News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

65 horn toggle switch

Started by Jbarela, April 06, 2021, 04:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbarela

Gentleman... I tell you I know so much for our 66s from my restoration because of you all, but I know nothing of 65s so thank you for every ones help and support. This is the help and support I like to see on our forum not the bashing and whose right and who's wrong. It takes a village to raise a Shelby.
In summary
All 65 shelbys came from SAI with black plastic threads with metal stalks. As those original installed switches broke from use by their owners, the period correct replacement  that was available at the time, made by the same manufacture Raydyot, were the metal threaded switches with the metal stalk also holding the makers logo in the back "R" which looks like a B with my bad eyes.

texas swede

The switch with the metal thread has the same logo as the plastic one. I bought it from U.K. some years ago.
The handle was white so I painted it black together with the metal thread. Checked the logo with a magnifying glass
and it's definitely an R.
Texas Swede

Jbarela

So here is the one from Shelby Parts I am getting.

texas swede

It looks like the one I bought from U.K. some years ago.
Texas Swede

Bob Gaines

Make the threads look black and you are good to go.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jbarela

I am glad to know that it's the original metal thread switch used for replacement. I like the black paint idea!

texas swede

Don't forget to paint the front black as well and leave the stem and rivets natural steel.
Texas Swede

gbart14

It would be interesting to me to see a Raydyot logo on any Raydyot item of any kind that looks like the "B" or "R" on the back side of these switches. In my hunt, I found a seller of Mini parts in the UK who stated the Raydyot switches were made by Arcolectric of England who is owned by Bulgin of UK. Vintage Arcolectric and the B type switches share the same thread size and pitch as does the Atzbach all plastic switch. Nowhere in any of my searches for Raydyot have I seen a Raydyot logo that looks like the logo on the back side of the switch. If there is something out there, it would be fun to see it. If we could determine who really made those switches for Raydyot, then we might be a step closer to the grail.
SAAC Northwest President, current - 5S243 plus 65 Mustang coupe track car plus 2016 GT350, past 6S286

Jbarela

Now that the correct switch has been identified as well as the correct replacement it is interesting to find out about the logo in the backs of them. I found this picture of a vintage Raydyot switch and it has an interesting looking R logo on it. Have not found any other pics so far.

texas swede

Yes, the R looks almost like a J and B together.
Texas Swede

gbart14

I have seen this photo before but the logo does not match what you see on the back side of the "original" switch, whoever made them. Note this one looks to be all plastic just like the Atzbach switch.
SAAC Northwest President, current - 5S243 plus 65 Mustang coupe track car plus 2016 GT350, past 6S286

chris NOS

the original from 241 and the one i have on the car actualy , because when i make my kids driving it on my knees , they can honk  too and not risking to brake the original !! :D

mygt350

5S228 originally had the plastic threads and did not do well and was "retired". The attached is the switch currently installed.
Sorry, did not get picture of the R on the backside. But its there.
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

gbart14

Here is a close up of the back side of the switch. I am not sure if one can state emphatically this is an R or a B. I would love to see other evidence of this logo displayed on another product from anyone, Raydyot, Bulgin, Arcolectric, or whomever made it. I do know that the Arcolectric and Bulgin switch bodies from that period were both made from bakalite like this one and have the same exact threads on them. I have examples of them.

mygt350

Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967