News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Gold Hertz side stripes

Started by hertz350, April 01, 2021, 12:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hertz350

What brand/manufacturer makes the best G.T. 350 H side stripes?
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

6s1640

IIRC, 3M was the original supplier, so going with them will also be assembly line correct.

Here is a service stripe kit made by 3M.  You can see their trade mark in the inside of the roll of stripes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-NOS-Shelby-GT-350-white-side-stripes-S1MS-16224-C/164295337796?epid=1764026211&hash=item2640c3e744:g:DosAAOSwRvFfDhUk

Here is a gold stripe kit advertised as original service part.  It also says 3M.  The "Scotchcal" designation must of been a trade mark from back in the day.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1966-Mustang-Shelby-GT350H-Hertz-Rent-A-Racer-Gold-Stripe-Kit-Orig-OEM-/254856417613?nma=true&si=dSeh1F7IoeUTx5qglTJK7IL2zZg%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

So, I'd recommend a 3M kit.  Best of luck.

Cory

Bob Gaines

Unfortunately the vintage stripe kits can likely lose the adhesive ability after being on the shelf for many years . The adhesive dries up. How many have experienced a older roll of masking tape that when you try and use it the tape tears as you unroll it because the adhesive has dried up.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

There is also a distinct difference in original stripes ( I have a partial kit) and the replacements that I got in an effort to complete the original kit. Both are 3M products too.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

6s1640

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 01, 2021, 10:22:07 AM
Unfortunately the vintage stripe kits can likely lose the adhesive ability after being on the shelf for many years . The adhesive dries up. How many have experienced a older roll of masking tape that when you try and use it the tape tears as you unroll it because the adhesive has dried up.

+1
I agree with Bob, the older service part stripe kits are questionable on the adhesive still being effective.  In my post, I was showing the 3M origins.  Finding a gold strip kit is even harder than the white kits.  I believe 3M still supplies the kits in a reproduction.

Best of luck

Cory

S7MS427

Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

427heaven

The sticker GENIE has popped out of the bottle and is guiding you to happiness. Botta BOOM Batta BING... Poof- call Phoenix graphics in az. They have everything, you will be very Happy! ;)

hertz350

Thank you all. I will call Phoenix Graphics.
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

Bob Gaines

Quote from: hertz350 on April 01, 2021, 03:40:53 PM
Thank you all. I will call Phoenix Graphics.
I just checked and the ones Branda sells are made on 3M material and also identical to the assembly line kits. I don't know how accurate the Phoenix graphics ones are but do know of customer service problems and later model copy right infringement issues that others have had with them in the Shelby community. Even if (which I am skeptical of) they were the same wouldn't it be better to support a friend to the Marque which Branda is rather then a outsider? I choose to do business with those that support our common interest like Branda when all things are equal.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JohnSlack

As to original stripe kits, last year I purchased and installed a 35 year old FoMoCo stripe kit on my 1969 BOSS 302. It took care in the preparation of the stripe kits, my wife set them up in the guest room and took 2 weeks to straighten them out. The first three to four days there was no weight on them, then some of those air pillows that amazon ships things in. Following that she put a small magazine on the sections of the stripes that were still raised. Ultimately the stripes on the installation day were ready, these are the huge 1969 stripes down to the thin stripes on the rear decklid. I've had no issues with the glue.
John

427heaven

They are probably the largest graphics company in the US, supporting all of the marques, and on top of all that many people buy their product and relabel it for the collector market. If you need something made they have the graphic design department to do it, the fit, finish and timely manor in which they handle your order is better then most companies. I (we)all support BRANDA with many different orders but when it comes to specialty items like custom or ORIGINAL graphics they are top notch. Sometimes you need to let people know where to get the good stuff. Good luck on what ever direction you go.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427heaven on April 01, 2021, 08:47:36 PM
They are probably the largest graphics company in the US, supporting all of the marques, and on top of all that many people buy their product and relabel it for the collector market. If you need something made they have the graphic design department to do it, the fit, finish and timely manor in which they handle your order is better then most companies. I (we)all support BRANDA with many different orders but when it comes to specialty items like custom or ORIGINAL graphics they are top notch. Sometimes you need to let people know where to get the good stuff. Good luck on what ever direction you go.
I can't attest to the originality of the stripes sold by Phoenix Graphics. I can with my concours hat on attest to the originality of the 66 Shelby GT350 and GT350 H stripes that Branda sells. With that said I think it is most prudent to support a company like Branda who has been there for the Shelby community for many decades.   

deathsled

I once had what appeared to be new old stock gold stripes  They were old and worthless just as Mr. Gaines described.  Nothing lasts forever so it seems.  Unless we're talking on a cosmic basis.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

You can repurpose old dried out original stripe kits in a creative way as some form of wall art for a man cave or shop wall. Let your imagination be your guide.