Author Topic: Cobra Caravan pictures in NYC Dec 2, 1965  (Read 18800 times)

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
Re: Cobra Caravan pictures in NYC Dec 2, 1965
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2021, 12:51:40 PM »
Yea, that might not be a good thing. We get a lot of abuse here despite some of the nicer places to live,
Moorestown was voted one of the best places to live in the country a few years ago. It's very nice, but....
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2021, 03:44:10 PM »

Not that many people would care but...That aerial view looks really dated!
The entire wooded forest between RT295, on the right, and the mall is now a small road with an exit ramp.
The whole wooded area is filled with stores, restaurants, etc. (The photo is looking north)
RT 38 is to the left side of the mall and the NJ turnpike is just peeking in on the upper right.

The Pic is dated from 1977

The 11th Stop was 15 Dec 65 in New York City, where the Thread begin

i will not repost the Pics from the Revs, but i looked again and it is wonderfull
to see everytime something new

for the Union Carbide Building, 270 Park Avenue, New York City i found some Pics

Edith:

Of course, the Book signature Event at BRENTANOS Book Store was also at Cobra Caravan Tour,
i was not able where the Store was in NYC, anybody knows that ???

special for me is the parking 427 Street Cobra ...

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 04:50:28 PM by Szabo »

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2021, 05:26:53 PM »
The book signing at BRENTANOS might have be at the main location noted as; 5th Ave at 27th street

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2021, 03:20:32 PM »
Hey all,

last stop for CC should be at Providence, 17 Dec 65, Rhode Island

but like Chicago and Washington i found still nothing ... of course when i read
something about Providence the first thing i think is TASCA and his high performance Cars

also we know that TASCA sell 5S213 later to Peru with other GT350 R

but like i say, there is nothing to read, and no pic at all
(but for sure i will not give up, best evidence is the GT/108 Thread where i found the last puzzle piece
after nearly a year on a new database where i find)

i will add the modified map with the known and new to know Point of the Tour

But there is a lot new to material which i discoverd, so will make a few more
replys here, hope you still enjoy and maybe can give an answer

First of all the Rest i will show the Cobra Caravan Press Pack,
like the 65 & 66 Press Packs a rare item today

Often i read about 5 Pics with Text but there was 6 Pics with a text in the Pack,

some Paperwork too which i dont find in good reading resolution, so when somebody have
this paperwork, please let me know or post here, maybe there is something
knew to know

The Pic that sometime is missing is that Cobra Daytona Pic, which is also in the later 66 Press Pack
the text is different, so only with both together you have the Pack complete

Next Step is to look at the history of the Cars little befor and after the Tour,
to make some "proofed" or "not proofed" decisions
and to have a look of a little intern paperwork

Hope you enjoy ?

Tired Sheep

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2021, 04:55:55 PM »
Well done. You are one of the best researchers in my opinion.  You should contact Mr Kopec and submit this for the magazine!

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2021, 10:37:09 PM »
Stephan,
I have no doubt you will continue to look for the breadcrumbs of this Caravan tour and the book signing stops.

It's too bad nothing has appeared for Chicago or Providence!
I still think D.C. was replaced with the Moorestown NJ stop, since it's the same date.

Thanks for posting all the press kit photos and small articles with each one. Mike (Honker) posted 3 of them earlier in the thread, but you finished it up here with all 6 photos and the attached articles.

Your photos show at least 5 pages of copy with the press kit. 1 of those 5 looks to have a staple so maybe it is 2 pages or more. I have been looking for readable copies of those (without purchasing one, that will only collect dust with me).
There may be more than 5.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2021, 12:30:19 AM »
Excellent job, Stephan!  Thanks for all the new info.

The Caravan drivers sure saw a "lot of nowhere" between Nevada and Dallas, taking the long way.

What happened to the transporter and cars after they finished the last destination on the east coast?  I'd assume that the same transport truck and drivers brought it all back to Imperial Bl.  Does anyone know?
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2021, 12:42:00 PM »
Excellent job, Stephan!  Thanks for all the new info.

The Caravan drivers sure saw a "lot of nowhere" between Nevada and Dallas, taking the long way.

What happened to the transporter and cars after they finished the last destination on the east coast?  I'd assume that the same transport truck and drivers brought it all back to Imperial Bl.  Does anyone know?

Stephan is determined. We like that!

