News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Starter excessive noise while cranking

Started by 67 GT350, April 02, 2021, 05:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 GT350

My starter seems to be loud while it turns the engine. Almost like a grinding cranking sound. Like gears meshing? Does it just need a new starter? Or is something out of wack?
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 02, 2021, 05:57:37 PM
My starter seems to be loud while it turns the engine. Almost like a grinding cranking sound. Like gears meshing? Does it just need a new starter? Or is something out of wack?
It sounds like something is out of wack which is why you most likely need a new starter. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

Yes, just went through this with my 66, replace the starter...
Dave - 6S1757

EdwardGT350

is this something new? mine did that too then i learned that ford had a recall because of it. ford changed the number of teeth on the flywheel(?) from 62 to 57 iirc. that solved my high pitched starter engagement sound.
1966 GT350 6s1761

64kcode

Also want to check the ring gear if its a manual trans that the ring is not loose on the flywheel and  turning on the flywheel, it happened to me and made a grinding noise while still turning the flywheel when cranking,

EdwardGT350

correct. my issue was the number of teeth on the ring gear.
1966 GT350 6s1761

Bob Gaines

Quote from: EdwardGT350 on April 02, 2021, 07:13:40 PM
is this something new? mine did that too then i learned that ford had a recall because of it. ford changed the number of teeth on the flywheel(?) from 62 to 57 iirc. that solved my high pitched starter engagement sound.
Your info is a little off .They started out with 160 teeth and service replacements are 157 teeth.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

EdwardGT350

correct. couldnt remember. thanks for the correction.
1966 GT350 6s1761

427heaven

67 GT350

So where would one buy a starter that is a good one? These days.
Also, I wouldn't mind a high tourqe started possibly?
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 04, 2021, 11:32:36 AM
So where would one buy a starter that is a good one? These days.
Also, I wouldn't mind a high tourqe started possibly?
A small block doesn't typically need a high torque starter. It would be considered overkill in most situations.

67 GT350

OK, So where is a good quality, either new or rebuilt starter place.....???
I used to buy them at Ford, back in the late 70's, and even then my parts guy would complain about Ford's rebuilt units. I remember it almost did not make sense to buy a rebuilt one because my guy gave me nice deals on new ones.
RARE  Signature Delete