News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

I got a pumpkin today and it's not even Halloween!

Started by Jbarela, April 03, 2021, 03:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbarela

So excited, look what came in the mail today!! Going to send my housing off to get painted now!! What color black should I look for to paint the housing? It's currently powder coated but going to be stripped.
Now I Just need to find correct backing plates and drums!

Can you prep the powdercoat and apply paint to it?

trotrof1

You are joking right? The black paint comment is just a ruse, correct?

Jbarela

Quote from: 2112 on April 03, 2021, 12:07:27 PM
Can you prep the powdercoat and apply paint to it?
I am not sure, we have a dustless blasting business so I was just going to strip it real fast.

Jbarela

Quote from: trotrof1 on April 03, 2021, 12:47:47 PM
You are joking right? The black paint comment is just a ruse, correct?
I actually cant find my notes when we restored our 66. I just remember it starts with DP. I posted late last night without searching the forum for the answer first. I am sure its here somewhere.

I think red oxide is correct, just not that red oxide.

What exactly is dustless blasting?

Jbarela

Quote from: 2112 on April 03, 2021, 05:10:11 PM

Hey there, no I was looking for the correct black to paint the housing, if I take it to a shop they will just paint it whatever black is on the shelf probably. I am searching my notes, I am not using the right key words in the search here so I dont know just yet.
Dustless blasting is with ground up powdered glass and water. No heating of the metal and is so clean and sooo fast. Take a look on youtube for dustless blasting, can do it right in your driveway or clean your driveway or strip your house of paint..its an incredible mobile system.

BGlover67

While you're at it, are you going to paint the rest of the undercarriage black also?  I've seen quite a few cars restored in the '80s that were done that way, some even gold medal winners. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Royce Peterson

Instead of air pressure it uses water pressure plus media. There are all sorts of large and small versions from blast cabinets, to gigantic blast cabinets with electric windshield wipers, to 6" hose type units for stripping paint from ocean liners. It's very good, prevents warping the part because the part stays cool.

Quote from: 2112 on April 03, 2021, 05:10:11 PM

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock