Author Topic: Decoding Date Codes Article  (Read 4669 times)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Decoding Date Codes Article
« on: March 21, 2021, 07:07:15 PM »
Owners and builders often have questions about how to interpret date coding found on parts that make up our cars and because of this we often see questions related to the subject pop up from time to time on the forums. Since the parts were made at many different plants and by sub-contractors also the patterns can and often vary even over time. Thought I would share an article that was first published about five years ago and has seen eleven updates since then, adding new items and refining information. Hope the information contained within is helpful to those in need.

It's fifty four pages long so please be patient as it loads. Tried to get the file as small as possible to help it load quickly not sure if I'm happy with the changes that took place during that conversion but it is what it is for the moment. Happy reading :)

https://www.docdroid.net/Kw76u1g/articles-datesopenpub2021v10b-pdf
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Decoding Date Codes Article
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 08:47:25 PM »
Thank you Jeff, it's a great read, and useful resource. We appreciate your hard work and dedication to the hobby. Denny

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 11:54:20 PM »

Agreed.
What a wonderful contribution.
Thank you.

T-Bone68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 12:24:40 AM »
Oh man, that's helpful.  Thank you Jeff!

gjz30075

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 05:56:46 AM »
Fantastic!   Thanks Jeff!
Greg Z
6S2249

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 09:35:25 AM »
Owners and builders often have questions about how to interpret date coding found on parts that make up our cars and because of this we often see questions related to the subject pop up from time to time on the forums. Since the parts were made at many different plants and by sub-contractors also the patterns can and often vary even over time. Thought I would share an article that was first published about five years ago and has seen eleven updates since then, adding new items and refining information. Hope the information contained within is helpful to those in need.

It's fifty four pages long so please be patient as it loads. Tried to get the file as small as possible to help it load quickly not sure if I'm happy with the changes that took place during that conversion but it is what it is for the moment. Happy reading :)

https://www.docdroid.net/Kw76u1g/articles-datesopenpub2021v10b-pdf

Nice article!
Perhaps I missed it but when is or isn't the letter 'I' used for a month in the date code? I've gone on the premise that when it's stamped 'I' is used, when it's cast, 'I' is not used.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 03:29:42 PM »
Nice article!
Perhaps I missed it but when is or isn't the letter 'I' used for a month in the date code? I've gone on the premise that when it's stamped 'I' is used, when it's cast, 'I' is not used.

Thanks

When we look and talk about such practices it is a wide subject given the number of Ford and non-Ford plants that made parts and practices differed when it comes to date coding - the reason there are over a hundred different patterns in the article

Can you give me an example where an "I" was used during 64-73 on a stamp part used on our Shelby's?

Just so that we can be on the same page
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 05:57:53 PM »

Can you give me an example where an "I" was used during 64-73 on a stamp part used on our Shelby's?

I can not give an example. Thus I was asking if 'I' was used in a stamped part.  You answered my question ;)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 07:21:07 PM »
Can't recall one either. Seems that all/most manufactures saw the same issues (confusion with other letters or numbers)  with the use and skipped it also

DRGT350

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 07:43:12 PM »
this is great work Jeff ! - thank you for publishing this..

dave

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 12:38:13 AM »
Thanks for all the kind comments and glad it can help other answer some questions they might have needed or just help them be better informed.

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 02:17:50 AM »
You did a good job of reducing the size of the file as it only took about 5 or 6 seconds to load at least for me.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 10:40:59 AM »
was fast for me too, and thank you ! realy educational ;)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2021, 04:24:20 PM »
Appears that the "free" cloud service I choose to store this article and the undercarriage details ones on has added some CR** to the viewing process.

Wasn't there when I posted all the undercarriage articles. I opened this morning after seeing the post clicked the page, which opened another tab, which I quickly closed. The article is viewable and down loadable once you close out a couple of popups. Yes I have ad block on.

In any case will look for a new place to store these.  Not sure if this new development is something that takes place once I load so much info on that storage site or the number of downloads/views. Wanted this to be a positive so we'll figure out something then relink the threads

Sorry for any hassle or concern

Mike Shally

• original owner, 68 Shelby, MCA Gold Card
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 09:36:34 PM »
This is a very details article and should be available to anyone restoring a Concourse Shelby.
Thanks for the hard work.
original owner, 68 Shelby judge, MCA Gold Card Judge, MCACN Shelby Judge