Author Topic: 1968 Shelby #101 up for auction  (Read 15512 times)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: 1968 Shelby #101 up for auction
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2021, 09:24:59 AM »
Pictures of Barrett-Jackson display

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2021, 10:07:03 AM »
^^^ Very nice display!

I would imagine Conelec hasn't had this much marketing since the late '60s early '70s  :D

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2021, 10:07:56 AM »
I think you are correct

Illinicane

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2021, 09:09:15 AM »

Before 101 goes live today, I wanted to once again thank Pete for all his help, guidance and wisdom putting her back to her engineering days.  I would have trusted no other person and all I can say is that Pete is the best, and i am grateful to know him and call him a friend.

101 is a special and unique Shelby.  She will be the legacy car in the Shelby history books that she deserves to be.

Also a call out to Phil for making me aware of her 10 years ago.  Who would have thought Phil?  Time has flown by!

Also to Jason Billups and Mike McCullough, who assured me she would get special attention, marketing and recognition at Barrett-Jackson.  They delivered on all three of those commitments, and quite frankly...........101, Shelby, Conelec and Pete Disher deserved it.

Hope she lands in great hands and is showcased for all to appreciate.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2021, 09:14:50 AM »
It needs it's own theme song music. Best of luck on the auction.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Illinicane

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2021, 12:17:11 PM »
It needs it's own theme song music. Best of luck on the auction.

She sure does!  Thanks Doug!

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2021, 12:19:20 PM »

Before 101 goes live today, I wanted to once again thank Pete for all his help, guidance and wisdom putting her back to her engineering days.  I would have trusted no other person and all I can say is that Pete is the best, and i am grateful to know him and call him a friend.

101 is a special and unique Shelby.  She will be the legacy car in the Shelby history books that she deserves to be.

Also a call out to Phil for making me aware of her 10 years ago.  Who would have thought Phil?  Time has flown by!

Hope she lands in great hands and is showcased for all to appreciate.

10  YEARS!   damn time flys .

Good luck  tonight  hope the new owner  shares  the car with the public .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2021, 09:40:38 AM »
I was afraid the gold color would tamp down the final sale price a bit - thankfully not. A very interesting car, well presented, and sold for a very good price. Congratulations to all involved!

Now that it's over, could we hear comments on how the FI setup affected power and driveability?
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2021, 10:00:41 AM »
Royce I dont have the exact specs for 101 but they are quoted in the Green Hornet documentary. Both cars have the 428 Cobra Jet engines. There is much better drive ability because you have no cold start issues and immediate throttle response.

68stangcjfb

• SAAC Member
  • Long Island New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2021, 10:08:52 AM »
Was it Craig Jackson who bought the car? He obviously loves those prototypes. Also, isn't there a third car (a 1969 black Shelby fastback?) that has the Conelec system on it? I recall seeing a Utube video of it some time ago.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2021, 10:32:08 AM »
Craig did not buy the car. I think he may have bid on it.

There are currently just two cars that have the Conelec EFI- The gold fastback and the Green Hornet.

I did have it on my 1969 GT350, but it has been removed and returned to its original carburation set up.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2021, 10:42:30 AM »
I suspect that the lack of putting the FI into production is circumstantial evidence that the Shelby program was ending or "they" knew it was.

It's actually a pretty good system that should have had more serious consideration for production if not just for the Shelbys.

EFI in general cleans up the exhaust emissions and because it is more focus able on every change in rpm as can be seen now with CPU controlled fuel supply, offers the possibility of more power, cleaner and more economical use of fuel. Who can argue with that?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2021, 11:20:07 AM »
Well the fact is that the Conolec system didn't get used in production by any manufacturer, likely due to a failure of cost versus benefit.

I suspect that the lack of putting the FI into production is circumstantial evidence that the Shelby program was ending or "they" knew it was.

It's actually a pretty good system that should have had more serious consideration for production if not just for the Shelbys.

EFI in general cleans up the exhaust emissions and because it is more focus able on every change in rpm as can be seen now with CPU controlled fuel supply, offers the possibility of more power, cleaner and more economical use of fuel. Who can argue with that?
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2021, 11:32:24 AM »
Well the fact is that the Conolec system didn't get used in production by any manufacturer, likely due to a failure of cost versus benefit.

Yes, absolutely but when you could buy a 428cj equipped anything for $3500, it wasn't cost effective at that point but consider the cost of bringing future vehicles into certification, then it sounds like a bargain.

There have been those who have suggested that sometimes corporations lack foresight? Maybe that's why CEO's get dumped every three years or so now?

It wasn't until the 86 that Ford went to EFI. Cars weren't $3500 anymore and carbs could no longer do what was necessary.

Interesting enough that GM had been playing with "fuelies" for quite a while. Since the 50s.

Ford always seemed to have the "not invented here syndrome" and Conelec wasn't Ford,
68 GT350 Lives Matter!