News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ziebart Undercoating

Started by Smity, March 16, 2021, 02:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smity

Is anyone familiar with Ziebart undercoating?  Have a 68:that had this applied when the car was new, not sure if this negatively effects the value of the car..

propayne

I remember when it was offered (and maybe it is still around?) - but never had it applied.

That is because I was told that the service requited that small holes be cut to access some areas with the spray wands.

Not sure if that is 100% accurate or not.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Coralsnake

There are so many items that go into determining the value of a car, that one factor alone might not make a significant impact.

It depends on history and many other items

It does make it much harder to evaluate the condition of the metal. Ziebart also drilled and plugged holes on many occasions

Overall it certainly is not going to enhance the value.

I personally would say its a negative 
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

jguyer

Had it done to my KR, while it may have made the underside looked bad and they did put many holes in various places, I haven't had to do all the rust repair that has been necessary on my '67. If I lived in Arizona, I could have avoided both.

"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

whiteykr

+1 with Coralsnake.
I have seen the yellow plugs all over the place when I open the doors. They would be on the rockers and door jambs. Then I see undercoating all over the engine compartment. This would be time consuming and expensive to repair.
So I would say it is a deduction to the value of the car.How much? We can all have our own # on that.

csxsfm

Kid with a drill and a "tar gun."  What could go wrong?

Rukiddin

Some Ford dealers offered same service and required the same 1/2" holes but had "official" Ford plugs. I think that if I had a car with a bunch of yellow plugs I would replace them with the Ford blue ones.....if you can find them

jguyer

Quote from: csxsfm on March 17, 2021, 09:41:57 AM
Kid with a drill and a "tar gun."  What could go wrong?
When you're a kid with a car, what do you know?

68countrysedan

In the '70s and early '80s, corrosion was a big issue with domestic cars and rust proofing was popular. I had two cars in NY that were rust proofed and 40 years later, they are corrosion free. Quality depended on operator skill. Ziebart was a big retailer along with Rusty Jones and Tuff Kote Dinal.

As for a rust proofed Shelby upsides would be the owner drove the car and protected it so it's still solid today. To me that's a win win.

gt350bp

I agree! I'd rather be fixing a few 1/2" holes than floors, quarters and rockers. I bought my 68 KR in 1981 and had the doors Ziebart coated in 1982. I removed the door panels and never had them drill any holes. Had no thoughts back then about the cars value / originality etc. Just wanted to keep my rust-belt car from going back to nature.

Don
gt350bp

whiteykr

68 country sedan and Don,
I see both of your points and understand that can be a +. The red KR that sold at auction in Indiana had been ziebart. Yellow plugs and undercoating everywhere. It sold for an unbelievable amount. Something around $250k .Huge money. But since I am a body and paint man , I do not want to see those plugs when I open the door. And the 4 places that rust in the engine compt. On the 67-68s were still rusted.Nothing wrong with different opinions.
Brad

gt350bp

10-4! When I bought my car it was to be a driver, so I never thought about resale value or selling. I still have it! Was lucky to get a Scottsdale, AZ car.

Don
gt350bp

vtgt500

Very good points made regarding current condition with and without rust proofing.  Here in northern New England, a new, daily driven, period car would be so heavily rotted after only three years it may not pass the annual safety inspection.  Keep in mind, many internal areas were bare steel.  Ziebart was a franchise some dealers offered.  Was hugely profitable.  However, quality was entirely up to the kid entrusted to do the work.  Believe there were a number of warranty suits that damaged Ziebart.  Not sure if they even exist anymore.  Locally, Fluid Film and NHO (New Hampshire Oil) are annual efforts.  Both work OK.  On my new purchase opted for WaxOyl applied by the most experienced and respected applicator in North America.  Maybe 60 years from now the car will be discussed on a forum debating my decision.

jguyer

FYI Ziebart World HQ is still in Troy, MI.

roddster

Well, I can tell you that it worked.  I must have had the last non-rusted 77 Volare wagon in the south Chicago suburbs.  But, I at least had the car Zeibarted within one week of driving it home frome the dealer.
  I do  recall looking at a 67 GT350 (not mine) that had been Zeibarted but that was done about 6-7 years after being sold new.  That is too late to have stoppd the start of any corrosion.