Author Topic: 6S1585 - on Bring A Trailer  (Read 3382 times)

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
6S1585 - on Bring A Trailer
« on: April 02, 2021, 09:37:03 AM »
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-shelby-mustang-hertz-gt350h-9/

Description from BAT auction:

This 1966 Shelby Mustang GT350H was originally used as a Hertz rental car in Virginia and is said to have been stored in 1972 by its previous owner, from whom the selling dealer acquired the car out of Colorado in January 2021. Subsequent work included refinishing and installing a replacement driver-side door, inspecting the cylinder heads, overhauling the brakes and fuel system, rebuilding the carburetor, changing the fluids, and replacing the tires. Finished in black with gold stripes over a black interior, the car is powered by a numbers-matching 289ci V8 paired with a three-speed automatic transmission and a 9″ rear axle. Additional features include fixed quarter windows, hood and side scoops, 14″ wheels, front disc brakes, lap harnesses, and an AM radio. This GT350H is now offered in Texas with its removed driver-side door, fuel pump, and front brake calipers as well as order sheets and correspondence from SAAC, an owner’s manual, and a clean Colorado title.

The car is finished in black with faded gold stripes, and features include Shelby hood and side scoops, chrome-finished bumpers, fixed quarter windows, and dual exhaust outlets that terminate downward under the rear valance. The seller states that the previous owner hit a tree or pole in 1972, causing damage to the driver-side door, after which a 1966-date-coded replacement door was sourced. The selling dealer refinished and installed the replacement door with glass and hardware from the removed door, which is included in the sale and pictured in the gallery below. Imperfections are noted around the exterior, as shown up close in accompanying images.

Chrome- and black-finished 14″ wheels wear Hertz Sports Car Club centers and were mounted with new BFGoodrich Radial T/A tires by the selling dealer. The brake system has been overhauled, and the removed brake calipers will accompany the car.

The interior features bucket seats and a folding rear bench with vinyl upholstery and textured inserts. Black carpeting covers the floors, and an AM radio is mounted in the center of the dashboard.

A three-spoke steering wheel sits ahead of instrumentation that includes a 140-mph speedometer flanked by four auxiliary gauges. A replacement tachometer has been mounted to the dashboard, and the dash pad is cracked. The five-digit odometer shows just under 93k miles, and true mileage is unknown.

The trunk compartment features a plaid liner and houses a matching spare with a Goodyear red-line tire.

The numbers-matching 289ci K-code Windsor V8 was rated for 306 horsepower and 329 lb-ft of torque in the GT350H. The engine bay is equipped with an export brace and a Monte Carlo bar. The selling dealer reportedly overhauled the fuel system, rebuilt the carburetor, inspected the cylinder heads, and changed the fluids.

Power is delivered to the rear wheels through a three-speed automatic transmission and a 9″ rear end with traction bars. Additional photos of the underside are provided in the gallery.

A January 2021 letter from Shelby American Automobile Club verifies that the Ford serial number on the car (beginning with the sequence 6R09K) corresponds with the Shelby serial number that the club has on file.

An owner’s manual as well as copies of order sheets and various correspondence sourced from SAAC are viewable in the gallery. Documentation indicates that the car was shipped from the Shelby American facility in California to Koons Ford of Falls Church, Virginia in spring 1966. An invoice from 1967 records that the car had nearly 12k miles on the odometer when it was serviced by Layfield Motors of Sandston, Virginia.

A 24-minute narrated video featuring this Shelby is presented above. The footage shows the fenders being removed and a detailed look at serial numbers and equipment as well as a walk-around, descriptions of work performed, and driving footage.

Video - https://youtu.be/tjiUuacQnVM

« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 12:05:34 PM by silverton_ford »

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 6S1585 - on Bring A Trailer
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 07:35:21 AM »
That could be really interesting for sure. I cant wait for more comments, over 65000 clicks on youtube in 1 day. I think somebody will bid this thing to the moon.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

T-Bone68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 12:44:10 PM »
I did really like this comment:

“Shelby experts are like the deep state, they will bite back and you wont know what hit you…along with the declining value of your car. Best not to get snippy with them.”

Not the comparison about deep state.  I just appreciate your expertise and know not to argue :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 12:54:40 PM by T-Bone68 »

Krelboyne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 01:09:01 PM »
That is Dennis Collins, car collector and in the Jeep business. Owns Collins Brothers Jeep, restore and sell classic CJ and Wranglers. I like his youtube channel, used to do stuff with the gas monkey. Used to......
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 05:29:40 PM »
Yellow paint on idler and pitman arms. Also, no shock tower washers, which is one of the earlier cars on my list.
Dave - 6S1757

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 01:51:50 AM »
Here are some thought on Collins' video:

Collins talked about the K/H proportioning valve as "added valve to help the rental driver stop the car easier because of the competition brakes."  He says it is incredible rare piece.  I think he is confusing with  the Mico Master Cylinder that came on the earlier GT350H's.  I believe this car is too late for the Mico Master cylinder.

I did notice, it appears to have the blue Gabriel/Ford  front shocks, which he does not mention.  Those are pretty rare to still be on the car, but if it was parked in 1972, that is why they area still there.  However, the word description says just under 93K miles.  Wow, that is 81000 miles after leaving HERTZ with near 12000 miles.  They drove the this car.  Good for them.

On the carb, he mentions the 112 number as correct, and he is right,  but only shows the C6ZF-F tag, which is the better proof of the original carb.  No mention of the C6ZF-F.

His estimate on the C6ZFF carb is a little higher that I have seen.  He quotes between $4K and $5K.  The last one I have seen was closer to $2500, but they could be more now.

He mentions the original fuel pump, but what was seen did not look like a CARBureTER Button top to me.  The ad says the fuel pump comes with the car, so I would assume they just stuck an after market fuel pump on the car to get to run.  The original chrome Magnum 500's appear to be gone.  No mention there.

I like the car.  I'd like to see the new owner make the car assembly line correct and leave the patina.  However, I'd recommend a more knowledgeable person to inspect the car.  Does it have the HiPo C4?  No mention there.  I am sure there are other items I missed as well.

Take care

Cory
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 01:56:16 AM by 6s1640 »

mgreene

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 08:24:09 AM »
It also has that $19.95 repo air cleaner lid.
'66 GT-350H
'69 428SCJ Mach 1
'72 Pantera

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 10:55:17 AM »
 Dennis is a car collector, salesman... He doesnt care if it has the correct air cleaner, fuel pump or washers on the shock mounts. He is a very successful business man and knows what he has, and what his cars should sell for. He presents his cars very well without his ex monkey business partner yelling whoo hooo all the time.  ;D A couple of take aways from the show... I did like Richards attitude, and Dennis' nice hair I tuned in just for those items alone.

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 02:01:22 PM »
Sold $122,500

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 06:17:03 PM »
Goes to show you how times change.  30 years ago, this car would struggle to bring $30,000. 
5S071, 6S1467