Author Topic: Barn Find B9  (Read 5459 times)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Barn Find B9
« on: March 22, 2021, 10:28:34 PM »
https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/0321/open-roads--march/lots/r0020-1969-ford-mustang-boss-429/1053888

Chassis No.
Serial No.
9F02Z159757
KK 1356
Documents: US Title

One of 859 produced for 1969
Stored since for 30 years in a barn
Desirable factory Raven Black over black
No engine or transmission, partial rear end; perfect opportunity for a blank slate build
Accompanied by original build sheet and a Deluxe Marti Report
In the late 1960s, facing stiff competition in NASCAR from Chrysler, Ford developed a new 429-cubic inch V-8 with all-new free-flowing cylinder heads, an aluminum high-rise intake manifold, a 735 CFM Holley carburetor, 11.0:1 compression, header-style exhaust manifolds, and a beefy four-bolt main block, conservatively rated at 375 horsepower.

When dropped into the Mustang, it created the Boss 429, a pony car with abundant muscle. To handle the power, the stout “Toploader” four-speed manual transmission and a 3.91:1 Traction-Lok rear axle were mandatory options. Other features included an engine oil cooler, a trunk-mounted battery, a competition suspension with front and rear anti-roll bars, power front disc brakes, and fat F60x15 tires. The production process required numerous modifications to accommodate the new engine, including cutting and relocating the shock towers. To alleviate the in-house production burden, Ford had the cars sent to Kar Kraft, of Brighton, Michigan.

The Boss 429 was the priciest non-Shelby Mustang to date, at $4,087, and it was available in very limited numbers, with fewer than 900 produced for the 1969 model year.

This Boss 429 was produced on 21 February 1969, finished in Raven Black over a black interior. It left the factory assigned KK# 1356, powered by the legendary 429 engine, backed by a four-speed close ratio manual transmission which sent power to a 3.91:1 Traction-Lok rear axle. The Boss was further equipped with functional front air spoiler, trunk mounted battery, visibility group, console, power front disc brakes, power steering, interior decor group-deluxe, AM radio, deluxe belts/warning light, color keyed racing mirrors, and competition suspension. Upon completion it was delivered to Hill & Sanders Ford in Wheaton, Maryland.

The car’s NASCAR 429 engine was taken out in the late 1980s to be rebuilt. Unfortunately the shop that was commissioned to complete the work went out of business and the engine was unable to be recovered. Despite not retaining the engine, this car provides the perfect starting point for a blank slate build of one of the most feared muscle cars ever built. The Boss has been stored in a barn for over 30 years. The engine and transmission have been removed years ago, and do not accompany the car. Additionally, the rear end is not correct for the car and the third member is missing. The trunk was replaced with a “regular” trunk and has holes where the M-U-S-T-A-N-G letters would go. The trunk does still have the battery tray and cables, and the mount holes for the spare on the driver side of the trunk. The Boss is accompanied by its original build sheet, a Deluxe Marti Report, and assorted parts.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Barn Find B9
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 10:33:52 PM »
More

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 07:05:44 AM »
I sent a question a few days ago about the mileage of the car with no answer yet from the auction site. Missing a lot of $$$$ in parts and some may be unobtanium in nature these days unless you buy repo. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 07:58:12 AM »
Wish there was more undercarriage pics. That one big rust hole by the steering box worries me, and it was a Maryland car. I have a 427 I need to find a car for.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 09:26:52 AM »
 I often wonder how do these cars get into barn find condition? I think I have the answer and it runs parallel to all my racer friends that PEOPLE go all in, or max out their checkbooks to do what ever they are doing. If something happens to the car or race vehicle they cant repair it. There is just something about owning or racing the biggest baddest fastest vehicle you can own. Thoughts ? Anyone ever been in that situation ?

