News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Torq Thrust D backspacing

Started by bhoulis, April 10, 2018, 07:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhoulis

I see that the 15x7's are offered with 3.75" backspacing while the Shelby Magstars have 4.125" backspacing. How would the 3/8" difference affect tire selection and fit with respect to wheel well and fender clearance? Thanks. Brian

6s1640

Hi Houlis,

The 4.125 back spacing will give the set up more clearance to fender, but less to ball joint by the same amount.

Cory

shelbydoug

Quote from: houlis on April 10, 2018, 07:19:57 PM
I see that the 15x7's are offered with 3.75" backspacing while the Shelby Magstars have 4.125" backspacing. How would the 3/8" difference affect tire selection and fit with respect to wheel well and fender clearance? Thanks. Brian

You may have clearance problems with the brake calipers.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

^^or the inside of the front tires may rub the outside edge of the upper arm, may need a spacer.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

bhoulis

Even with 225 or 215s? Wow. I always thought that the TorqThrust D were kind of a no brainer alternative. Ideally I would like to go with a set of Magstars repops but I spoke to a vendor who says the company doing them can't get the steel rims lately, either for repops or restoring originals. Brian

SFM5S000

houlis,

I have 2 sets of wheels, both 15x8. One set are the Phil Schmidt "trans am" wheels with a 4 3/8" back spacing and a set of 15x8 American Racing Torque Thrust D's with a 4 1/2" back spacing. Granted these are wider than both wheels you talking about. The point is both sets clear the upper arm/joint and brake calipers with no issues.

I'd post photos, but the photo attachment issue still exists.

Cheers,
~Earl J

bhoulis

Yeah, I thought the "D" meant they were designed to clear disc brakes. And why would you need a spacer? I would think 3/8 less backspacing would move the wheel 3/8 closer to the fender. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.....  Brian

6s1640

Quote from: houlis on April 10, 2018, 10:15:23 PM
Yeah, I thought the "D" meant they were designed to clear disc brakes. And why would you need a spacer? I would think 3/8 less backspacing would move the wheel 3/8 closer to the fender. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.....  Brian

Hi Brian,

I think you got it backwards.  The smaller back spacing pushed the tire and wheel towards fender.  Larger back spacing pull tire and wheel towards inner fender and ball joint.

Cory

Quote from: 6s1640 on April 11, 2018, 01:36:17 AM

Hi Brian,

I think you got it backwards.  The smaller back spacing pushed the tire and wheel towards fender.  Larger back spacing pull tire and wheel toward the ball joint.

Cory

Pretty sure you are both saying the same thing.

6s1640

Quote from: 2112 on April 11, 2018, 02:08:43 AM
Quote from: 6s1640 on April 11, 2018, 01:36:17 AM

Hi Brian,

I think you got it backwards.  The smaller back spacing pushed the tire and wheel towards fender.  Larger back spacing pull tire and wheel toward the ball joint.

Cory

Pretty sure you are both saying the same thing.

Hi 2112,

I think you are right.

Thanks

Cory