do your homework you wont spend $198k for a car you can buy for $140k.

Are there outcasts and strange things -absolutely.

Where are the private sales coming from? I have been watching the prices for 68/69 Shelbys for 35 years.

If you want to believe the hype, feel free. Maybe you have different observations. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Now on to something more important. Where is next year's convention?

I really hope its the track closest to my house.

😀

Agree, there will be many ebay "re-list'villes" happening now that BJ upped the "values" LOL. We got one now, the red 66, "wasted away again in re-list-ville" I offered 170K and that might be too much. But I know that car and how the "original owner" took care of it.
RARE  Signature Delete

67 GT350

Quote from: Rukiddin on March 27, 2021, 06:55:27 PM
In the late model auto business dealers many times buy their inventory at auctions (for dealers only,not street people) and then mark the price up to meet market price. I wholesaled cars for years and could watch market change from area to area. Mega dealers like Carmax still rely on auctions to fill their lots. Weekly reports (Black book,etc) list sale price averages at many levels. Retail is highest,not lowest. Retail takes into account warranties,etc. I believe the Mecum/BJ auctions are still wholesale as most cars are resold again (retail) Hagerty and similar companies track prices to be accurate in many ways. Documenting sales that "happen" between individuals is not considered reliable. We might see anothe '68 Shelby fb break the $200K again tonight. Should that be included in the mix? Every car has a story. Selling the "story" has become the most profitable twist to "value".  2021 will be very interesting.

And many have bought into the hype only a few years later, to sell at the same place for a lot less. The auctioneer with a happy voice says something like, this it the way to buy a car after some guy overspent on it and brings same car back and is now selling at a loss......yes!! BJ makes their good ole money every time! Cha-Ching.

Personally I never watch it and unless I want to overspend, I won't.
RARE  Signature Delete

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Wedgeman on March 28, 2021, 11:00:19 AM
Anyone on here have a clue who bought Craig Jackson's 65 GT350   and the Super Snake ?... ???

C'mon we all saw Wicks buy the Super Snake. Those retired postal employees all have 5 mil of disposable cash lying around. Doesn't really matter they will both get hidden away in private collections for 4-5 years. Then they will be dragged out and hit 2 or 3 shows just before the new owners sell them to the next private collection
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

67 GT350

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 28, 2021, 08:34:58 AM

A+ LOL BJ wholesale auction house.....LOL Drunk Suckers auction!
RARE  Signature Delete

chris NOS

962 500 $ for a regular 1965 GT350 , i can't believe this is a true sale .... ::)

sfm5s081

@chrisnos, it's such a ridiculous number- it most likely has to be true. If it was $600k, I'd probably start to wonder

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: chris NOS on March 28, 2021, 01:40:20 PM
962 500 $ for a regular 1965 GT350 , i can't believe this is a true sale .... ::)
Before he owned Little Red he tried to get a million for the Green Hornet. He pulled it when it didn't make his reserve. I wonder how much he'll want for the pair? I predict they'll be on the block together as a package next year.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Wedgeman

ya gotta wonder.. anyone there on the block or watching it on FYI ?  The bidding was jumping in 25K increments...see anyone in the crowd that was an actual bidder?... :-\

shelbyhertz66

I do know that if I sell my 67 GT350
it won't be where I can't put a reserve on it.

427heaven

Thats the scary part right there! Holding back many people to go forward with an auction. :-\