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 10:07:55 AM »
I just wonder why???? To restore this car, (not a back yard, hobby type), I mean a top notch restoration, it would simply be better to buy one that is already "there" or a driver quality one....and have it in your garage to start up and drive, or if you prefer trailer to a show.
I bought a Boss years ago in parts/rotted. FIVE shops and 10 years later, it was done, but I would NEVER do that again. NEVER!
That car unless, it sells for less than it is at now, would not be worth it. I would guess, to CORRECTLY RESTORE it, you are looking at 200K more. Guess what, Bosses have come down greatly. Try hunting the correct original Ford parts.
Why did the owner pick a place that makes it so hard to place a bid? I mean, this is a ebay car, put it on ebay and let Tom, Dick, and or Harry try to out do each other. It might do more there.
Personally, and I have no affiliation to him, but I would Have a guy like Stephen Becker find me a nice one and just pay him the money, I bet you will be close to that after jerking around with this one, and you can "use" it however you want as soon as it is delivered!
RARE  Signature Delete

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 12:47:14 PM »
About the only way to pull off a restoration like this is to be able to do all or most of the work no sublet. That and have a in stock parts inventory similar to Bob Perkins. You would be crazy upside down otherwise.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 01:00:46 PM »
And yet, pound for pound, I bet it sells for more than a complete running car.

Projects like this typically do.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 01:31:35 PM »
About the only way to pull off a restoration like this is to be able to do all or most of the work no sublet. That and have a in stock parts inventory similar to Bob Perkins. You would be crazy upside down otherwise.

Even if one has all the missing parts, they still have a high value for this particular car.

My head spins thinking of piecing this one back together. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 02:29:27 PM »
I think some are falling into the how much does a restoration cost trap. If this car sold for $75k and was missing $75k in parts, thats a $150k Black Boss 429. I think a lot of people would be players at that price. If you wanted to spread the costs out you have that option. In five years this car could be worth considerably more. A little elbow grease and that thing will look like a new penny. Not every car has to be concours restored.

You will also know exactly what you have and there is a lot of value in that.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 02:36:39 PM by Coralsnake »

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 02:54:23 PM »
I looked at this car in a VA barn about 8 months ago.

There was a 67 GT 500 and a Griffith too.

Just couldn't work out a deal.  The "middle man" wanted $30K cash on the side and refused to give me an actual price of any of the vehicles....

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 05:40:59 PM »
I'd say there's more than $75K in parts. Unless someone buying just plans on not doing any paint/body. and just getting it drivable. JMO

Me?  I'd just drop a small block in it and give it a wash job and drive it. Lol, it'll always be a Boss 429 no matter what engine's in it ;D

Copied and saved the photo of engine compartment minus engine just to have cause you hardly ever see a Boss9 engine bay w/o the engine ;)

POST UPDATE: Just noticed the severe rust in trunk area, not good. Probably in the chassis as well. Hmmm!!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 01:08:24 PM by 69mach351w »

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 06:06:58 PM »
"A little elbow grease and that thing will shine like a new penny."   :o

I realize Pete's comment is (probably) tongue-in-cheek, but we've all heard more grandiose statements from sellers regarding the ease of restoring a car.

On a car in this condition, I'm with the "buy it finished" camp.  Been there, done that, with basket-case restos.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 06:08:41 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
  • Next to sex, I like my Shelby best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 06:09:58 PM »
I agree, I like seeing the B-9 engine bay.

Are B-9 shocks the same size as non-B9 Mustangs?

It seems that the upper mount is an inch or two lower than other Mustangs.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & ‘74.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 09:36:51 AM »
To be clear there is a big gaping hole in the frame by the steering box. I have never seen a 69 rust there-I did have a 1971 Challenger RT/SE V-code rust in that same exact spot in 1980. So what about other areas? I'd say you will be doing some structural repair before you drop any engine into it. A friend has a list with Ed on parts for his B9. As far as I know some of those parts are not out there right now so buying this and then buying the boatload of  parts to make it a complete car just might not be possible. It is like musical chairs on Boss 429 parts. Last one in......
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)