The transporter shows up after the tour in a few photos (some shown earlier in this thread). The SAI race team continued to use the transporter painted in the Caravan paint scheme, as it shows up in random places like Riverside in '66 and '67. It was also used for a few deliveries, off season, around the country. It seems to disappear sometime later in 1967, but the trailer might have been repainted in the new Trans am team blue paint color for 1968. The cab was probably upgraded to a newer model, possible in late '67.

I sent Stephan an email that we could talk about the cars, perhaps in another thread. There are several photos of them before the Caravan, but it gets tough to find them afterwards.

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2021, 03:56:51 PM »
Well done. You are one of the best researchers in my opinion.  You should contact Mr Kopec and submit this for the magazine!

Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart ...

I personal think that i dont have this depth knowaledge of all the little things come together,
Rich (Richstang) or Kieth (SFM66H), Brian Styles (SRG Research) or Pete (Coralsnake) are so much deeper in the rabbit hole then i,
and i dont have Access to the sources of SAAC, which would bringing me to a hole new level with some hard bulletproofed details

Most important is to Thank Rich (Richstang), we have email contact and he always helped me with Pics and information

I am a little shy to contact Mr. Kopec or Mr. Pardee but maybe i should just do it ...

i will continue with some loose Pics and Information i found on my research,
your thought are very welcome...

A little surprise for me was this vinyl record to promote the Book ...

please check http://www.vernonestesclassics.com/memorabiliaandparts

and because there was closly befor X-Mas 1965
there was given the X-Mas Card also to the book sometimes ...

For Pat Mernone (often the Family Name was described as "Merone") i found a photo shooting
for the later Press Pack Pic, sitting in the ACE Cobra, dated in New York May 1965

https://library.revsinstitute.org/digital/custom/results?search=cobra+new+york+pat&collection=p17257coll1&CISOSEARCHALL=cobra+new+york+pat&CISOSEARCHALL=cobra+new+york+pat
https://library.revsinstitute.org/digital/custom/single-image?id=629907&collection=p17257coll1

and for the Stop in Charlotte there was also a nice Pic in a Newspaper, sitting in the
Comp Cobra 427

Thanks to Rich i can also post the Pic from the Caravan on LAX befor getting on Tour,
Rich identify the GT40 as P1018 and the Date to beginning of November

my personal highlight was to find an Shelby Invoice and something like a "Movement Report" to a company,
this will bring the hole "Cobra Caravan" to a new twist ...

Gladfully we can confirm which Cars exactly was on the Tour, inclusiv the Car Numbers
totally there was 6 Cars on the Tour, 4 in the Caravan, 2 street driven as encourage

the Daytona was CSX2286, the 427 Competiton Cobra CSX3011, the Ford GT was P/1004 and GT350R was 5R213
the Red Street Cobra 427 was CSX3127 and the 66 GT350 was SFM 6S120

this packing list from SAI to Hi-Performance Motors was also a big surprise and let me and Rich searching meanwhile
all about the Tour befor the Tour

« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 04:04:54 PM by Szabo »

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2021, 06:03:35 PM »
Another Caravan aspect occurred to me and that's weather, due to the November/December time frame.

Obviously, based on photos, it was mild considering what eastern weather could have been. So it is amazing that weather was never an issue. I looked up weather reports for the following cities:

Nov. 23/ Kanas City: high temp: 62        wind average 13 mph       no precipitation

Dec. 2/ Detroit:        high temp: 45         wind average  15 mph     no precipitation

Dec 15/ New York:    high temp  45          wind average  13            no preciptation

So the Caravan managed to dodge snow, rain, or deep freeze temperatures. Kanas City had a heat wave while Detroit  and NY was relatively cool with a wind chill. Not a big deal for easterners, but turn out might have been reduced. 

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2021, 07:39:04 PM »
That is a very good point.
November thru December is cool to cold in the east, but ending in mid December in Providence, RI seems a bit risky.
Running the tour in reverse, might have been a safer alternative, but in the end it all worked out fine.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2021, 09:15:53 PM »
Looks like there had been a recent rain at SAI too.  A couple of large puddles visible in the pix with CS in the black GT40.

I think the very top of that photo has been airbrushed.  Notice the greyed-out background past the blast wall? 
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2021, 11:26:34 PM »
Here's a photo of the Cobra Caravan hauler at Riverside for the ARRC ( American Road Race Of Champions) event, late November

Mike

(photo: Wayne Hill, from the Steve Holmes "Racing Mustangs" book published 2020, by Veloce)

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2021, 11:40:39 AM »
Thanks Mike, I saw the photo, but never thought to post it here.

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2021, 03:00:41 AM »
Here is the entire Francis Ford image from reply 72 posting.

Take care

Cory