Author Topic: 65 horn toggle switch  (Read 8879 times)

Jbarela

• View Profile
65 horn toggle switch
« on: April 06, 2021, 04:06:16 PM »
Hello all, working with another member here on this.
Need some information and possible pics please. Would like some pictures of both plastic and metal thread switches, need to know what the thread size is for both switches also. Measurements taken of the switch handle as well. Thank you all.

DRGT350

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 65 horn toggle switch
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 10:22:13 PM »
Jimmy,

Plastic thread horn switched. A repro and original.
Thread size looks about 7/16”,

Dave

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 12:59:30 AM »
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your help so much. Here is a picture of an original one with the chrome retainer nut that sold on Mecum from the John Atzbach collection for a very pretty penny. And a picture of mine with plastic retaining nut, need correct chrome retaining nut for it but dont know the size. Bought a few lucas switches from the UK but they dont work.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 01:54:33 AM »
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your help so much. Here is a picture of an original one with the chrome retainer nut that sold on Mecum from the John Atzbach collection for a very pretty penny. And a picture of mine with plastic retaining nut, need correct chrome retaining nut for it but dont know the size. Bought a few lucas switches from the UK but they dont work.
Regardless of where and how much it sold for the picture does not appear to be of a original 65 Shelby switch . The terminal arrangement is different then typical genuine.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

whiteykr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 02:07:19 AM »
+1 I totally agree with Bob . That is not an original.

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 02:49:02 AM »
My heart is sinking here, I won't throw names out that validated, I hope my friend chimes in here. Thanks guys for your posts and info!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 03:07:39 AM by Jbarela »

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 04:51:13 AM »
How many different switches were used in 65? I have seen all metal with metal shafted lever, seen the plastic one with the metal shafted lever, was there a plastic with plastic lever like the one I posted but with a correct as noted terminal orientation?

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 08:27:13 AM »
Hello all, working with another member here on this.
Need some information and possible pics please. Would like some pictures of both plastic and metal thread switches, need to know what the thread size is for both switches also. Measurements taken of the switch handle as well. Thank you all.

https://shelbypartsstore.com/?product=original-1965-gt350-horn-toggle-switch

Clone65

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 09:41:30 AM »
Alternatives are out there.
Maybe not the best but less expensive.

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 10:57:51 AM »
My original exactly like Mecum auction unit.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 11:06:57 AM »
My original exactly like Mecum auction unit.
The bottom side should look like the picture in reply #1 on the left for it to have the typical look of a genuine one. That picture does not seem to match the terminal placement on the Jimmy picture.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Clone65

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 12:54:36 PM »
On the subject of the horn switch, was it normally mounted in an up/down fashion...12 being off 6 actuated returning to 12 when released or???
The reason for asking is that over at Concours forum Jeff Speigel has a picture with the switch mounted in a  angled position? (See picture)
Is there a more correct way to mount?
What is considered correct or??
For a small item it sure brings up a lot of questions.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 03:05:01 PM »
On the subject of the horn switch, was it normally mounted in an up/down fashion...12 being off 6 actuated returning to 12 when released or???
The reason for asking is that over at Concours forum Jeff Speigel has a picture with the switch mounted in a  angled position? (See picture)
They were typically mounted so that the toggle would move up and down. That one looks to be rotated at a off angle.

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 03:56:04 PM »

That one looks to be mounted for a Side To Side action.  Driver wearing Gloves while Racing with both hands on the Wheel, it would be much easier for him to just extend a couple fingers over to push the Lever towards the Steering Column to activate the horn and then release it. Sorta like Paddle Shifters but not.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2021, 04:20:10 PM »

That one looks to be mounted for a Side To Side action.  Driver wearing Gloves while Racing with both hands on the Wheel, it would be much easier for him to just extend a couple fingers over to push the Lever towards the Steering Column to activate the horn and then release it. Sorta like Paddle Shifters but not.
The question was "what is considered correct"  as it pertains to the position of the horn switch. I am sure it was meant in the context of the way SA mounted them. Of course a owner can easily personalize adjust the position of the switch to their needs. Surely you are kidding given honking the horn while racing , with or without gloves is not a common occurrence .