News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ignition Points

Started by csxsfm, March 26, 2021, 09:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csxsfm

Any point sets recommended for 6500 - 7000 rpm in a 289 dual point?

427heaven

I ran many small blocks over the years and my guy set up my distributors with factory 6 cylinder points sets. I have had no issues with factory HIPO dual point distributors with this set up to 7500 rpm. He stated they are low tension so they dont bounce or eat up your cam block that they ride on. Hope this helps!

Rukiddin

Just to save people from trying to use 6 cyl points in Ford dual point distributors.........they WON'T,DON'T,CAN'T fit a
HiPo ( or any other Ford dual point distributor) period. They are a "mirror image" of the 8 cyl dual point parts,but that is all. Possibly he meant DP-6 ( C9AZ-C Ford#). The only way to prevent point bounce is higher tension,just like valve springs.

Find the Ford made points or possibly ACCEL. Hard to find today.
Take this to the bank...

Relicdog

I use Echlin CS 756 in my K-Code
excellent replacement, there sold
at Napa.

Relicdog

427heaven

I was sure he said they were for a 6, maybe he meant dp 6 points... and dc 6 condenser. As I found a few of those in the stash pile.

s2ms

Quote from: Relicdog on March 27, 2021, 07:42:42 PM
I use Echlin CS 756 in my K-Code
excellent replacement, there sold
at Napa.

Relicdog

+1. If you can't find original Ford DP6 points, Echlin CS756 are exact replacements. Been using them for many years as well.
Dave - 6S1757

csxsfm

Thanks for the input guys.  Too bad Motorcraft has abandon us.   

JohnSlack

Don't get lost in just points, bushings are one of the most overlooked problem items in older distributors.
John

gt350hr

The "best" were/are the points for the transistorized ignitions. These were called "low inertia" points as the contact on the arm is about half the normal size this weight reduction and a bit stiffer spring allowed me to bun over 8,000 without point "float". These days they still show up on Ebay but are pricey.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

427heaven

Ok Im not day dreaming here, those are what my guy in So Cal used many years ago, he had his hands on most of the fastest fords in the 70s 80s and 90s in the LA area, What were the numbers on those Randy if you recall?

gt350hr

Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.