Author Topic: Hovander's High School car! - Boss 302  (Read 10775 times)

JohnSlack

• View Profile
Re: Hovander's High School car! - Boss 302
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2021, 07:37:36 PM »
what is a cross boss and manifold worth? my friend has one.

As with everything condition, condition, condition is a big determination in the value of the CROSS BOSS intake and carburetor. In addition to that which carburetor the D0ZX-9510-A (875 CFM) the D0ZX-9510 (1425 CFM) brings a lot to the table. The "B" carburetor is useless on the open plenum CROSS BOSS intake manifold. So if you have a "B" carburetor and the single four intake manifold you find yourself shopping for the "A" carburetor. I have heard stories about these carburetors being NOS but spent the best part of the last 50 years on display not in the best environment and having slight corrosion on the insides of them. A few have been abused, so even being brand new doesn't necessarily make them usable. Typically it is best to have your carburetor prepared for use by Kelly Coffield. He supports all the spare parts you would need.

As for the bigger "B" carburetors they are happy used in an IR application.
John

As an update to this thread and since this litle project grew out of the tuning of Mark's BOSS 302. I thought I'd share some pictures of a system that Kelly and I are putting together, Not to produce, but as a proof of concept piece as to what FoMoCo should have done with the BOSS 302 and IR Autolite Inline Carburetors. Anyway it is a project that Kelly Coffield and I wanted to explore after conversations regarding Mark Hovander's BOSS 302 CROSS BOSS tuning. So Kelly cast up the intake, The front cover and several other supporting pieces. Where as I'm supplying the engine, and building the internal parts for the extended distributor drive and the oil pump drive unit. The concept is to use only items that were available in 1970.

Picture #1 is;
The modified package sitting next to a concours engine package to show the package size comparison.

Picture#2 is;
Due to the shorty water pump being used the extended timing cover size difference is only 7/16" longer

Picture #3 is;
The height of the carburetor mounting pads are level on the Autolite Inline intake, the front of the factory intake is lower than the height of the Autolite Inline intake but the rear of the Autolite Inline intake is lower than the factory intake.

Picture #4 is;
The difference between the straight edge on the stock water pump pulley mounting flange to the shorty pump water pump flange pulley.

Here is a link to the BOSS302 Registry where the more complete story resides. Including links to videos and the Hemmings story regarding casting the intake and parts.
https://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=88291.0

« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 11:58:54 AM by JohnSlack »

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2022, 11:25:23 PM »
Wow! That will be cool!

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2022, 12:00:04 PM »
As I stated on the Boss 302 site: Kelly and John you guys are re-creating history (so to speak), and this project is out of this world! Excellent work!
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2022, 01:09:30 PM »
Thank You guys for the nice words. I'm adding one more picture shot across the carburetor pads of Kelly's intake manifold. This picture shows the overall height difference between the intake manifolds. I had a text from someone that wanted to know if I had any better illustration of height difference other than the front shot of both, this is the picture I referenced in my text.

John