Author Topic: 67 Shelby Center hood peak body line  (Read 2445 times)

cbrown

• View Profile
67 Shelby Center hood peak body line
« on: March 31, 2021, 07:46:29 PM »
So I have had quite a few 67 Shelby ‘s in the shop recently and three here now.  I have a variation on the  body line that goes down the center of the hood.  Two pretty original cars here  it seems  the body line fades out before it gets to the front scoop opening approximately 12 inches back.  What is correct for these cars for the body line? continue from back to front or fade out before the hood scoop and then start again at the peak of the hood scoop on the lower part of the hood?

Chris

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: 67 Shelby Center hood peak body line
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 07:59:48 PM »
I don't have the exact answer, but when studying photos I noticed the Day 1 pictures of the earlier cars had what appeared to be more defined peaks (all the way to the scoop) and even maybe a tiny bit more of a point at the center of the leading edge.

I know there were different manufacturers and that tooling got tired. Also over  the years cars get refinished and crisp edges get less defined.

67411F--0100-ENG.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 08:31:13 PM »
So I have had quite a few 67 Shelby ‘s in the shop recently and three here now.  I have a variation on the  body line that goes down the center of the hood.  Two pretty original cars here  it seems  the body line fades out before it gets to the front scoop opening approximately 12 inches back.  What is correct for these cars for the body line? continue from back to front or fade out before the hood scoop and then start again at the peak of the hood scoop on the lower part of the hood?

Chris

Hello Chris,

I have attached a couple of cropped photos of 0100's hood scoop for you.  The first photo was taken by Car and Driver in late November of '66.  The second photo was taken by Sports Car Graphic on 12/09/66.  The photos aren't the best, but hopefully they will help you.  I also looked at my photos of cars 0050 and 0173 and they did not really show the hood scoop very well.

Thanks,
Eric

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 10:53:35 PM »
Here is a good picture

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 08:33:42 AM »
Thank you guys!   I ws worried i needed to fix previous body work on a body line that was deleted...

chris

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 10:46:22 AM »
Has anybody compared the metal bottom vs all fiberglass 67 hoods for any changes on the top side?

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 11:16:58 AM »
Here is pic of one of the steel reinforced on an early 67 car.
I also have an all fiberglass hood that has a more pronounced peak all the way up but cant say that it has not been messed with.
chris

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 06:48:30 PM »

Chris

#02597 has an all fiberglass hood and is exactly how you describe at appx. 12 inches back.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 11:07:23 AM »
  So, I was out in the garage yesterday and I looked at the peaks of #0036, an early model with the metal underliner.  I also am building a Tribute to lil'Red.  Here is what I noticed:
 On the real one, the peak starts about in-line with the forward edge of the brake rotor hub if you stand there and look, look, look. 
 On the repop Branda hood on the Tribute, it is roughly in the same place.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 11:23:26 AM »
1073 has a louvered hood that has a line the whole length.
RARE  Signature Delete

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 11:50:23 AM »
1073 has a louvered hood that has a line the whole length.

Just to be clear to everyone reading .... #01073 has a louvered A/C vent type of hood
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar