News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Mustang Forum Article on GT350H and the trannys being swapped out. What?

Started by 6s1640, March 31, 2021, 02:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

Here is a story that if read by too many non-informed people will become fact.  I had not heard this story before, but is 100% false.  Am I wrong? Ford did not swap out manual transmission for automatics in the GT350H.  Here is the quote from the article:

"Adams also mentioned that most of the rental Mustangs were actually manual transmission, but after taking so many beatings at the track, they started experiencing clutch issues. To remedy that problem, Ford swapped out all manuals with automatic transmissions. It didn't keep people from beating them into the ground, though, so soon they were pulled from the lots altogether.

See full article:

https://mustangforums.com/articles/the-beauty-and-the-beat-up-rare-mustang-collection/

Cory

chris NOS

S7MS427

Wow!  Those stories were wrong on so many levels they are hard to count.  I think some of the statements are made to just make the story and some are inaccurate at best if not just downright wrong.  And of course this is how bad information gets out to the public who then believes it.  Now we'll have to combat another myth that all Hertz cars were built with automatic transmissions.  Sheesh!
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

gjz30075

Greg Z
6S2249

pchmotoho

We've all seen Shelbys name spelled wrong but on one hand can I count the times its been spelled Carol

gt350hr

Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

98SVT - was 06GT

Another indictment of the public school system. Lots or red flags for that career - another one that's too smart to do basic fact checking. Maybe she's trying out for a position with the Blue Lady guys? I wonder if she ever attended the Monterey Historics where she could learn the basics of collector cars.

Kristen Finley
Before she was old enough to go to school, Kristen Finley spent a majority of her childhood rebuilding rusted Chevy Novas with her dad. Once high school and college came around, she was still actively rebuilding cars, though she found out she had a second greatest love: writing and photography.

Now, in her last year of college, she's pursuing a bachelor's in Journalism and Media Studies from California State University, Monterey Bay after receiving her AA in Communications. She has been writing for three years, and as her school newspaper's automotive expert, she started and solely maintained the weekly automotive section detailing posts on car care, safety tips, features, and news. She covers stories for Mustang Forums, Dodge Forum, JK-Forum and more.

Finley can be contacted at krisfin95@gmail.com
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Chad

Looks like Ford swapped out the tach on his Hertz car as well!

Side-Oilers

What percentage of GT350H models (back in the day) were ever "beaten on" at a track?   Maybe 1%?

Dear Kristen:  "Rent a Racer" was a marketing slogan, not an edict. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Don Johnston

I hope that the Mustang Forum site gets these responses and does not allow the misinformation to perpetuate.  So much for quality journalism.

OldGuy

This is one of those stories that if read often enough, becomes assumed fact. Kinda like there's no crisis at the border.

gt350hr

Too bad she didn't know about the rarest Hertz cars, the 18 white with blue side stripes. "I" think 15% or less actually saw the track and "maybe" 5% had their engines swapped during rental.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: gt350hr on March 31, 2021, 05:28:46 PMI" think 15% or less actually saw the track and "maybe" 5% had their engines swapped during rental.

I don't think it was that high. That would be 150 cars on the track and 50 having their engines stolen. I can't recall ever seeing a period photo of a Hertz car on the track during their rental life.
I did see a new Hertz Camaro at Buttonwillow during a VARA school in 2020.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

69mach351w

I emailed her earlier today. 

As I am trying to learn as much about the first generation Shelby's it really bothers me that this crap continues.   

KR Convertible